Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Socks got to match the tie!

TSP13

Familiar Face
Has anyone's father or grandfather who grew up throughout the golden era ever told them this as well? My friends grandfather was a teenager through the 1940's, and enlisted at the age of 20 in 1947 and was stationed in Germany, so I wonder if that has something to do with it? Just wondering if anyone else has ever heard this.

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
I think I have heard it somewhere. When I was an adolescent, I got a dresser-top tray for holding cuff links and tie bars and such, and I recall that it had a stand-up chart suggesting color schemes for trousers, socks, and ties. It is a foundation of logic that if you can produce a single case that doesn't conform to a proposed "law", you must accept that the law is invalidated ("All swans are white." was an often used example premise in a syllogism, until black swans were seen in Australia.)

I often wear a red tie with a navy blue suit. Am I going to wear red socks? No.

DamianM

Vendor
Not exactly. the sock's must compliment though. They may have a hint of red.
I wear semi red socks with a pattern occasionally to compliment a red or brown tie.
NEVER WERE GYM SOCKS!

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Everything works together. If Red socks drive one crazy the socks I wear sometimes would really drive you nuts.:)
900x900px-LL-0330cf11_2011-09-0610.56.15.jpeg

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Johnny a friend runs a local Haberdashery and has a whole wall of Italian sock's.
I stop by and talk hats with him and by a few socks each time. I also will use colored shoes laces in my AE's
75b127985e4f60a5a41dd856953fcaf7.jpeg
I have this combo.
Plus about 8 other colors depending on the rest of the outfit and of coarse what hat I am wearing.:)

TSP13

Familiar Face
The only critical thing with socks is that they should not clash with the suit fabric or shoes.

However, ties and socks were often sold as sets in the 1930s/40s/50s. The ads appear every so often in Apparel Arts.

That's how it got started... we were going out to get him a new suit, and he freaked out about the ties and socks not being packaged together. Thanks for your input everyone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24