Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spectator Shoes

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I must say, I had the Brentano's and I gave them away. They KILLED my feet. The pinched and were not put together well. I have bought so many different pairs of Specs before settling on mine. The cheaper models just aren't worth it. It is too special a shoe for shoddy craftsmanship and bad leather. I really think you need to spend at least $125 or so to get something you could walk around in or dance in.

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
Staredge said:
I want these shoes SO BAD!!!!!!!!!!

(I've spent way too much time thinking about & looking at shoes. I'm turning into such a girl lol Even my wife says she doesn't spend that much time looking at them :eek: )

Welcome to the club. Hey, it beats being addicted to heroin or something. :)

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Hemingway Jones said:
I must say, I had the Brentano's and I gave them away. They KILLED my feet. The pinched and were not put together well. I have bought so many different pairs of Specs before settling on mine. The cheaper models just aren't worth it. It is too special a shoe for shoddy craftsmanship and bad leather. I really think you need to spend at least $125 or so to get something you could walk around in or dance in.

Ahh, I wish I had heard this first. How much did you wear these shoes? I just got mine and they fit fine but I can't exactly wear them out anywhere during a Erie, PA winter.

I didn't expect them to be the most comfortable shoe since they only cost $85 but I hope they aren't so bad that I dread wearing them.

The conundrum is that if I wear them out and they don't feel good, it is too late to return them. I guess it will be an $85 experiment.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Brian Sheridan said:
Ahh, I wish I had heard this first. How much did you wear these shoes? I just got mine and they fit fine but I can't exactly wear them out anywhere during a Erie, PA winter.

I didn't expect them to be the most comfortable shoe since they only cost $85 but I hope they aren't so bad that I dread wearing them.

The conundrum is that if I wear them out and they don't feel good, it is too late to return them. I guess it will be an $85 experiment.
Sorry about that, I had to go through the boxes in my closet to be sure those were the ones I didn't like. I am sorry I didn't look sooner.

Spatterdash

A-List Customer
See, this Brentano problem is one of the reasons I asked for Botany 500 reviews. The weird thing about the Botany 500 spectators is that a number of guys say they're really not a bad little shoe and they wear okay. That's high praise for a shoe of that price. They have full leather uppers and no one complains about the finish. One gentleman said he got some that cracked, but that's the only complaint I can find.

If the majority are happy and will give us some detailed feedback on them, they may be the best bet for a pre-Allen Edmonds purchase, which I can assure you a lot of vintage folk would like as an option.
The simple fact is, a lot of us love this stuff but we still need frugal options. I budget long term, and the AE McClains are just gonna have to go on stand by a few years.

Ms. McGraw

One of the Regulars
Please let me preface this post by saying that I apologize if I am in the wrong area to ask this question. It just seemed logical that a question about spectators should go here, even if it is a question about ladies' spectators. If I have posted this in the wrong place, please feel free to delete or move this post! :)
That being said, would anyone have a recommendation for a place to get a pair of spectators heels? I have a honey of a suit that would look just dynamite with a pair but the only pair I can find are these:
shoes3.jpg

They are very nice, and will certainly do in a pinch, but they don't look very period correct by any means.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
For the record, let me reiterate that my Brentano specs have caused me no discomfort whatsoever. I have the thicker sole ones. Very very comfortable. On some folks a given shoe will be less comfortable and the same shoe on other folks will be quite fine.

Staredge

One of the Regulars
6218-401080-d.jpg

Ok, so..taxes are done.......AE Shoe Bank has these in 12 EEE for $157.50 and the wife says ok.

Should I?

Do they work as kinda funky business casual??? British Tan Chinos, khaki chinos, taupe dress pants, linen pants for the summer? Would they work with a dark charcoal dress pant? Am I going to want to wear them often....or just once in a while???
Will

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
Staredge said:
6218-401080-d.jpg

Ok, so..taxes are done.......AE Shoe Bank has these in 12 EEE for $157.50 and the wife says ok.

Should I?

Do they work as kinda funky business casual??? British Tan Chinos, khaki chinos, taupe dress pants, linen pants for the summer? Would they work with a dark charcoal dress pant? Am I going to want to wear them often....or just once in a while???
Will

I think that the use you get out of your Broadstreets will relate directly to your confidence and pleasure in drawing attention to yourself. Few items that we can wear have such an eye-drawing effect, by equal virtue of their bold scheme and their vintage flavor. I wear mine even with a charcoal suit on a regular workday, and I love the appeciative comments that I get. But I enjoy getting comments in general, and I am known both within my company and the regional business community as a dandy of major proportions. So it all works out well. (I'm the sort who loves public speaking too -- "Give me the mike!" -- if that tells you anything. :))

The topline: among the best and most stylish shoes out there, but not for the faint-hearted.

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
Brian Sheridan said:
What's the AE Shoe Bank?

Physically, it's the AE store at their headquarters in Port Washington, Wisconsin, where on an average day you can find great deals (typically about $100 off) on "factory seconds" (frequently indistinguishable from factory firsts). During a "sale," as is going on right now, you can do even better, especially on discontinued styles. The Shoe Bank is a Mecca for shoe nuts and reason enough to visit Wisconsin. :)

Not sure if there is an online equivalent, but I recommend the bricks-and-mortar if you can swing it.

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
Patrick Murtha said:
Not sure if there is an online equivalent, but I recommend the bricks-and-mortar if you can swing it.

Apparently the thing to do is to call them, see if they have what you're looking for, and they can do a phone transaction and send it. Not the same as being able to try the shoes on, but AEs are true to size.

Staredge

One of the Regulars
Patrick Murtha said:
I think that the use you get out of your Broadstreets will relate directly to your confidence and pleasure in drawing attention to yourself. Few items that we can wear have such an eye-drawing effect, by equal virtue of their bold scheme and their vintage flavor. I wear mine even with a charcoal suit on a regular workday, and I love the appeciative comments that I get. But I enjoy getting comments in general, and I am known both within my company and the regional business community as a dandy of major proportions. So it all works out well. (I'm the sort who loves public speaking too -- "Give me the mike!" -- if that tells you anything. :))

The topline: among the best and most stylish shoes out there, but not for the faint-hearted.

Well, I teach to a bunch of construction workers. I'm the education coordinator for a mechanical contractor. Up until about a month ago, I spent my days in jeans and a polo. It's only been recently that I've started wearing dress pants and button down shirts. Not terribly high dollar clothing, but dressier than I was. (is it appropriate to wear $300 shoes with $40 pants??? lol ) I don't mind being seen as a little odd......actually, "little" odd would be an improvement!!!!! :D

So...faint-hearted not an issue. Don't wear a suit, just pants & a dress shirt. Occasionally a polo. I'm thinking they'll go pretty well with most of the pants I have now. I also have a pair a black cap-toes which apparently I'm not suppose to wear without a jacket, [huh] although I do.

Now, how does specs, linen pants (in cream or natural), nice hawaiian shirt (sedate print), and a panama sound???

Will

(what I really need is some of the womenfolk to chime in here and say how much they like a man in spectators!!! ):D lol :cool2: :cheers1:

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
Patrick Murtha said:
The Shoe Bank is a Mecca for shoe nuts and reason enough to visit Wisconsin. :)

If further incentive for a trip is needed, Port Washington is a most charming, flavorful town on Lake Michigan. They say that Wisconsin's Door County (farther north) is the "New England" of the midwest, but although I like Door County, Port Washington strikes me as far more New England-y.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Aren't there new AE seconds on Ebay? I saw my size in that spectator also for the precise $157 price mentioned above. Some sort of AE seconds store, n'est-ce pas?

Staredge

One of the Regulars
Doran said:
Aren't there new AE seconds on Ebay? I saw my size in that spectator also for the precise $157 price mentioned above. Some sort of AE seconds store, n'est-ce pas?

That's the AE clearance store. I'm not sure, but I think it might be the SHoe Bank on the other end.

Will

tom78

New in Town
Trickers Tan/White cap-toe Oxfords.

1329764733_bea1a3a59d_m.jpg

1330665786_e78ba70964_m.jpg

1330662294_1c5029143d_m.jpg

Rich

Where did you purchase the Tricker's? I'm looking for a pair in exactly that style!

Bird's One View

One of the Regulars
I spoke with someone at the Shoe Bank recently and was told that the eBay store is a separate entity from the Shoe Bank.

On topic: bought a pair each of Broadstreets and McClains. From pictures, I thought I'd like the Broadstreet better, but in the flesh I prefer the McClain. Nothing wrong with the Broadstreet, mind you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic