Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spectator Shoes

Bernie Zack

One of the Regulars
SMS%20(4).JPG

I love this colour combination, so wearable

I may be tempted to get McLouds to make a pair up for one

http://www.mccloud.com.au/

Those are really fantastic. I have a pair of british Walker saddle oxfords with that same color combination. Love them to death. These are a very nice dress shoe, wouldn't mind having a pair myself.

Whitewall

New in Town
I like two tone shoes but I find it difficult to get some down here and when they appear they usually have some sort of "peak" pointing backwards on the top right in the middle of the "nose" of the shoe and thats something I don't like so I got these made under my direction with the tip rounded without any peaks in the line determining the change of colour.
This pair is made of chevrette leather (or however you call the leather of a little goat - please forgive my English) that happens to be not as hard as the cow leather (I remember that was expensive)
Foto0130-1.jpg

And this pair is made of ordinary leather in a more casual style:
Foto0132.jpg

hope you like them.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
I like two tone shoes but I find it difficult to get some down here and when they appear they usually have some sort of "peak" pointing backwards on the top right in the middle of the "nose" of the shoe and thats something I don't like so I got these made under my direction with the tip rounded without any peaks in the line determining the change of colour.
This pair is made of chevrette leather (or however you call the leather of a little goat - please forgive my English) that happens to be not as hard as the cow leather (I remember that was expensive)
Foto0130-1.jpg

Chevrette is called "kid" in English. Those look very 1950s with that design. Very nice spectators. What do a pair of bespoke/handmade shoes cost in Argentina?

Here is the black Edwin Clapp New Englander that I just got, together with the brown one ...I love the profile of these shoes.
2ij2hqg.jpg

When someone asks me why I like US vintage shoes I ask you to look at this picture. What modern manufacturer is producing this outstanding quality shoe? Maybe some very expensive bespoke when you actually show them this photo and ask for it to be copied. BTW these were available to you average American punter who wanted a nice shoe in the good ole days...

FFS could you - for our FL historical shoes record - please do a side and rear and underneath view of these two shoes when you have a chance?

Last edited:

DocMustang

One of the Regulars
So to go with my new natural tone linen suit I picked up a pair of the Florsheim Marlton Limited in their Cognac and white spectator version. Here are some photos from online I will post some of my actual pair once I have time
1364658-p-2x.jpg

First they were difficult to find. It seems as though they do not offer this combination through their website any longer, but the Black/white combination is still available. I decided on these as their price of $140 seemed reasonable and I know from past experience Florsheim makes an excellent quality, (for mass market) well fitting shoe. They are made from a very supple calfskin which appears to require no break in time, and they were very comfortable on my feet from the get go.

I have feet that are shaped like swim fins so finding vintage shoes tends to be difficult and I am not at the point in my life where $300+ shoes are an economic option (even taking into account longevity) If you cannot afford the buy in the lifetime of the shoe matters little.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Since H. Hackfield had been founded by a German immigrant to Hawaii when the US declared war on Germany in WWI, the H. Hackfield company was siezed under by Alien Property Custodian. When reformed they renamed the company something really patriotic, American Factors (more commonly known as Amfac), and of course the old plantation store needed a Patriot name too, so... Liberty House! One can think of similar renaming of "German" things during WWI as well in other countries.

:eek:fftopic: For example, the Ontario city "Berlin" was re-named "Kitchener", after Lord Kitchener!

Warbaby

One Too Many
I got these N.O.S. linen/leather Carlo Morandi buckle strap specs on eBay a couple of months ago. Alas, while they were described as 11 D, they turned out to be too narrow - I'm guessing they're a B width. I've been meaning to relist them, but I've been waiting til I have a few more vintage items to do a group of stuff.

MorandiSpecs4cr.jpg

MorandiSpecs3cr.jpg

MorandiSpecs5cr.jpg

cookie

I'll Lock Up
I got these N.O.S. linen/leather Carlo Morandi buckle strap specs on eBay a couple of months ago. Alas, while they were described as 11 D, they turned out to be too narrow - I'm guessing they're a B width. I've been meaning to relist them, but I've been waiting til I have a few more vintage items to do a group of stuff.

MorandiSpecs4cr.jpg

MorandiSpecs3cr.jpg

MorandiSpecs5cr.jpg

They are a great monk. The design - style - etc. These look ldefinitely like a D fitting and most Italian shoes have a wide fitting. Narrow is pretty unheard of in standard Italian fitting. Are they slightly more than 4 inches wide at the broadest point? You should get them stretched IMO.

Last edited:

Warbaby

One Too Many
They are a great monk. The design - style - etc. These look ldefinitely like a D fitting and most Italian shoes have a wide fitting. Narrow is pretty unheard of in standard Italian fitting. Are they slightly more than 4 inches wide at the broadest point? You should get them stretched IMO.

They're barely 4" measured across the widest part of the sole - and definitely too tight when I put them on.

I thought about having them stretched but wondered if the fabric could take it. Any thoughts?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ormbingley