So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by GHT, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend I'll Lock Up

What do you think is the reason, when primary-school kids, walking their way home or to the station, greet you with friendly "Hello."?

Looking interesting?

2. KILO NOVEMBER

KILO NOVEMBER Practically Family

Perhaps their mothers have told them that it is polite to do this?

Trenchfriend and Zombie_61 like this.
  3. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

Nah, couldn’t have been that.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  4. Hercule

Hercule Practically Family

In this day and age?!! Are you serious?!! Good one!

5. Turnip

Turnip One Too Many

Just to provoke. Nobody lifts a brow anymore if a heavily tattooed bum with a grimace full of scrap behaves like an anti-social idiot.
    Politeness is the new revolting...:D

Trenchfriend and tonyb like this.
  6. Hercule

Yes it would seem so. I can't tell you how many times I've been made fun of for being polite to someone. Almost always by the person to whom I was being polite.

7. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

It's not just a "rude kid" problem, as anyone who has ever worked in the service industry can well attest. The rudest, meanest people in the world are 65-year-old Karens. I find Gen-Z, on the whole, to be far better behaved.

8. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom One Too Many

I pity those middle-aged, white women who actually are named Karen. :p

tonyb likes this.
  9. Hercule

Or worse, the men named Karen! I went to grade school with a guy who's name was Kiernan but always went by Karen.

Trenchfriend likes this.
  10. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

Might it be that in world that rewards dishonesty a person would be suspicious of most any compliment? Or any other seemingly kind gesture?

Corruption is endemic to the species. So is cancer.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    Trenchfriend likes this.
  11. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

Yet, the world has been going straight to hell ever since the thought occurred to a Neanderthal named Grog.

Too much is made of “generations.” Sure, folks of that “greatest generation” we so laud around here sacrificed and triumphed in ways their children and grandchildren never did. But that was the world they were born into. They did what the could with what they had. That world was also more overtly racist and sexist. And so was the world I was born into. I thought and did and said things 50-plus years ago that I wouldn’t today. And young people are thinking and doing and saying things today that they won’t 50 years from now.

The sin is in expecting others to be finer people than a person is willing to be him- or herself. Do unto others, and all that.

Zombie_61 and Hercule like this.
  12. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

Every generation that has ever lived has imagined itself to be the ne plus ultra of human evolution, and it never, ever is.

Turnip and Zombie_61 like this.
  13. Trenchfriend

That's the most interesting and confusing point in my life experience! The german 90s were totally opposite to now, like I mentioned in other references. Total turnaround!!

In the 90s, I was kid and teen. The youngsters after german reunification had such a high asshole-concentration, I tell you! That was surely the sudden opening-effect in East Germany, causing many young people going BONKERS! Arson, vandalism, agression, car burglar in smalltown in such an amount, you would never experience again!
    Many kids were damaged by their parent's alcoholism, no joke.
    But the "seniors" 50+ :D were (in general) classic polite and helpful, no reason for any complains.

TODAY, our seniors are sensory-overloaded, consumption-brainf....d, ill-tempered and aggressive.
    But the kids and teens here in middle of Germany are (in general) friendly. Very less vandalism.

It was a mistake to give the seniors mobilephones. :D

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    LizzieMaine likes this.
  14. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

That’s that 91 octane stuff, ain’t it?

Hercule and LizzieMaine like this.
  15. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

It was a mistake to give ANYONE mobile phones. :mad:

ChrisB, LizzieMaine and Trenchfriend like this.
  16. Trenchfriend

Absolut!

17. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

I remember reading a comic book story long ago about a mad-scientist type who invented an
    "un-inventing" ray. He went on television and used this ray to "un-invent" television, and so on down the line, un-inventing all sorts of pernicious devices until that big red cheese Captain Marvel showed up to defeat him and reverse his efforts.

I'd like to have that ray today. I'd point it at all the goofs I see shambling down the street with their eyes fixed to screens as they have loud conversations with what appears to be themselves.

Trenchfriend likes this.
  18. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

Love ’em and/or hate ’em, the smartphone is a world-changing technology, maybe not right up there with the printing press, but not far behind.

I miss the world made by the communications technologies of my early years. I miss the stacks of once-read copies of today’s paper at the end of the lunch counter. Words on paper mean something to me that the same words on a glowing screen don’t.

My fear is that with everything going over the ’net the ambitions of a totalitarian would likelier be realized. (Is there a digital equivalent to the clandestine printing press?)

ChrisB and LizzieMaine like this.
  19. Turnip

Turnip One Too Many

And every generation has the adolescents it deserves...:cool:

20. KILO NOVEMBER

KILO NOVEMBER Practically Family

There are all kinds of technologies to hide the identity of the user. Collectively it's known as "the Dark Web". I've never looked, but what I know of it is there is all sorts of scary and disgusting stuff to be found there.