Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

//SOLD//1930s/40s TWEED SPORTSCOAT FOR SALE//SOLD//

Well, next up to the chopping block is this beautiful tweed sportscoat from the Carson Pirie Scott company in Chicago. These guys were really high end in their day. This one has some storage dust that needs to be cleaned off, but it's just surface dirt and cleans up easy - the other stuff i've sold from this estate had the same dirt, and it all cleaned. Here're the measurements:

Chest: ~22.5-23"
Waist: ~20"
Shoulders: ~19"
Length: ~31.25"
Arm: ~25.5"

3 button front SB notch lapel, seems to like to roll from the waist button. Patch pockets at the hips and on the right chest. As you can see from the pics, it is a large-scale herringbone pattern with white and dark brown flecking. Strangely for the era it has a vent in back, but images from this era often show this as a feature of sports coats. But the most remarkable thing about this one is the fabric. Amazingly soft for the era. Most wool from 30s/40s jackets is hard and scratchy - not this stuff. Plush and soft. Really beautiful.

Front, back, and side views:

CSPSport1.jpg
CSPSport2.jpg

CSPSport3.jpg

It has this great feature at the lapel (can't remember what it's called). A flap of fabric with a buttonhole that can be worn out like this:

CSPSport4.jpg
CSPSport5.jpg

Or tucked away out of sight like this:

CSPSport6.jpg

And how do we manage it? Well, there's a button on the underside of the collar to which this flap fastens to either tuck it away (left), or you can fasten it over to the other side of the collar in bad weather (right). Mostly on modern jackets these things are non-functional. This one is fully functional:

CSPSport7.jpg
CSPSport8.jpg

Skeleton lined in peach-coloured satin:

CSPSport9.jpg
CSPSport10.jpg

As always, PM me for pricing etc. First come, first served, though one member (you know who you are) does have first refusal on this one. Don't let this deter you, there's no guarantee that he wants it.

bk

slicedbread

A-List Customer
Baron Kurtz said:
And passing on for a very small profit . . . Dontcha love it when things are that badly listed? Actualy those auctions weren't so bad, i've seen much worse . . . like a certain German suit we won't mention.

bk

Lol, yes, at least this seller knew what era it came from...But it was pretty terrible considering it was listed in the wrong place. More power to us though, huh?

I, too, wish the houndstooth that I got fit me...It fits my dad quite well though! and the blue windowpane is just awesome in the sun...

slicedbread said:
Is this suit NOT "harris tweed" ??? If so, perhaps that accounts for the different feel of the weave...

No, not Harris tweed, but then the vast majority of tweed is not Harris tweed. This is just made of a tweed woven from very soft wool.

cookie said:
What is the actual size Baron? Is that what they call rolled lapels?

I guess so. And the size seems to be about 39-40 R i would think, given the measurements.

bk

MAGNAVERDE

New in Town
Wow, Baron, now that's my idea of a jacket. The great fabric reminds me of an ancient tweed overcoat I have that came from Richman Brothers, which I only remember as a mall store that was so cheesy that I never even went inside, but which must have--at some point in the distant past--had some really nice stuff. Anyway, the combination of coarse, gutsy weave & soft hand will get me every time, and my only disappointment is that back in the days when I wore close to this size, everything of this speriod that I could find seemed to be built for much larger guys, and now that I could finally fit those clothes I used to see, all I come across is stuff cut for my old build.

The moral, of course, is if it's too big, buy it anyway--and wait.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR