Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Special Tribute To The Matlese Falcon is up

Renderking Fisk

Practically Family
Special Tribute To The Matlese Falcon is up

Yesterday I offially launched a tribute page for The Maltese Falcon for fellow fans. I’ve been asking talented folks to write about their thoughts and experiences about the movie and the book… and I posted two responses that I have so far.

One from a fellow poster on other forums, Joe Brody and Eddie Mullen gave us permission to repost his essay that was originally published in The San Fran Chronicle.

I’ve also been told that other articles are on the way, and someone is working on a speical tribute piece of art… all I know is that this artist had to go to

Index To The Special Tribute to The Maltese Falcon.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Fisk- Nice work in assembling that body of work. I read the Joe Brody article and he's right, his perception is agreeable with mine- it's the understatedness. The same thing I get out of watching Hal Hartley flicks- simple, yet gripping through character development and dialogue- even though a lot of the dialogue in Hartley's films is "meaningless", and the plots are not very exciting. It's riveting in its unpredictability and humour- the observation of the cast's neuroses and temperaments being played off against each other in the context of pointless talk. Harltley also made the most of his ensemble cast of at the time, mostly unknowns.I find this a lot more rewarding and gratifying than pointless and contrived action films franchising a star's name. Some critics say that Hartley made "the perfect film" in his 1992 film "Simple Men" .
But then a lot of people think H. Hartley is totally lame...
Thanks,
BT.

filmnoirphotos

One of the Regulars
Say, Fisk,

Would you consider using this image?

Watch your back!
Jim

falcon_002.jpg

Renderking Fisk

Practically Family
Jim, anyone who sends me something decient and heartfelt I’ll post. It would be an honor to have that photo as part of the tribue page.

I would also like to host a link to your site… you’re work is great.

I'm really amazed at the following this movie has... fans have come out from everywhere to give it praise.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

I love the photos.....but the bird is all wrong. Here is the dingus from the film:

falcon2.jpg

It is a shame that wonderful photo has the wrong bird. If someone is a real fan of the movie, they will immediately know that it is incorrect.

I am coming to San Francisco next month and am planning a get together of Lounge members. Perhaps I could bring the bird and you could shoot it. Just a thought.

Renderking Fisk

Practically Family
Thank you, Mycroft - It's my way of saying Thank You to the people responsilbe for getting me hooked on Film Noir and The Classics and give something back to the fellow fans that have been such a huge part of my life and my on-line family.

MK, I would love to post some of you stuff, too.

filmnoirphotos

One of the Regulars
Bogas Birds And Other Fowl Things

MK

Shooting your bird would be great fun; let's do it. I really admire your shot using the Chinese newspaper wrappings, though the color thing is a bit alien. The composition is most excellent.

As for the bogas bird.....well, we do what we can with what we got. I also need to buy a proper .38.

Look forward to a gathering of SF Loungers.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

Just for the record....two of the big reasons why The Maltese Falcon is one of Bogart's best films is Sydney Greenstreet and Peter Lorre. Sure they were in other Bogie films...but I would say that Falcon was their best performance for both of these actors. Also there is a great contrast between Bogart, Lorre and Greenstreet. For example, Humprey was not a big man...but he looks very formidable as he slaps Peter around. Little Lorre makes Bogie big.

Private dicks are great subject matter.....and Dashiell Hammett was one of the best at capturing the essense of the shamus in words. Bogart played the two best golden era gumshoe ever: Philip Marlowe and Sam Spade. The only thing is that he nailed the role of Sam Spade. The Big Sleep seemed a bit compromised as a story. Also everytime I saw Bogart in that movie, I saw Sam Spade not Marlowe. Besides nobody played Marlowe better than Dick Powell. Never the less, when you think of the ultimate golden era detective...you picture Humphry Bogart.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24