Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Solving the butter dish debate....

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
I have been recently lucky to finally end a slow debate regarding having a butter dish for Daniel and I to use. We have had my Mother able to use a container for what butter she uses, but we have for a long time now, not used one for ourselves. Long story as to why we do not use my Mother's butter dish, but to keep it short...she is 91 and has some bad habits about what she does to food and or food related items or issues. So...we have not used the butter dish and not even owned one for a few years....

The debate on it after speaking about how it takes butter to be in the microwave for at least 20 seconds to soften it up from being in the fridge, and that leaving butter out (in a covered dish) is a safe thing to do....we then started a quest in some ways, to find the perfect butter dish.

We have looked at stores and observed the prices on any of the fancy looking ones, were a bit ignorant....who wants to pay $31.00 for a fancy looking plastic butter dish? So as I am on eBay for hours at time, I found some killer looking butter dishes....but still on the pricey side....and then it hit me....we don't need fancy.....no royal daulton....just a plain functioning dish....and the name, "rubber maid"...jumps out. Nice seals tight and easy to wash dish, for less than $7.00 delivered to the front door by mail man.....for us this was actually a great solution as with all the other issues we face daily, this one was a blessing. A sort of humbling experience to appreciate the simple as much as we appreciate the complex and rare parts of life and material items of want and need. A silly as it sounds, it did wonders for us. I think it is great to be able to have thankfulness in our life. Similar to why we all love being here on the Lounge, too!

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Glad you found something that works for you!

I use a Butter Bell. Soft butter whenever you want it and the butter stays fresh for a long time. I see them all the time in the thrift stores for just a few bucks.

http://www.butterbell.com/how-to-use-butter-bell-crock/

Thank you this seems to be a good product to have an use.

In part, merely having the means to have found something we needed and for a reasonable price meant a lot to us, as well as being able to think slowly and seriously about how fortunate we are to even appreciate having something as simple as a butter dish...our values being strongly affirmed with goodness, appreciation.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
I seem to run across plain glass or ceramic butter dishes all the time at flea markets and thrift stores. They usually go for a couple of bucks.

I can agree normally a person does see those butter dishes in some small trove during a yard sale or a thrift store...but as much as we have looked, not a one! We even took a look at some that were in the local stores here, and the only one in any of the stores local, was far too much of a price tag. Then what K Mart had to offer, was a very poor design and would just not work too well, deep corners that would not be easy to clean and the lids do not seal up air tight.

John Galt

Vendor
I have a butter bell. It would work well in many areas, but it is hot here, and the bell-shaped design lets the softened butter fall into the water. Hand thrown french butter dishes often have an inverted bell shape, which might prevent this. I may purchase one, but for now I'm putting ice cubes in my butter bell.

vintage.vendeuse

A-List Customer
When it's hot here, I'm a wimp and put on the air-conditioning so I've never had the problem of the butter falling out of the bell and into the water.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff