Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Onboarding? Corporatespeak? Lizzie, are you becoming an Anglophile?
Americanisms that grate on the eyes & ears.
Oh, my.

Many of these are on my personal "to loathe" list, regardless of country of origin. Or as Sheridan Whiteside would say, were he alive today, "Going forward, I may vomit."

And besides, everybody knows the real word for that thing in the grocery store you push around with wheels on it is "carriage."

An old girlfriend was an “HR professional.” She had a master’s in “industrial relations,” which was something of a euphemism. She worked for the bad guys, and she knew it. She escaped to an ashram.

And then there was that other old girlfriend who for a spell wrote employee handbooks and such for an “employee relations” (another euphemism) outfit, until she took a job with a for-profit “educational institute” (ditto) run by a guy whose books and trite motivational radio spots she wrote without credit, not that she necessarily wanted it.

What amused me was how seriously this stuff was received, often by people worldly enough to see right through it.

Sounds to me like a bunch of people with too much time on their hands if they have nothing better to do than complain so vehemently about relatively unimportant colloquialisms. Then again, what do I know?

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
Sounds to me like a bunch of people with too much time on their hands if they have nothing better to do than complain so vehemently about relatively unimportant colloquialisms. Then again, what do I know?
A drop of water on the head can be startling and mildly annoying. A series of frequent drops is known as "The Chinese Water Torture". Please excuse the term if you see it as AAPI, it's just the common parlance description.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Oh, my.

Many of these are on my personal "to loathe" list, regardless of country of origin. Or as Sheridan Whiteside would say, were he alive today, "Going forward, I may...."

Alexader Woollcott might have been good company around a luncheon table
but has a house guest his caustic 'snipwit' personality would have showed his exit.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
My wife Tina is in the process of making me a pair of khaki trousers. They will be a wide fitting with a turned up cuff. There's much that I can match these trousers to, one choice would be the new, faux camouflage shirt that she made for me.

Tina's shirts are excellent and I take care of them by wearing a T-shirt underneath. Whenever I can, I buy V-neck T-shirts so that I can wear the outer shirt open neck without showing the T-shirt.

Surfing around for the right colour, I just happen to come across this:
jill saunder.jpg

JIL SANDER

Chevron-patch cotton-poplin short-sleeved shirt​

£450
Jil Sander. (clicking on the second Jil Sander name will take you to the website.)
Tina's hand made shirts take her about ten hours to make, an artisan could reasonably charge £20 @ hour, more if they have made a name for themselves. But £200 would be the labour charge, add on £50 for the paper pattern and all the notions like thread, interfacing, buttons and so on and the total would be around £250. To charge £450 for the above shirt drew an expletive from Tina!

By the way, Tina doesn't make shirts for sale, I have the sole wearing rights, am I not just the luckiest fellow?

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Forget the hoodie and shirt, I've been trollin' for Royal Navy sub sweaters
and are they ever expensive.
...And talking about English product, caught a snippet on tele yesterday
featuring my lovely English rose Nigella Lawson.:)
...but she's priceless.;):D

Hercule

Practically Family
More of a low grade frustration than a source of anger: the lethargic pace of the wheels of justice.

Last May, shortly after my mom came to the decision to sell the homestead (at 91 she was living with my brother) the house was broken into and turned upside down and inside out in a malicious way few could ever imagine. We all had our suspicions as to who was responsible, but it was done and every effort was made to move on. Well, DNA evidence had been retrieved and in August an arrest was made, one that confirmed our suspicions. Sadly, it was a relative, a second cousin of mine. Even as a child he just wasn't right, and, obviously still isn't as an adult. We suspect he broke into the house back in 2001 when parents were abroad for the awarding of my Ph.D. Then only jewelry was taken and relatively minor vandalism done. Nothing ever came of it though suspicions were pretty certain. He has already spent 3 years in jail for another burglary, vandalism etc. A local news article at the time quoted him as claiming that he smears feces on wall as a means of releasing stress. Anyway, were notified of the arrest and have since been following his trail in the judicial system. His appearances seem to always get pushed back which is a minor source of frustration for us (for obvious reasons). But I know and understand that the system is overloaded and by necessity works at it's own pace regardless of a schedule. Hopefully the next date of March 25 will produce at least a plea.

Actually I have fewer worries about said cousin being on the loose than my siblings, as I'm 600 miles away. Mom still lives with brother, and with sister on weekends, and the house has since sold. It was bought by a young landscaper and his family, who, as I understand it , are making great use of the abundant acreage and are enthusiastically growing the business. Ironically, said cousin has worked (still?) for the landscaper, claiming ignorance of the break in and vandalism.

Edward

Bartender
My wife Tina is in the process of making me a pair of khaki trousers. They will be a wide fitting with a turned up cuff. There's much that I can match these trousers to, one choice would be the new, faux camouflage shirt that she made for me.

Tina's shirts are excellent and I take care of them by wearing a T-shirt underneath. Whenever I can, I buy V-neck T-shirts so that I can wear the outer shirt open neck without showing the T-shirt.

Surfing around for the right colour, I just happen to come across this:
View attachment 402764

JIL SANDER

Chevron-patch cotton-poplin short-sleeved shirt​

£450
Jil Sander. (clicking on the second Jil Sander name will take you to the website.)
Tina's hand made shirts take her about ten hours to make, an artisan could reasonably charge £20 @ hour, more if they have made a name for themselves. But £200 would be the labour charge, add on £50 for the paper pattern and all the notions like thread, interfacing, buttons and so on and the total would be around £250. To charge £450 for the above shirt drew an expletive from Tina!

By the way, Tina doesn't make shirts for sale, I have the sole wearing rights, am I not just the luckiest fellow?

Somebody should remind Jil Sander that at least Dick Turpin had the decency to wear a mask...

Forget the hoodie and shirt, I've been trollin' for Royal Navy sub sweaters
and are they ever expensive.
...And talking about English product, caught a snippet on tele yesterday
featuring my lovely English rose Nigella Lawson.:)
...but she's priceless.;):D
Sooooo, Nigella Lawson wearing a Royal Navy sub sweater...

;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy