Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just to provoke. Nobody lifts a brow anymore if a heavily tattooed bum with a grimace full of scrap behaves like an anti-social idiot.
Politeness is the new revolting...:D

Hercule

Practically Family
Just to provoke. Nobody lifts a brow anymore if a heavily tattooed bum with a grimace full of scrap behaves like an anti-social idiot.
Politeness is the new revolting...:D

Yes it would seem so. I can't tell you how many times I've been made fun of for being polite to someone. Almost always by the person to whom I was being polite.

Might it be that in world that rewards dishonesty a person would be suspicious of most any compliment? Or any other seemingly kind gesture?

Corruption is endemic to the species. So is cancer.

Last edited:
Yet, the world has been going straight to hell ever since the thought occurred to a Neanderthal named Grog.

Too much is made of “generations.” Sure, folks of that “greatest generation” we so laud around here sacrificed and triumphed in ways their children and grandchildren never did. But that was the world they were born into. They did what the could with what they had. That world was also more overtly racist and sexist. And so was the world I was born into. I thought and did and said things 50-plus years ago that I wouldn’t today. And young people are thinking and doing and saying things today that they won’t 50 years from now.

The sin is in expecting others to be finer people than a person is willing to be him- or herself. Do unto others, and all that.

It's not just a "rude kid" problem, as anyone who has ever worked in the service industry can well attest. The rudest, meanest people in the world are 65-year-old Karens. I find Gen-Z, on the whole, to be far better behaved.

That's the most interesting and confusing point in my life experience! The german 90s were totally opposite to now, like I mentioned in other references. Total turnaround!!

In the 90s, I was kid and teen. The youngsters after german reunification had such a high asshole-concentration, I tell you! That was surely the sudden opening-effect in East Germany, causing many young people going BONKERS! Arson, vandalism, agression, car burglar in smalltown in such an amount, you would never experience again!
Many kids were damaged by their parent's alcoholism, no joke.
But the "seniors" 50+ :D were (in general) classic polite and helpful, no reason for any complains.

TODAY, our seniors are sensory-overloaded, consumption-brainf....d, ill-tempered and aggressive.
But the kids and teens here in middle of Germany are (in general) friendly. Very less vandalism.

It was a mistake to give the seniors mobilephones. :D

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I remember reading a comic book story long ago about a mad-scientist type who invented an
"un-inventing" ray. He went on television and used this ray to "un-invent" television, and so on down the line, un-inventing all sorts of pernicious devices until that big red cheese Captain Marvel showed up to defeat him and reverse his efforts.

I'd like to have that ray today. I'd point it at all the goofs I see shambling down the street with their eyes fixed to screens as they have loud conversations with what appears to be themselves.

Love ’em and/or hate ’em, the smartphone is a world-changing technology, maybe not right up there with the printing press, but not far behind.

I miss the world made by the communications technologies of my early years. I miss the stacks of once-read copies of today’s paper at the end of the lunch counter. Words on paper mean something to me that the same words on a glowing screen don’t.

My fear is that with everything going over the ’net the ambitions of a totalitarian would likelier be realized. (Is there a digital equivalent to the clandestine printing press?)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Love ’em and/or hate ’em, the smartphone is a world-changing technology, maybe not right up there with the printing press, but not far behind.

I miss the world made by the communications technologies of my early years. I miss the stacks of once-read copies of today’s paper at the end of the lunch counter. Words on paper mean something to me that the same words on a glowing screen don’t.

My fear is that with everything going over the ’net the ambitions of a totalitarian would likelier be realized. (Is there a digital equivalent to the clandestine printing press?)

The most terrifying thought I could possibly have is that the Fascist/Nazi/WN terrorists of tomorrow are even now churning in the filth and muck of 4chan/8kun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112