Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
I never went into television because I can't wear a sleeveless dress.

Discovered Ms Burnett while in hospital as CNN was fixed cable news channel on my room television.
My cardiologist came in to talk, but I left Erin on instead of switching the set off. My guy is Muslim,
and I am Irish; so too is Erin, and I remarked she was too fair a colleen to vanish from sight even
though she's liberal. Ecumenical hormones. ;)

And of course we all remember when VW Beetle bodies were separated from their pans and fiberglass dune buggy bodies bolted on to take their place. Those things were pretty much a daily sight 50 years ago.

I still want one ...

purple_meyers_manx.JPG

I still want one ...
Oh, well then, step right up, Sir, and move into 2019:

rp61l7b.jpg

Yes, that's right, the good people at Volkswagen have updated the old Myers Manx and created...ugh...the "ID Buggy". Just a prototype version at the moment, of course, but in keeping with the times it is an all-electric, zero emissions, won't-harm-the-environment-until-the-batteries-die, potentially street legal version...that Volkswagen still hasn't quite pulled the trigger on. Earlier projections were for a 2023 release...maybe...somewhere...

A general media question.
Is this Netflix and its competitors something like a musthave and do I miss something, without it? Or was it just another fashion trend of the last five years? Is there so much good stuff in to bring a surplus value?

Hercule

Practically Family
Dovetail this with Ukranian application for frozen terrain most conducive to Russian T-72; T-80; T-90
tanks and field artillery 152s, 180s guns; with warmer weather such heavy armor and gunnery would
have a difficult traverse. Factor in the China Olympics, et al and tactical necessity damascene favors
late February or early March invasion. ;)

Rasputitsa can be considered both a blessing and a curse.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
And of course we all remember when VW Beetle bodies were separated from their pans and fiberglass dune buggy bodies bolted on to take their place. Those things were pretty much a daily sight 50 years ago.
My brother just sold his metallic blue Fibre glass Dune buggy.

He kept his personalized plates - IBBUGGIN.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Is this Netflix and its competitors something like a musthave and do I miss something, without it? Or was it just another fashion trend of the last five years? Is there so much good stuff in to bring a surplus value?

We have Netflix, Amazon and Crave (a Canadian streaming service).

Over a month, we feel we watch more than enough, between our grown up stuff and our daughters' viewing, to get value.

We look at it this way - back in the day, we would rent a movie. A new one, maybe $3.95. Older, $1.99. One disk of a TV series, maybe 4 episodes, same thing.

Pay per view, you pay $4.99 at least for a recent release, more if it is "still in the theatres".

If we added up even the low end fees for what we all watch in a month, we are saving big time.

Plus, they do produce their own films and shows, many of which we enjoy.

Your mileage may vary though, if you do not watch much.

Last edited:

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Rasputitsa can be considered both a blessing and a curse.

Soviet T-34s weigh in at 26-27 tons, and firm terrain more properly suit armor tonnage.
As for dual season strategy, tactical immediacy preface diplomatic overtures, additional
disciplinary factors weigh in too, time kicks in with placed troops. A protracted stand-down
is bad poker, even for highly disciplined forces. This concentration of force with its mass cumulative
seems poised now for attack.

Unlike "Paramount +", "Disney +", and the other streaming services currently available, Netflix started out with no original content--they were a DVD rental service that operated by mail. You would go online, order the movies you wanted to see, and they would mail you the DVD(s). In 2007 they switched to a streaming service and began partnering with other companies to increase their content, but were still limited and eventually began producing their own shows and movies.

Now? Well, if they're the only provider of whatever you want to watch, yeah, you have to sign up and pay them; that's no different from the other streaming services. But "must have"? No; not in my opinion, anyway. We signed up with them back in 2015 because of a documentary they hosted that I wanted to see, and we found a few shows and movies we liked. But for us maybe 5-10% of their selection is worth watching, and the rest is rubbish.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
News coverage of Russian naval movement toward the Black Sea make more
probable Ukraine invasion though this incursion will in all likelihood prove limited.
Assessing primary and secondary objectives against cost shirtfront poker has
Russia playng a tablestakes game. A small pot, not raking in a whole country.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
annoyed.jpg

Is anybody else getting this extremely annoying photo right across the page? It even blocks the scroll so that I can't move the page up and down.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 401546
Whose been watching ABC, you mind you don't need the confessional! I might need to join you, having just pictured in my imagination....

I would avail Sapphic poetic verse, the Rose being the eye of flowers,
and the lightning of beauty; and this English rose strikes lightning,
its thunder echoes within my heart. As Frost noted poetry's immortal
wound, poetic confluence amidst the human heart strikes an arrow
of such acute sharpness so as to rival Cupid's keenest dart.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I loathe corporatespeak more than just about anything else in the vast expanding universe, but I have learned, grudgingly, to coexist in a world where it is spoken, albeit by non-self-aware dipspits. But my tolerance is being sorely tested this week by the sudden prominence in my workplace of the word "onboarding." I refuse to call "training" anything but training, and if this makes me an obstructionist, well, I'll see you in the parking lot at dawn.

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was about to say “you need to onboard a better attitude, Lizzie.”

But a careful reading of your post brought me to the realization that I would have been misusing the verb (?) ”to onboard”. So I looked it up and realized, yes, I’ve been misunderstanding that bit of jargon for years. Not only that, but it also doesn’t mean “training” either, per se. Apparently it means a combination of being hired (brought on board), receiving orientation and being brought up to speed and trained, AND developing a work plan and goals. I think my head is going to explode. Leave it to HR to develop such a dense and unintelligible word usage. Sheesh.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I loathe corporatespeak more than just about anything else in the vast expanding universe, but I have learned, grudgingly, to coexist in a world where it is spoken, albeit by non-self-aware dipspits. But my tolerance is being sorely tested this week by the sudden prominence in my workplace of the word "onboarding." I refuse to call "training" anything but training, and if this makes me an obstructionist, well, I'll see you in the parking lot at dawn.
Onboarding? Corporatespeak? Lizzie, are you becoming an Anglophile?
Americanisms that grate on the eyes & ears.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters