Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ich bin Deutscher, ich muss so einen Ton haben…Folklore und so…

Ich gelobe, sarkastische Bemerkungen künftig durch „“ für Dich kenntlich zu machen.

Deine Fragen:

How much would you attribute Weimar to Hitler's ascendance? And Junker acquiescence?
And, of course, German academic/culture lead within Europe? Such contradiction against proletariat subservience.

…sind allerdings auf so vielen Ebenen und sehr vorsichtig ausgedrückt unpräzise, verkürzend falsch, zeugen von seit Jahrzehnten überholten Thesen und ebenso lange überwunden geglaubter, einem Historiker denkbar schlecht zu Gesicht stehender Hybris, daß man sie im 21. Jahrhundert wohl kaum anders als mit der im deutschen Sprachraum geläufigen Schulnote UNGENÜGEND / 6 bewerten könnte.

In diesem Sinne wünsche ich Dir erfolgreichen Erkenntnisgewinn für das Jahr 2022 und alle weiteren, die da noch folgen mögen.

Edith: Komma removed.

Last edited:
It seems very difficult to find a simple, thin hoodie jacket or Parka without padding, these days!

I have a really nice fieldjacket-Parka, I love to wear, but I just want a similar one without padding, so that I can move quickly while hiking, without the strong sweating.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
If money is a concern he might look at the M65 field jacket instead. Depending on the manufacturer, the prices on the M51s sure have skyrocketed since I last shopped for one.

I wore my issue keepsake field jackets around campus; including camo, which caused some speculative
derisive comment and the twin OD greens showed 101st Airborne and Special Forces alumnus status.
Eventually I stuck with the black, which being nondescript fit the bill.

Picked up a replacement black with removable liner. An adaptable garment, neither classic nor appropriate for every day or occasion but a great take along grab jacket.:)

Last edited:
The only field jacket I've owned that had any "alumnus status" on it was my first (which I think was an M65) that I bought at a local swap meet in the late 70s. I was never in the military, so I don't feel right adding those things to a jacket and misrepresenting myself as something I'm not. It also had a patched bullet hole near the elbow on the left sleeve and still visible blood stains down to the cuff. The gent selling it wasn't the original owner, so I don't know if that wound was the owner's ticket home or if they fixed it and sent him back out for more target practice. I lost that jacket, or perhaps it was stolen; I have no idea. But somewhere around here I have another O.D. and a black M65, and a button-in insulation liner that makes the jackets too warm for comfort most of the time. I just like them because they're versatile and keep me warm and dry enough for this part of the world.

Turnip

I wore one of these below as part of my board suit during service.

bw9509-008_546.jpg

Quite versatile and usable at wide temperature range down to -15C when additionally layered. Lining could easily be added / removed and cleaning has been simple too.
Had it once full of gull shit after installing land connection for the boat on the most remote pier in the harbor of Olposibirsk. Threw it into washing machine at 95C, no problem.
Pretty inexpensive when bought used at very good condition in an army shop.

Last edited:

Turnip

Luftwaffe is quite busy at the moment, lot of traffic in the air last days and especially nights…:eek:…with kind greetings from Ukraine.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Is it old age or is it common place? Most nights I will wake after a few hours sleep and have that urge to pee. Then I lay there debating in my head as to whether I can forget it and drift off to sleep, or not. Inevitably I will end up going to the bathroom, after which it takes forever to get back to sleep. Is it really old fart syndrome?

Quite versatile and usable at wide temperature range down to -15C when additionally layered. Lining could easily be added / removed and cleaning has been simple too.
Had it once full of gull shit after installing land connection for the boat on the most remote pier in the harbor of Olposibirsk. Threw it into washing machine at 95C, no problem.

Really nice jacket!! How's the weight?

Tiki Tom

Luftwaffe is quite busy at the moment, lot of traffic in the air last days and especially nights…:eek:…with kind greetings from Ukraine.

I am more concerned about this than I care to admit.

Is it really old fart syndrome?

I think so. At least I can get back to sleep relatively quickly. I go to a purely mental image where I’m sitting in the desert looking up at a night sky filled with billions of stars and, before I know it,… zzzzzzzzz.

Edward

Bartender
It seems very difficult to find a simple, thin hoodie jacket or Parka without padding, these days!

I have a really nice fieldjacket-Parka, I love to wear, but I just want a similar one without padding, so that I can move quickly while hiking, without the strong sweating.

With a view to doing a bit more walking in future, I have half an eye on one of these:

https://www.silvermans.co.uk/collec...ts/copy-sas-1940-smock?variant=39325375529014

Windproof, single layer. Probably fine in a light drizzle or a brief shower, but not waterproof. Breathable. Bound to be something milspec that fits the bill.

bw9509-008_546.jpg

I had a green one some years ago. Actually had quite a few bits of that era of (W) German military gear back in the day when the local Army Surplus place was my boutique of choice. Really practical, pretty good in rain too.

Never did have an M65, though I recall there being two, huge racks - one of green, one of over-dyed black. And the MA1s.... All original, Nam era stuff. For buttons.... if only we'd known then....

Is it old age or is it common place? Most nights I will wake after a few hours sleep and have that urge to pee. Then I lay there debating in my head as to whether I can forget it and drift off to sleep, or not. Inevitably I will end up going to the bathroom, after which it takes forever to get back to sleep. Is it really old fart syndrome?

I went through a whole phase around the start of lockdown where for several months I'd have to get up in the middle of the night to pee. Fortunately that seems to have stopped now. MY dad had a it bad a few years ago; he discovered the answer was to have a small (250ml bottles) beer before bed, the alcohol in that was just enough to drain his body moisture to the point where he didn't need to go overnight. My most common experience ta the minute is waking up about 6.45am bursting, so either I end up earlier than I want to be up, or I go back to bed, inevitable fall asleep again, and sleep in...

Hercule

Practically Family

The problem is that you're thinking about it and by doing so you're brain is transitioning out of sleep mode. Just get up and do it then go back to sleep. Trust me, I've become an expert at it.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
That's better than waking up every morning at 3 with a migraine, and knowing you're going to spend the next four hours pressing your head against the pillow in a vain attempt to make it stop. After the first two hours you start thinking about self-trepannation, and try to remember where you left the electric drill.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
That's better than waking up every morning at 3 with a migraine, and knowing you're going to spend the next four hours pressing your head against the pillow in a vain attempt to make it stop. After the first two hours you start thinking about self-trepannation, and try to remember where you left the electric drill.

Migraine initial visit occured while I was enrolled at Oklahoma City University School of Law,
the local Veterans Administration recommended Hines VA outside Chicago for a CAT scan/MRI since
I had family support there in case the diagnosis was bad and its civil affil, Loyola University had a
top neuro department. So, to Chicago I flew. In haste, I informed the law school and because class
lectures were unnecessary no problemo if all was ok, I'd be back. Didn't go over too well with the profs.
Or the academic dean. No tumor, doc said he liked my brain. Had migraine Hines ER.
A beautiful neurologist suggested an injection, signed required papers, hit with the needle,
thirty minutes later okay. VA prescribed Midrin, but priapism recommended another remedy which
turned out to be Exedrin for migraine. Works for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21