So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by GHT, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

That's the only time I've ever used one of those GPS guide systems--when my wife and I were on vacation. Otherwise I prefer to look up the directions on Google maps when I'm at home, especially if I'm trying to find a residence or business I've never before been to because that "street view" function lets me see what the building looks like.

I submit slurring Joe Namath as evidence that football helmets as protection devices aren't worth the dynamite it would take to blow them up. Sure, they're fine if the wearer's head only hits the Astroturf once every 1,000 games or so, but that's rarely the case and that brain sloshing around within it's bony housing is still taking on damage each time, helmet or not.

I've never listened to an audio book either. If I want someone else to tell me the story I'll watch the movie.

Trenchfriend and Turnip like this.
  2. Hercule

Hercule Practically Family

I'm afraid that an audio book would be the only way I'd do fiction, which I otherwise refuse to read.

3. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

I wouldn't object to an audiobook of "A Confederacy of Dunces," but only if it was read by Ignatius J. Reilly in person, with due regard for "theology and geometry."

4. Edward

Edward Bartender

I blame George Lucas. Ever noticed that nobody ever reads anything in Star Wars, and there never seem to be labels on anything - just a few rudimentary symbols? I think the first time I saw a single book in any of those films was The Last Jedi, and they were the preserve of an elite few...

I'll take audiobooks over "Well, I've seen the film and it's basically the same thing."

LizzieMaine likes this.
  5. KILO NOVEMBER

KILO NOVEMBER Practically Family

I take a walk every day for an hour or so. I always listen to an audio book while walking. Now that I am rapidly approaching three score and ten, I find that listening is much easier than looking. I still read books, but not so much as when I was young.

I do find that when the audio book performer mangles a pronunciation I wince. Maybe I can cross-post to the "You know you're getting old when ..." and "It's trivial, but it really ticks you off" threads.

Edward and Zombie_61 like this.
  6. KILO NOVEMBER

I have listened to a recorded book version of this, and the performer was spot on with the speech patterns and accent that I imagine Mr. Reilly has.

LizzieMaine and tonyb like this.
  7. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

Back when I was compelled by a professor to read and opine on Marshall McLuhan (the professor was in his thrall), I found him among the most painful of academics to read. And that’s saying a lot, considering how painful the writings of academics generally are.

Too bad, really, because his ideas are worthy of consideration. Yes, of course, Marshall, when you change the medium, you change pretty much everything, to at least some degree. Reading is not the same as listening, even when the content is identical.

We of a certain seniority have witnessed a fast-moving media revolution. About the time we get a handle on what all it might portend, it gets upended again.

A “retribalization” of humankind, as McLuhan predicted? Maybe. There’s evidence of it, but only if that’s the model one prefers. Just what is “tribal” anyway? And have we ever not been?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    Zombie_61 and LizzieMaine like this.
  8. ChiTownScion

ChiTownScion One Too Many

When you retire to an area where you have no familiarity from prior trips it's very helpful. That first year we could barely find our way to Costco or Trader Joe's, and travelling across the city to find some obscure fabric store would be unthinkable without GPS.

What we did discover is that there is often a Point of Return on the trip back home when one of us will command, "Okay, I know where I am. Shut her up!" We're learning to navigate the area without GPS, but it's been helpful in getting us to that point.

Trenchfriend and Zombie_61 like this.
  9. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend I'll Lock Up

See, that's always the fascinating thing about german "Apotheke"!!

Of course, they have to pay much more attention on what free/non-free medicament (not food-suppl.) you're buying, since a german law change, some years ago. And they have the duty to counsel you. If they don't, they theoretical could be made accountable in case!

BUT since many years, I know, that it depends on how you're looking and how much you want.
    If you're coming in, looking too youthful and beeing extroverted, they get immediately sceptical and ask about the medical backound, like they normally have to. I made this mistake once, wearing no cap and a blue denim jacket. :confused:
    But if you're coming in, looking visible adult and beeing introverted, diplomatic kind, they normally don't question your purchase. And it depends on the staff person, too!

Today, they even sold me two 200 pcs.-boxes of my classic 1.000 IU Vitamine D3, because I wanted two boxes and she came back with the 200 pcs.-boxes, which they hadn't available the last time.
    Even better! 400 tablets means 200 days peace. :D Of course medicament with real 1.000 IU by law, NOT food-supplement!

PS:
    Wanna learn German?

Medicament is Medikament.

But Food-Supplement is Nahrungsergänzungsmittel. :D

Zombie_61 likes this.
  10. Trenchfriend

Pick-up line:
    "Hey girl, I shower daily, come with me!"

:D

ChiTownScion likes this.
  11. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom One Too Many

You stole that one from Cuomo.

12. Trenchfriend

I don't know any "Cuomo".

13. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

I’ve heard worse.

Tiki Tom and Trenchfriend like this.
  14. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

Right. Like he showers daily.

Tiki Tom likes this.
  15. Harp

Harp I'll Lock Up

I returned to the office Monday after a three month leave and the sparsity of commuters still reflects
    the adjustment Covid has wrought on the corporate workforce. Several ladies with kids in high school
    and college have told me how their children are dissatisfied with distance learning. The work place
    I guess now accepts what was to be a temporary expedient is now a permanent fixture.

Tiki Tom likes this.
  16. KILO NOVEMBER

I have been working remotely for just about a year now. As a card-carrying introvert, let me say that I LOVE IT! My commute is now fourteen steps down to the basement and across about another fifteen steps to my desk.

I do not look forward to returning to the office. Maybe mutant corona viruses can keep this thing going for a while longer.

tonyb and Edward like this.
  17. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

You claim to be a card-carrying introvert, but is there really a closet extrovert just waiting to get out of there? The distinguished clothes and fine hats you wear, mark you out. Maybe not an extrovert but definitely as, one who has standards.

18. KILO NOVEMBER

Here's what I've said about the clothes when asked why I trouble to dress the way I do.
    "When I walk up to a glass door or past a plate glass window, I want to like what I see looking back."

If others notice it and like it, so much the better, but the style is there to satisfy my own tastes and self image.

I'm an "out" introvert, but maybe a closeted narcissist.

tonyb and Hercule like this.
  19. Trenchfriend

When you have to fart so bad like a touch from hell, you can use the excuse "Sorry folks, that was the Sauerkraut juice...".

20. Turnip

Turnip One Too Many

I would prefer „yesterday’s unfiltered beer“.

:cool:

Trenchfriend likes this.