soaking Shinki horsehide in water

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Americanaaa Mark, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Superfluous

Superfluous My Mail is Forwarded Here

Water soak Shinki HH? Sure thing . . . right after I finish sandpapering my wife's diamond engagement ring and washing my car with paint thinner.

navetsea, dannyk, Fanch and 5 others like this.
  2. Monitor

Monitor I'll Lock Up

Seconded.

Why not simply buy some old worn out jacket instead, rather than ruining a new one? Shouldn't be a problem for the kind of money you'd flush down the drain (literally) by soaking a Shinki jacket.

sweetfights and No.88 like this.
  3. CBI

CBI One Too Many

I spin/rinse cold water cycle most all of my repro military cloth jackets and put them in the dryer for 20 minutes or so and then let them hangar dry or wear them dry. Not enough for shrinkage but the quick soak/dry gets rid of that "new" almost shiny look that I hate. Not an N-1 or B-10 but army stuff and tankers actually

4. No.88

No.88 New in Town

What is all this nonesense of soaking an expensive leather jacket, or putting it in a tumble dryer with tennis balls to break it in? Incredible!

If you want a worn-in looking jacket, put in the hard yards and break it in yourself by actually wearing it.

(This is not directed at anyone in particular).

Tusche, Fanch and Monitor like this.
  5. Ralph Chen

Ralph Chen Familiar Face

Cuz..it is impossible to find a perfect worn jacket with superior leather and hardware That fit your size...not to mention those good condition jacket won't come in cheap price tag either ..and then u have to worry about fixing the lining ,zipper ,button....etc.
    Annd if I have enough money, I wanna enjoy my jacket like this ASAP ..not Wait for it to breakIn 10 years..(sorry I am really impatient) . I don't mind paying extra if Real Mccoy offer to do "worn jacket version " professionally like this.
    image.jpeg

HoosierDaddy and navetsea like this.
  6. Fanch

Fanch I'll Lock Up

To each his own. :rolleyes:

tropicalbob and willyto like this.
  7. tropicalbob

tropicalbob My Mail is Forwarded Here

You'd never catch a woman doing stuff like this. The inexplicable urge to not leave well enough alone and to mess with things belongs purely to guys. I had a friend once who worked hard to get a GTO, then he rarely got to actually drive it because it was always in little piles of parts all over his driveway. Same urge, I think.

8. Luminor

Luminor New in Town

That is the way to go.
    A couple of years ago, I bought a Schott Dur-o-jac -- that is their cheaper version made during the 1980s. I removed the lining because I wanted to have a more tailored fit. I got it soaked and wet (not intentionally, it just happened when it rained very hard). I wore the jacket as it dried on me. It looked great, even considering that it is not a fancy leather like Shinky.

Anyway, I would not try this on a Shinky or other fancy horsehides. The aging process is part of the pleasure.

9. Luminor

Luminor New in Town

Regarding shrinkage, I am in the process of getting my dream jacket, a Freewheeler San Mateo. Should I order it a bit lose to compensate for shrinkage?

10. Carlos840

Carlos840 Call Me a Cab

No you shouldn't, i have 5 shinki made jackets, none has ever shrunk.
    I also used a spray bottle to wet all of them to accelerate break in and it did nothign bad to any of them. (although i use room temp water and only wet the outside)
    Shinki isn't magical leathere, it doesn't need special care.

11. Alz

Alz One of the Regulars

Just follow this. These guys do a very fine work when it comes to age a jacket

12. Monitor

Monitor I'll Lock Up

NO! Nothing short of cooking the jacket for 30 minutes will make it shrink! Seriously, don't ever listen to that jacket shrinkage nonsense.

Fanch, Alz and Carlos840 like this.
  13. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

IMG_1944.GIF

dan_t, Fanch, Sloan1874 and 2 others like this.
  14. navetsea

navetsea Call Me a Cab

when this guy dies, he would then be tumbled into hell fiery soup, then ironed, then have his face sanded, and his fingernails pulled, and then healed back
    over and over and over again

ton312 and Monitor like this.
  15. Colin G

Colin G Practically Family

Like buying jeans with holes in them already. Or one of those silly Fender guitars made to look old and worn.

Boring.

Fanch likes this.
  16. El Marro

El Marro One Too Many

That is one of the strangest things I have seen. Even more bizarre is the fact that you pay a premium for these guitars!

Bamaboots likes this.
  17. ycloud77

ycloud77 New in Town

Just to contribute my personal experience I performed a blasphemy and machine-washed my real mccoys A2 in Shinki horsehide last weekend. Measurements before and after were the same. I even managed to stretch the length a little bit since the jackets was a little short.

red devil, Alz and Monitor like this.
  18. Alz

Alz One of the Regulars

I did machine-washed at 30° a 1980's jacket covered in mud, left it to dry several days outside under the shadow, changed all the rusty hardware, added a layer of Foca grease and then warmed up it with a airgun. The jacket came out shiny as the day it left the shop. No shrinkage nor any other issue. A leather jacket is not a religion and hides are tanned just to resist to external aggressions, water/rain as first ones.

red devil and Monitor like this.
  19. Luminor

Luminor New in Town

Thanks everyone for taking the time to share the knowledge. This place is phenomenal.

sweetfights likes this.
  20. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

It's not so strange when you think about it.

We live in an era obsessed by appearances and authenticity. One way to fast track or fake the look of something with "authentic character" is to get soemthing new to look old.

I'm not so sure this impulse is much different to those people who buy hokey craft ornaments made to look old (often in China) to hang up or put on a shelf and make a home look, well... lived in and authentically homey. We are all fakers in some way.

El Marro likes this.