Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Specific Predictions on Style

Spatterdash

A-List Customer
Hey, gang.

I was reading an older thread, "The Future of Style", and while it garnered a number of indepth comments, there was a noted lack of particulars when it came to personal views on the changes we might see. I have a few to offer. These are the things I expect our children to see in their adult lives, at least in the arena of menswear. Feel free to add yours.

1.) The tie will eventually go the way of the fedora, a vintage item made by a few custom shops, but not a regular offering in menswear locales. It will become a high end luxury item, like smoking jackets and opera pumps, and will be considered an oddity. It may remain as a formalwear piece, as the tuxedo dies and the classic suit replaces it as evening wear. Black tie will become as rare as white tie and tails are today.

2.) The suit ensemble of business will become more casual and less layered. A suit coat will remain, though likely gaining in length, eventually becoming a sort of frock coat, with a variety of lapel options, or no lapels at all. It may be single-breasted, double-breasted or even zippered. The vest, while currently enjoying a revival, will fade away as Westerners struggle on with chronic weight gain. Shirts will be pull on, with perhaps a few decorative buttons at the throat, like a high-end nightshirt. The shirt may not be tucked in due to their length. They may be cut so as to look complimentary to the longer coat worn over it. Slacks will change little, but will ride at the hips, while the legs widen and slim back and forth as they have for the past century and a half. The only real self expression in this ensemble will be color choices, which will vary widely and will lead to a large number of coat-slack-shirt combinations.

3.) Shoes will be as fickle as they are now, changing toe shape, heel height and form within a season, but they will lose their laces, becoming predominantly slip-on with extremely cushioned soles. They will also become more colorful.

4.) The constant march toward streamlined casual clothing will likely increase the number of vintage and reenactment groups and cultures. Ironically, the future may hold even more clothing options for the truly sartorial.

That's mine. What are yours?

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I think the high-end design houses that set the trends will always design for the very wealthy, most of whom are slim and trim.

I think the necktie will disappear in my lifetime. Unfortunately, hose and stockings probably will, too. Maybe shoes will come with a sock liner that can be cleaned. (Given the red, calloused, blistered feet that non-stocking wearers have, that's the only way I'd give up wearing stockings or socks.)

Street clothing has become as casual as possible over the last few years, to the point of ridiculousness (pajamas as street wear). Changes are afoot. In women's clothes, I've seen more ruffles, gathers, colors and shaping to show a waist. I predict women's clothes will continue to become more feminine.

As for what else we'll see in 20 years, I wouldn't venture a guess.

ortega76

Practically Family
I think the tie will continue to see a decline but I don't know that it will disappear altogether. It's too symbolic by the elite to not have a trickle-down effect on the poorer classes. Like the current vogue for preppy inspired clothes on hip-hop devotees who claim "street cred".

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
Risky...

...to predict the future.

One trend I've noted is that the common wear of today is the formal wear of tomorrow. The everyday "claw hammer" jacket of the early 1800s became white tie and tails later. We already see celebrities on the red carpet with a black suit versus a tuxedo and a regular black tie versus a bow tie. In essence, the suit has become a formal garment.

I think maybe, as the suit becomes a formal item, the sport coat becomes the suit. The tie goes. The docker/polo shirt combo becomes the sport coat.

In many cases we're there. At church yesterday a man attended with a t-shirt, cargo shorts and flip flops. I see lots with not much more. I think that probably represents a dead minimum. Less than a t-shirt is no shirt, less than shorts would be no pants, and less that flip flops would be bare feet. I saw a rather old man with a short sleeved sport shirt, cuffed khakis, and sandals. Clearly he didn't grow up that way. Everyone is changing.

I don't know that the fedora is as out as we think. As a winter hat to protect from weather and a summer hat to protect from sun, I think you'll see a modest market for them indefinitely. Now that skin cancer is on rise from the wear of baseball caps, you may see a movement back to brimmed hats.

Charlie Noodles

A-List Customer
Mid-fogey said:
One trend I've noted is that the common wear of today is the formal wear of tomorrow.

It's quite interesting to see so many young people that are such discerning "sneaker connoisseurs." They can talk a staggering amount about the different options and when to wear what. I'm quite ignorant on the subject of sneakers so I would not poke fun. But they don't appear to consider anything made of leather when talking about their shoes.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Mid-fogey said:
...to predict the future.

I think maybe, as the suit becomes a formal item, the sport coat becomes the suit. The tie goes. The docker/polo shirt combo becomes the sport coat.

In many cases we're there. At church yesterday a man attended with a t-shirt, cargo shorts and flip flops. I see lots with not much more. I think that probably represents a dead minimum. Less than a t-shirt is no shirt, less than shorts would be no pants, and less that flip flops would be bare feet. I saw a rather old man with a short sleeved sport shirt, cuffed khakis, and sandals. Clearly he didn't grow up that way. Everyone is changing.

I am amazed when I read posts by church-attending Loungers of how formally they dress to attend Church in the USA. Down Under in the Catholic Church - formal is a jacket. Beachside where I live is shorts tee shirts polos and thongs or boatshoes. The older gents sometimes wear pants and shoes whatever the denomination but not always.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
edit.jpg

Im off here on Sunday afternoon with the Art Deco Society for a tour of this fabulous art deco church, not sure what I will be wearing, we are going to draw the winning raffle ticket for a stay at the Ningaloo Reef Resort, however we have been told that under no circumstances are we allowed to draw the raffle inside the church, as if!!!!

Feraud

Bartender
Charlie Noodles said:
It's quite interesting to see so many young people that are such discerning "sneaker connoisseurs." They can talk a staggering amount about the different options and when to wear what. I'm quite ignorant on the subject of sneakers so I would not poke fun. But they don't appear to consider anything made of leather when talking about their shoes.
I've observed there are enthusiasts for everything.

anon`

One Too Many
Mid-fogey said:
One trend I've noted is that the common wear of today is the formal wear of tomorrow. The everyday "claw hammer" jacket of the early 1800s became white tie and tails later. We already see celebrities on the red carpet with a black suit versus a tuxedo and a regular black tie versus a bow tie. In essence, the suit has become a formal garment.

This is, much to my annoyance and INMSNHO, the most likely. Though it is interesting to note that, for much of the past two millenia of European civilisation at least, this has been reversed: the "formal" (read wealthy) wear wear of one generation became the everyday dress of the common wo/man in the next. It's really only been in the past two hundred years or so that common wear has been regularly promoted to formal wear duties as the next generation's common clothing became more "casual".

Oddly, we (here at the Lounge) tend consider it to be A Good Thing® that the sack suit with self-collared shirts in the 1920s began to replace the longer coats and stiff, to-attach shirts of the Victorian and Edwardian eras as proper daily attire, but deride much of the evolution of the business suit since the 1960s. I personally agree that a zenith was reached somewhere in the decade 1935-45, but still... and interesting observation, no? I would very much like to know what my great grandfather's generation might've thought about that change!

BruceTracy

One of the Regulars
Spatterdash said:
3.) Shoes will be as fickle as they are now, changing toe shape, heel height and form within a season, but they will lose their laces, becoming predominantly slip-on with extremely cushioned soles. They will also become more colorful.
Boy, this makes me nervous. My feet severely pronate, which requires me to wear (supportive not corrective) insoles. I can't wear slip-on shoes of any kind and neither can I wear traditional golden era dress shoes :(. It's hard enough for me to buy shoes now (I have one pair of New Balance's that I wear almost everyday.). This kind of reminds me of how in Star Trek (even The Next Generation and later) they had all of this 23rd and 24th century tech and so you think they would be wearing futuristic shoes that had great support and comfort, but no, they all wear black riding boots like the ones that accompany jodhpurs [huh] . However, I guess could be explained away by
1.) Starfleet has deep military roots

and

2.) In Star Trek's future era , their medical technology is so advanced that they can easily correct most, if not all, common foot conditions (including one like mine).

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab

Actually I think we've already seen this change happen in many parts of the country. Special events I go to that I imagine would have been black tie 30-50 years ago are almost all "jacket required" (which ends up being sport coat or blaser, and few guys in suits).

The last formal/office job I had in the DC area I showed up my first day in a suit, and everyone else had a sport coat and tie. I never worn the suit again at that job...

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Paisley said:
I think the necktie will disappear in my lifetime.

It looks that way, I agree. Maybe, as another poster stated, a tiny novelty market for ties will remain, but that's all.

de Stokesay

One of the Regulars
I think that it will make a huge difference where you live. In North America, people seem to dress much more casually than say those living in Europe. I was quite struck in fact, when in Italy last year by how good the Italians looked. The men actually put some effort into their dress and appearance, often wearing suits with ties, an proper shoes. For casual dress, there was also much more effort expended than is commonly seen in NA, with the result that they looked fabulous. I will confess to some perplexity when confronted with the gold running shoes however.

Women, on the other hand, all looked spectacular. This wasn't that they were any more inherently good looking that North American ladies, just that they actually tried to dress well. They, like the Italian men I say, opted for the more difficult road of class, than the alternative road so often chosen here, of easy and quick. The difference must be seen to be believed, and it wasn't just a few individuals either. Overall, the Italians seemed to care much more about their appearance, and upon my return, it was driven home just how slob-like so many Canadians and Americans dress.

It wasn't always this way, as it has changed since my parent's generation. My mother still would never be seen in public without gussying-up to some extent, and I know that she is not alone in this mindset. It really is interesting to see how things have changed just so that things in our lives can be easier and quicker. I mean, is it really necessary to go shopping in your pyjamas and housecoat, complete with slippers, or dirty ripped clothing?

On a more positive note, I have noticed a significant improvement in the last year in the number of men wearing suits, so all might not be lost.

While we do have a loooong way to go to catch up with the Europeans, I don't see suits and ties dying out completely in the next 20 years for the simple reason that they make men look much better than the alternative.

There you go, the batteries in my crystal ball are now officially dead.

de Stokesay

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
ya know, I should just move to Italy. I love that country in general, anyway, the food, the antiquities, the people, the architecture, the easy and pleasant language, the Roman connection, the food, the food, and the food.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
de Stokesay said:
I think that it will make a huge difference where you live. In North America, people seem to dress much more casually than say those living in Europe.

AND in the colder areas of South America. I've said this before: in Chile and Argentina, people of nearly all socioeconomic classes still dress up everyday as if it were still the 1950s. Even office boys wear coats and ties, and secretaries wear business suits as uniforms.

de Stokesay

One of the Regulars
Doran said:
ya know, I should just move to Italy. I love that country in general, anyway, the food, the antiquities, the people, the architecture, the easy and pleasant language, the Roman connection, the food, the food, and the food.

And the wine, wine, wine, wine, wine...:)

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
The death of the suit and tie has been predicted for decades. Casual dress, dress down Fridays, the computer geek wear what you want phase, etc., etc.

More formal business attire is improving in Canadian corporate and banking circles, and as the suit and tie become less prevalent in other circles, it will take on a cachet that will attract other followers.

They will never likely return as the daily wear it they used to be, but go the way of the fedora? I'm not buying it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy