Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sold the wrong hat

ph33nyx

New in Town
I've come to realize after being on this site for a little while and doing some research that the hat that was sold to me as a Scala New Yorker is actually a Scala Addison. :mad:
Not that it's a bad hat, but now it's making me want something more like what I thought I was buying in the first place.

New Yorker:
new%20yorker.jpg

Addison:
addison.jpg

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I still find it fascinating that you can see two (or more) hats that look virtually identical on a shelf or in pictures, but when you plop them on your noggin, appear so different. I have seen this with two of the same hat, as well. Sometimes shaping and wearing in 'fixes' things, and sometimes it doesnt.

fmw

One Too Many
The only difference I can perceive is the angle at which the photos were made. I'm thinking if you like one, you should like the other. It seems to me you're going to be OK with what you have.

HeyMoe

Practically Family
From looking on line it appears that the New Yorker is 100% wool with a 2 1/4" brim & grosgrain bound edge where the Addison is crushable with a 2 3/8" brim and what appears to be an underwelt. So I revoke my first post, I too would be ripped if I got the Addison in place of the New Yorker.

Was this an Ebay purchase?

ph33nyx

New in Town
The differences that I've found, while they are very similar; is that the New Yorker has a satin lining, leather sweatband, and bound edge. While the Addison is not lined, has a cotton sweatband, and an underwelt brim.

Yes....eBay purchase.

I think I might head into Miller Hats next week to see what I can find. It will probably be more expensive (probably get fur instead of wool), but at least I'll know exactly what I'm getting.

Last edited:

Hercule

Practically Family
With all the various named styles offered by so many brands I often wonder what, aside from the obvious, the actual differences (if there really is any)are from one to another.

HeyMoe

Practically Family
The differences that I've found, while they are very similar; is that the New Yorker has a satin lining, leather sweatband, and bound edge. While the Addison is not lined, has a cotton sweatband, and an underwelt brim.

Yes....eBay purchase.

I think I might head into Miller Hats next week to see what I can find. It will probably be more expensive (probably get fur instead of wool), but at least I'll know exactly what I'm getting.

It's obvious that they substiuted a less expensive hat. Is there anyway to contact the seller or was the transaction a while ago?

ph33nyx

New in Town
It's obvious that they substiuted a less expensive hat. Is there anyway to contact the seller or was the transaction a while ago?

The transaction was a while ago. I did contact them after I received the hat noting that in their description it stated the hat was lined and mine was not. He just responded that he had "mis-typed" the description. [bad]

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Another reason I DO NOT buy off of E-Prey anymore !! There are to many alternate sources to even think about going there anymore !! I might pay a bit more, but I've had NO WHERE NEAR the hassle as I have had over 10 years of playing that game !! ( I know, I'm a bit slow :) but I have finally learned the reality :) ) Sorry for your misfortune in the switch.
Onward thru the fog :)

HeyMoe

Practically Family
Another reason I DO NOT buy off of E-Prey anymore !! There are to many alternate sources to even think about going there anymore !! I might pay a bit more, but I've had NO WHERE NEAR the hassle as I have had over 10 years of playing that game !! ( I know, I'm a bit slow :) but I have finally learned the reality :) ) Sorry for your misfortune in the switch.
Onward thru the fog :)

I still purchase items from Ebay and thus far have had very good luck. A few times there have been issues with shipping that the seller has fixed or reimbursed. The biggie, in my opinion, is to check feed back of the seller before taking a dive.

Paypal also has some built in protections which I have yet to use so I am unsure how well they work.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Another reason I DO NOT buy off of E-Prey anymore !! There are to many alternate sources to even think about going there anymore !!

Ah, but that depends upon many factors, especially what it is you are wanting to purchase! For me and the area I live in Ebay is virtually the only source for vintage hats. One might, if one has the time to diligently search daily, find a vintage hat for sale elsewhere, but the odds of it being in my size and worth the price being asked are close to nil in my experience. I have never found a vintage hat in my size worth having in any antique shop/mall I've tried. Ebay is pretty much it for me.

It does take a certain amount of experience to consistently avoid the scams or mistakes or what have you, but still it's the only game in town for many of us.

Cheers,
Tom

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ah, but that depends upon many factors, especially what it is you are wanting to purchase! For me and the area I live in Ebay is virtually the only source for vintage hats. One might, if one has the time to diligently search daily, find a vintage hat for sale elsewhere, but the odds of it being in my size and worth the price being asked are close to nil in my experience. I have never found a vintage hat in my size worth having in any antique shop/mall I've tried. Ebay is pretty much it for me.

It does take a certain amount of experience to consistently avoid the scams or mistakes or what have you, but still it's the only game in town for many of us.

Cheers,
Tom

I think E Bay is fun. I don't take it too seriously and haven't had any serious problems so far.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
There are avenues of retribution for ebay. If you can prove that the seller was wrong and wont make good on an obvious mistake, ebay (or paypal) has been known to refund your money and/or sanction the seller.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou