source for this 2-ply grosgrain ribbon

Discussion in 'Ask The Artisan' started by busstonedfx, Jun 3, 2020.

1. busstonedfx

busstonedfx New in Town

Hi everyone, newbie here. I damaged a band on a hat I had, and wanted to replace it w one exactly like this picture. I'm told by someone who knows more than me that this is 2-ply grosgrain ribbon.. I know there are probably different grades...

I found some on etsy, that aren't necessary for hatmaking

https://www.etsy.com/listing/755411...allery-1-7&organic_search_click=1&bes=1&col=1

Are these noticeably different than what I'm looking for?

Does anyone have a bettter/more correct source? Preferably somewhere that sells in small quantities?

Thank you all :)

Attached Files:

2. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Instagram check out Purebeaver. Tim sells felts and ribbons. He offers pre made two ply ribbons in a variety of colours already done up with the slip knots

3. busstonedfx

busstonedfx New in Town

it seems his website is down... does www.purebeaverhatsupply.com work for you? i don't have an instagram account, i guess i'm gonnaa make one

4. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

I have only ever accessed him through Instagram. I don't think he has a website.

5. busstonedfx

busstonedfx New in Town

in his description he links to it, but it seems the link is dead. i'm gonna shoot him a message-thanks!

6. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

He offers both vintage and modern in a variety of colours.

7. busstonedfx

busstonedfx New in Town

i'm just looking for the basic, just like in that pic... can you tell me what i'm asking for so i don't look like a complete noob to him? :p its just plain old 2-ply grosgrain?

8. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

He shows pics on his Purebeaver Instagram page. It is two ply ribbon tied in a slip knot ready to install on the hat. $12.50 for the modern and $16.50 for vintage (or close to that amount)

9. busstonedfx

busstonedfx New in Town

this seems like the perfect source! thanks for the tip

I'm assuming I'll be fine with the cheaper, modern ribbon... what actually makes the vintage one "vintage"? The material? The photos I can see, without logging in, all look the same...

final stupid question for me: I'm putting this on a wool felt halt, that's "Crushable".

how would you recommend that I attach it? should I be using "tack stitches" to attach this new ribbon to the hat, in the same spots that the original (leather) band was attached?

Or should I just leave it loose? and remove it every time I "pack" the hat? thanks again for the tip!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020