Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spear point collar shirts

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
UK Members (cheap spear tip vintage style shirts)

Gents. Totally by accident I came across a range of shirts called "Florence & Fred" and their white mens' shirts have a wonderful vintage look to them with the hard to find elongated spear tipped collar points.

At something like £4 each, it's worth a visit to...wait for it....TESCO's!! I know!!! what a surprise and at that price too, in a lovely weighted cotton. Single cuffs with buttons, but has the double button hole for the option of taking off the buttons and using cufflinks.

A 'star buy' in my book!!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Well Feraud...I intend getting a snap of it...

I actually wore it today with a 3 piece suit and 40's tie and it felt and looked superlative!!

The thing is, I have been searching for this style of shirt for yonks!! But of course it really isn't 'in style' with current fashions (a button down is often the closest and what I've been 'making do' with).

Imagine my surprise when I 'stumbled' upon these babies without purposefully seeking them!! :eek:

I know that there are some repros being made, but they are coming in at 20 times 'that' price!!! I just cannot justify that right now.

If I can, I'll maybe get a shot this evening (it's evening now in this little corner of the northern hemisphere).

Feraud

Bartender
I am jealous. I have resorted to having to make a version of such a collar.
Could you also post the length of the collar when you add the picture?
Thanks!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Photos.

Length of the collar to the point is three inches (3") and a collar bar would look GREAT on this!!

As you can see by the shadow, it's gone past five-o'clock in this part of the world!!

shirt006.jpg

shirt004.jpg

shirt002.jpg

Salv

One Too Many
Well found Paddy! There's a large Tesco home store in my local town; I'll pop in there tomorrow and see if they have the shirts. Does it come in other colours?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
From reading posts here at the Lounge, I've become aware of this whole spread collar issue. You really live in the land of the spread collar! What kinds of reactions do you get when you wear this collar?

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Tesco!?!

Just goes to show you never know where you're going to find a treasure, do you? Great looking shirts.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Very nice amount of space between the collar- my tailor in Asia still hasn't nailed it quite yet- long point yes, but the tiny space, not quite. I still need a collar bar to tighten it up sometimes.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Tesco goes for it

Tesco surprises its rivals with Christmas internet trial
By Abigail Townsend
Published: 03 December 2006
Supermarket giant Tesco is to start selling clothes online this weekend, a first for a supermarket. The news that the UK's biggest retail group is entering the market in time for Christmas will be a blow for many online and high-street retailers.

Tesco announced last month that it planned to sell ranges such as Florence & Fred online. A trial was expected to get under way next year, but instead the retailer is starting immediately.

During the four-week trial, 100 lines will be available at the same price as in Tesco stores, plus postage and packaging. Around 400,000 selected online customers will be eligible to take part.

"Around 10,000 people a week already visit our clothing website to check availability in stores and to view products, so we know the interest is there," said a spokesman. "We'll see how it goes before making decisions on taking it further."

Clothing is the latest move by Tesco to expand its online offering. In August it launched Tesco Direct, which offers goods including televisions, sofas, kitchenware and cameras.

Edward

Bartender
Great tip, thanks, Paddy.... I'll have to check those out. I'd resolved to buy no more non-casual shirts without a double cuff, but at that price...... I'm slowly removing the buttons from the cuffs of all my shirts which have "convertible cuffs", and actually the single layer look ain't bad. Preferable to me over having to go without cuff links.... Nice to see that there's a shirt collar equivalent coming round too that's not the wide-splayed variety designed for city boys to wear with a tie-knot the size of your fist! I do wonder..... given that a mass-market supplier like Tesco is the sort of place that will only varry clothing lines that slot right in to whatever is selling (they're gonig to be about unit shifting in their clothes, not dealing to a niche market), does this herald the return of a more gloden-era style collar in mainstream men's shirts? That'd be really nice.... I've gotten great shirts over the years in the like of Next (great source for judiciously chosen basics), but as the High Street runs after the fashion crowd, it's a couple of years since I was last able to find anything much I cared for in there.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
PADDY said:
Gents. Totally by accident I came across a range of shirts called "Florence & Fred" and their white mens' shirts have a wonderful vintage look to them with the hard to find elongated spear tipped collar points.

At something like £4 each, it's worth a visit to...wait for it....TESCO's!! I know!!! what a surprise and at that price too, in a lovely weighted cotton. Single cuffs with buttons, but has the double button hole for the option of taking off the buttons and using cufflinks.

A 'star buy' in my book!!

I'm wearing one now in white. £1 from my local Oxfam.

Alan

cookie

I'll Lock Up
PADDY said:
I actually wore it today with a 3 piece suit and 40's tie and it felt and looked superlative!!

The thing is, I have been searching for this style of shirt for yonks!! But of course it really isn't 'in style' with current fashions (a button down is often the closest and what I've been 'making do' with).

Imagine my surprise when I 'stumbled' upon these babies without purposefully seeking them!! :eek:

I know that there are some repros being made, but they are coming in at 20 times 'that' price!!! I just cannot justify that right now.

If I can, I'll maybe get a shot this evening (it's evening now in this little corner of the northern hemisphere).

Thanks Paddy. My mate in London will be down at the Shepherds Bush branch which she tells me is next to Ikea for a nice Saturday stroll. I will get her to check it out. Do you know what colours they have? There is no info on their website.

Salv

One Too Many
My nearest Tesco didn't have them, but there are two more large branches within a few miles of my house, and I'll try them both tomorrow.

UK envy

Paddy,
have you any email contact info for TESCO and the "Florence & Fred" white, men's shirt? From what I can tell, the TESCO websites I have found resemble the trick business card which reads "turn card over" on both sides.
Suspect I could burn minute after minute on a transatlantic call and just get shuttled from dept to dept running around?
Even with shipping, if possible, it seems like a decent deal on a hard to find style garment.
If made in gorilla sizes, wouldja care to pick up an 18/36, tack on handling, and wing it my way? Wink, nod, nudge. I'll still buy youse a drink no matter what.

Kishtu

Practically Family
I have to pop along to the big Tesco near where I work for something tomorrow - I'll check these out.

More than happy to check out what they have and post where required.... so you're an 18 collar Rondo? Anyone else want me to look?

Speedster

Practically Family
Kishtu said:
I have to pop along to the big Tesco near where I work for something tomorrow - I'll check these out.

More than happy to check out what they have and post where required.... so you're an 18 collar Rondo? Anyone else want me to look?

Yes, please...

I'm 16 1/2 collar (and 34 sleeves)

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Guys,

It's great of Paddy to bring this to your attention and I thank him of course, but please don't get too excited over these shirts. I've had one for a while now and, as they say, you get what you pay for. At the end of the day it's a four pound shirt. If it weren't for the collar shape I wouldn't have bought mine and I only paid one pound for it...

Alan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff