Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Speakeasies...!!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

In the 1990s, Jim Fittipaldi had the greatest Wednesday night speakeasies at his residential loft on Molino Street in downtown Los Angeles's warehouse district.

By invitation only (sort of). Billiards table, two bars, sofas everywhere, massive poker table -- the works. People still talk about those nights ...

Did any other Loungers attend them?

Jim Fittipaldi: "I was throwing events at my Molino Street loft: mostly art openings and what we called 'speakeasies.' I am drawn to the days of cafe society, when people got together to talk and socialize, exchange ideas. My parties were on a Wednesday night starting at midnight. I served up my version of cafe society to the local artists in my community.

It was a blast to have 200 creative people in one room all discussing art, fashion, film, music and theater. It wasn’t just all visual artists; there were painters, sculptors, writers, black jazz musicians from South Central, actors from both film and theater, dancers, publicists, and the occasional tourist. They were the best parties in town; a room full of creative people that didn’t all do the same thing.

Pretty soon, the word got out, but not to Hollywood. It got out to New York and Europe. I’d have people showing up who’d heard about these gatherings in Germany or London. New York writers and actors would show up after hearing about it only once, and find their way back a week or so later to that urban backwater, Molino Street. Did you know that when the Kor Group started advertising that building as high-end loft condos, their pitch was that the building was a mecca for the creative art hub of downtown Los Angeles, where all the artists meet? That was me."

tuppence

Practically Family
BinkieBaumont said:
2471001513_4c241b483d_m.jpg

"A delightful New Years evening at "The Jazz Cellar" I took my visiting US friends, there, they were rather dubious about wandering down a dark alley and into a phone Box"

Binkie that is brilliant. I definitely have to visit.

BowTieSoFly

New in Town
Travel advice

I'll be in NY in two weeks and was looking for guidance on venues that are open to those of the under 21 persuasion but still looking for a classy time. If I look the part (and I'm planning on it) would I be allowed in for a root beer?

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Brooksie said:
Huber's deserves to be on your list - they also make most excellent coctails. They have creme de violet so they can make the original version of the Aviation Coctail plus they also make the most wonderful Spanish Coffee which is actually their specialty and what they are known for. The bartender comes right to your table and makes it for you. It is quite a show they light the drink on fire and everything! The bartender and the wait staff all dress with button up white shirts, bow ties, black slacks on the guys and long black skirts on the women with a long white apron. They also play old time jazz which is a plus in my book because it always seems strange when a place has the old time decor or has been around for a century or longer and they play modern day rock etc...

Brooksie

Ah, this is fantastic to know. We've been visiting family in Tigard often and enjoy Portland very much. We are actually planning on moving up to that area fairly soon. I believe I will celebrate our move at Huber's. Thanks for the info Brooksie!:eusa_clap

Cheers!

Dan

Marla

A-List Customer
BowTieSoFly said:
I'll be in NY in two weeks and was looking for guidance on venues that are open to those of the under 21 persuasion but still looking for a classy time. If I look the part (and I'm planning on it) would I be allowed in for a root beer?

Good question, I've been wondering the same thing as I'll be going there at the end of next month. I'd really like to go to Club Wit's End but I'm pretty sure they're strict on the no one under 21 rule (and for good reasons, for the most part).

Mr Vim

One Too Many
My time in New York was limited to day trip and weekends only, but there were few bars that allowed any under 21 folk. And the clubs that were 18 and up were never that much fun either... I don't know, can anyone frow NYC help these cats out?

Also, anyone know of any speakeasies in the Los Angeles area? I'll be traveling out there in early November.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
We did have one in Des Moines named Shorty's. It was more or less a gimmick.

Shorty's is a small bar whose door sits on the back of a building. Originally, there weren't any signs or indications as to how one should enter; you needed to know someone that had been there in order to get in.

In any case, it quickly became a cliche of sorts in the already cliched bar scene of Des Moines. It also quickly became a hang out for loud drunks, scenesters and personality-void socialites, very much in the way of most other Des Moines bars.

We once had a "Lounge" called Lloyd's a short distance from my house. Three joined rooms with the bar in the middle room. Mahogony wood work, low lights and leather couches, chairs and stools. A small library was on hand, usually jazz, blues or classical guitar was live and quiet enough to talk over. There was an excellent selection of wine, beer and top shelf liquor. One could also smoke cigars there, and there was a modest selection of cigars for purchase.

Ah, the Recession. How you've stolen so many things from so many people!

BowTieSoFly

New in Town
Well, finding Little Branch was indeed an adventure and taking a picture with the spirited door-man was indeed worth it. However that's as far as I got... Under 21 you must resign to listen to snatches of jazz as the door opens for those of a more experienced nature...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Espasoner