Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Some Hats out of the Closets

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Chas N Polasky
DSCN4004.jpg

DSCN4015.jpg

Barbisio
DSCN3995.jpg

DSCN4000.jpg

Longs
DSCN3990.jpg

DSCN3984.jpg

DSCN3994.jpg

The Duke

One of the Regulars
Douglas, love the bowlers! especially the Chas N Polasky. How many do you have in your collection?

DOUGLAS

Duke, I only have a few Bowlers in there. This one is in good shape and is a 7-1/8. If you want to see more interior shots I have them loaded.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
The Bowler is a great hat. I have many of them even though not many people wear them today . They survived longer than the tradidional hats because of their stiffness. One of these days if I ever figure out how to post pics , I'll show everyone my collection of hats.

Steven

The Duke

One of the Regulars
I would also like to see your collection of bowlers! I have two so far one grey and black bowler.

Cruiser

One of the Regulars
DOUGLAS said:

Wow, Douglas, I really like this panama, and it is strikingly like one I picked up this past May in Vienna, Austria, of all places. I was walking by a high-end sporting goods store and spotted a supply of them in the window, so I immediately went it, they had one that fit me, so I threw away my inferior straw hat on the spot and walked out wearing the new one (I paid for it first). I love it because the brim takes on a perfect shape as soon as I put it on and pull it to the right place on my head. Mine has no leather sweatband inside, it stretches slightly to fit, and the black hat ribbon on the outside is elastic and removable. My only complaint is that the elastic black ribbon rides up, so it ends up in about the middle of the crown eventually. Yours appears to sit flat against the brim, which is what I would like for mine to do. I have experimented with pinning in to the hat, but I don't like that solution for several reasons. Any tips?

Also, your avatar is amazing--the fisherman's cap is perfect with your beard. I think it is astonishing how much the beard changes your appearance. Congratulations! Keep it up..........John

deanglen

Douglas, your present avatar looks like you're a North Sea fisherman, or a British agent posing as one to keep an eye on the Graf Spee. Love that shot! Here's your story:

Graf_spee.jpg

dean

Cruiser

One of the Regulars
Cruiser said:
Wow, Douglas, I really like this panama, and it is strikingly like one I picked up this past May in Vienna, Austria, of all places. I was walking by a high-end sporting goods store and spotted a supply of them in the window, so I immediately went it, they had one that fit me, so I threw away my inferior straw hat on the spot and walked out wearing the new one (I paid for it first). I love it because the brim takes on a perfect shape as soon as I put it on and pull it to the right place on my head. Mine has no leather sweatband inside, it stretches slightly to fit, and the black hat ribbon on the outside is elastic and removable. My only complaint is that the elastic black ribbon rides up, so it ends up in about the middle of the crown eventually. Yours appears to sit flat against the brim, which is what I would like for mine to do. I have experimented with pinning in to the hat, but I don't like that solution for several reasons. Any tips?

Also, your avatar is amazing--the fisherman's cap is perfect with your beard. I think it is astonishing how much the beard changes your appearance. Congratulations! Keep it up..........John

Further on this, the panama looks a lot like the one your great grandfather had on in his trip to Cuba (http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?p=200447#post200447). No chance it is the same one, is there?

DOUGLAS

Cruiser, I wish it was the same hat. That would be great. The Longs That I have is very stiff as I believe it has been coated witha type of starch. It is however in almost perfect shape. Too bad it is only a size 7.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
DOUGLAS,

I'm seeing one of the old salts from Eugene Oneill's early plays in your avatar. Nice! :eusa_clap

Also, man, just how big ARE your closets?

Finally, that panama has a nice patina. Have you had it refurbished at all or is it au natural.

RBH

Bartender
DOUGLAS said:

Douglas I LOVE THAT PANAMA!!!!!!
Seeing that hat makes me ready to recieve mine from PanamaBob.
You have some really great looking hats, but something about that panama is so classic. You look as if you stepped from the 1930's.
Is it a 'rollable' or does it have a leather sweat?
The one I have on order is rollable so I can wear my felt and carry a light straw in my suitcase while flying.
Once again GREAT LOOKING STRAW!!!!!
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

DOUGLAS

Here are some detail pics of the Long's.
DSCN3989.jpg

DSCN3993.jpg

DSCN3991.jpg

DSCN3988.jpg

DSCN3986.jpg

DSCN3985.jpg

The hat is completely original and unmolested. It is quite stiff as it has been pasted with starch.Never the less it is a beautiful hat,and if it were rolled it would snap. The only down side is that it is a size 7

feltfan

Geez, is that panama from the Long's Drugs chain? It does
date back plenty early. Just a couple of weeks ago I saw a
display of old photos in the window of a Long's Drugs in
Monterey, CA with plenty of nice hats... probably is.

Feraud

Bartender
I was going to p.m. Douglas but decided to post my comments here. Douglas, I want to thank you for sharing your collection of hats with us. Everytime a member posts pictures I learn something about quality, style, and selection.
Many thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner