Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

is it wrong to mix up the styles?

Detective_Noir

One of the Regulars
i recently have to get slim fit suits now due to the "New Era" of today style. and i wear a wide brim fedora on a slim fitted suit but it still has the wide lapels on it to pull off a wider brimmed fedora. people and friends say its kinda cool to mix up a modern look with the suit and have that unique golden era look as well in addition to it.

MikeBravo

One Too Many
If what you wear reflects your personal style (and doesn't break too many rules) then go for it. If you feel comfortable dressed that way, then it's all good in my book :)

I don't feel it is about the era, but the fit and how it feels

Red Leader

One of the Regulars
I've been at this gig for less than a year so I am by no means an expert, but from my casual observation - my vintage suits (1940s) are much more fitted to me that a lot of more modern boxy and baggy type suits. I would very much prefer a slim fitting suit if it works with the body type than a suit with lots of bag and drape. I think a part of it too is the fabrics - they don't hang the same way the old ones do.

I recently saw an suit and and it depicted a lot of slim fitting suits with thin lapels, harking back to the 1960s, which to me, isn't bad. I heard someone else mention that some older styles may be returning and hope that trend continues down the decades.

I think the wide brim fedora thing is a question that stands alone - how does the wide brim work for you? I've heard that they don't work for a lot of people. I had a wider brim fedora and I had to cut it down and it looks much better on me. If it works or doesn't work for you, that is a good place to start. I'm not usually a fan of stingy brims either, so I wouldn't mind mixing a fitted/thin lapel suit with a fedora, because they both work for me.

Last edited:

Detective_Noir

One of the Regulars
the wide 2 3/4 inch brim works very well with my facial structure my face being slim and more defined, alot of people tell me that it looks really well on me

I feel that sometimes you're more legitimate to mix up some styles than to not mix up the styles. Let's face it, every John Everyman back in the day didn't just throw away his old suits and hats because they weren't the new fashion. He may wear a suit he had bought ten years ago with a new hat or vise versa.

Detective_Noir

One of the Regulars
X8zVB.jpg
49LQT.jpg
7RP2Q.jpg
EsJsy.jpg

the last photo wasnt as well as the first two but i always stick with the wider brimmed hats to go with a suit

Last edited:

Detective_Noir

One of the Regulars
the suit is a 40R but the sleeves end at the middle of my hand 2 inches passed the wrist bone.... and the shoulder has an inch of space on MY shoulders so the suit jacket is too big... my pants size is 32 so that makes me a 38 but i went ahead and went up to the next size ending up not looking so good in it...

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
i recently have to get slim fit suits now due to the "New Era" of today style. and i wear a wide brim fedora on a slim fitted suit but it still has the wide lapels on it to pull off a wider brimmed fedora. people and friends say its kinda cool to mix up a modern look with the suit and have that unique golden era look as well in addition to it.

I would say that as long as the proportions work (lapels, tie, and hat) and it fits you well, all power to you. Modern style can work great, if it is done right.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mix styles? Sure, why not?

Unless you're reenacting, or perhaps a purist. Like Tom says, men of the era would have mixed and matched clothes, styles, fashions, etc. And if you're just trying to dress well, you'll be fine. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany