Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sources for properly-sized pea coats? ...

speedmaster

New in Town
Last year I bought a pea coat at Old Navy that's not too bad, and only $40. But the Large was a little small and the XL was, you guessed it, a little too large. ;-)

Ideally I'd like to find a pea coat with the proper measurements like a real jacket or shirt. I'm a 42 or 43.

I remember seeing someone mention a couple U.S. sources for pea coats (maybe even legit issue ones?) with reasonable prices that were sized this way. Anyone remember them? I neglected to save the links.

Thanks very much in advance,

Chris

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
If you stick with the better American-made models - from Fidelity, Sterlingwear, and Schott - you won't go wrong. Cheaper imported pea coats from Alpha and Rothco (often called UltraForce, or with no particular brandname) are not as well-made or carefully sized as the domestic ones. Pay careful attention to the sizing charts for each individual maker, as they're all sized differently per how a given marked size interpets chest girth, waist girth, bottom-hem sweep, sleeve length, and body length.

(The presence of a back vent also impacts sizing - issue coats always have the back vent, but some older-look ten-button models have a one-piece back. In order to provide the same free movement as the vented coats, they aren't cut as close.)

There are lots of reputable dealers for Fidelity, Sterlingwear, and Schott, but some of the best prices on Fidelity and Sterlingwear can be found at the Barre Army-Navy Store:

http://www.vtarmynavy.com/pea_coats.htm

These guys are great to deal with, and the Fidelity #23232 is a steal at $100...

Peacoat

Bartender
Better yet, go with the vintage issue peacoat. There is a sticky toward the top of the Outerwear section that should take some of the mystery out of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace