Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SPAM and the Second World War?

jeep44

One of the Regulars
From a wartime 'Yank' magazine:

spam2.jpg

Sgt Brown

One of the Regulars
Guess what? What American GI's ate during WWII was NOT Spam! It was government-specified "Canned Meat Product" produced by - you guessed it - the lowest bidders. Yes, Hormel was a supplier but what they and others sold to the government was a lower-quality product than commercial Spam. What we got on the homefront (and, I believe, what was sent overseas on Lend/Lease) was commercial Spam. Similar but different.

Tom

LordBest

Practically Family
That reminds me of a story my great-uncle told me. He served with the Australian forces occupying Japan after the war, and said the American troops were always trying to trade whatever they had of value for Australian rations. He asked them why the American stuff was so bad, and was told the principle was:
"Nothing is too good for our boys, so nothing is what they will get"

Story

I'll Lock Up
A War Won With Spam (And A Few Other Things)

When America entered the war, Spam became both the boon and bane of troops. Because it was so easy to transport in large quantities, and had a long shelf life, tons of it—ultimately more than 150 million pounds—accompanied them. Though the services purchased luncheon meats made by other companies, all looked alike. As Spam was the most famous of them, all such meats came to be called Spam. It wasn’t long before the troops, seemingly served Spam three times a day, seven days a week for the duration, got thoroughly sick of the stuff.

http://www.defensemedianetwork.com/stories/a-war-won-with-spam-and-a-few-other-things/

Oh I saw this Thread and I know this is off topic but I LOVE SPAM. I know it is not Kosher and I am reminded often. When I moved to South Carolina many year ago I was introduced to Spam sandwiches. Made of Sunbeam Bread, Dukes Mayonase, Kraft cheese and Spam uncooked. First time I had one I cried never had anything like that before. Sorry just had to take a walk down memory lane.

matrioshka

One of the Regulars
I'm suprised no one brought up the term "second front" yet.

That was one of the Russian names for SPAM. It was a bit of gallows humor, i.e. that can of SPAM was the closest thing they would get to a second front opening up in the West.

M

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
SPAM is weird. I would only ever eat it if I wanted a really quick "meat-fix". Other than that, I wouldn't bother. I fancy that the Yanks who had to eat it every day either got damn sick of it, or developed a taste for it and liked it.

Bluebird Marsha

A-List Customer
When I was in Hawaii last year, I took a tour of a macadamia nut factory.
http://www.hawnnut.com/

I bought several flavored varieties. Honey mustard, wasabi, and... Spam. I hope I still have the empty can. Yes, I ate all of them. I used to love fried Spam as a kid. Sandwiches were great. This thread may have lured me into revisiting that old pleasure .

cooncatbob

Practically Family
Spam straight up is kinda nasty, you got to spice it up.
I like Spam on a English muffin with an egg, add some spices when frying and some hot sauce.

As a recoving Soviet Russian who lived in eastern russia known to us as Outer Manchuria from 1961 to 1975ish. I do not remember anything resibiling SPAM. Now we did have many food items and other things we got from the "Black Market Smugglers" from Japan and South Korea. You know I even called my Mother and asked her about it she did not remember. I learned of Spam just a few years ago and I have to sneak it when I eat it. We are semi-observant and my wife does not allow SPAM in the house. If she caught me with a Spam Sandwich I will have to live in the Conex in backyard.

~Pray for me and my addiction to SPAM~
Dragos

dr greg

One Too Many
SPAM? Never eaten the stuff, it's like McDonald's...just don't look right, but anyway, ever wondered why the world is divided into those who eat the pig and those who don't? Pigmeat is pretty much a Christian/Confucian thing....the rest don't touch it.....and it can't be a climate thing because I believe trichinosis is found everywhere in the world.....

Sgt Brown

One of the Regulars
Founder of the APS and world-renowned :eeek: mess cook, Dan H., came up with a great one for hors douvres at a luau we put on Saturday night at one airshow. Spam Hawaiian. Spam slices topped with pinapple slices cooked on the BBQ grill. Yum:hungry:

His son came up with one that is almost better, Spam chips. Slice Spam as thin as you can get it. (I use an electric meat slicer.) Plate. 3 layers of paper towel. Layer of Spam. 2 layers of paper towel. Microwave the living snot out of it until the chips are brown and crisp. May require a change of paper towels. Spam jerky. Great with (cheap) wine and cheese!:cheers1:

Tom

rue

I never knew there was such hatred of SPAM lol

My Texas born grandmother used to serve it to us fried with a side of Miracle Whip and my brother and I loved it when we were kids, but I haven't had it since then.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
One year we had baked Spam for Thanksgiving -- you coat it with a mustard and brown-sugar glaze, stud it with cloves, and bake it like a ham -- and it was the most delicious holiday meal we ever had. To this day I'd rather eat Spam than turkey.

Renault

One Too Many
One year we had baked Spam for Thanksgiving -- you coat it with a mustard and brown-sugar glaze, stud it with cloves, and bake it like a ham -- and it was the most delicious holiday meal we ever had. To this day I'd rather eat Spam than turkey.

Yes!!!!!!!Absolutely!!!!!! We always had it fried in a pan with carmelized brown sugar!!!!! (If we were good!!!!) Mmmmmmmm!!!! Still love it that way! Also you can't have a good seafood gumbo without several whole chunks of spam simmering away in the pot!!!!

Renault

MPicciotto

Practically Family

At one time I think that recipe might have been on the can!

As for APS cooks and SPAM. One year at Geneseo Don Jr. was our cookie and we had SPAM sandwiches for lunch. The left over SPAM he sliced and put on a cracker with some spices and cheese. Kids were going gaga over the stuff having never experienced it. Funniest thing to watch.

Matt

National Geographic Magazine, November 1939

3274670887_5b7cbc50bc.jpg

For years I had that particular issue of National Geographic and when perusing the ad I used to wonder if anybody had ever actually made baked Spam.

I do confess to having a certain partiality to Spam. I like to make Jambalaya in which I use Zatarain's Jambalaya mix, diced Hot and Spicy Spam, and a can of Italian-style diced tomatoes. :hungry::)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo