Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spectator Shoes

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
Interesting. I didn't realise that style didn't come in until the 1960s. Over here most people referred to them as 'American brogues'. As such, i assume they were an American innovation.
They are my favourite style.

That style IS an American innovation. I have seen some different incarnations of the long wing that date back to the 1950's... maybe even the very late 40's. It is that Storm Welt, when added to the style that makes it 1960's.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
Bit bold to say a shoe is 'hand made' unless there is hand stitching involved. And at just over 100€ full retail price and manufacturing in Italy, that is impossible. So at the very least they are not giving you the correct information. It could however be made in Italy by CHinese slave labour (there is LOADS of that there) but highly unlikely the quality is going to be any good.

Agree 100%. Not handmade in any stretch of the imagination... except maybe a hand was used to turn the machinery on that most likely glued that shoe together.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
That style IS an American innovation. I have seen some different incarnations of the long wing that date back to the 1950's... maybe even the very late 40's. It is that Storm Welt, when added to the style that makes it 1960's.

And it's the storm welt that makes me love that style so much. (I'm just a sucker for storm welts ...)

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks, Benny! I've never actually met you, but I DO know that I met Cookie maybe 6 months after you landed some extremely nice spades from him. I STILL wish I had gotten interested in Vintage Shoes a bit earlier lol.

Cookie has given me several pair of outstanding shoes but those spades are the most stunning of all. I wear them on the most special occassions, like the Glenn Miller Orchestra concerts. I've learned so much from you guys and enjoy every one of your posts.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Cookie has given me several pair of outstanding shoes but those spades are the most stunning of all. I wear them on the most special occassions, like the Glenn Miller Orchestra concerts. I've learned so much from you guys and enjoy every one of your posts.

Benny I always thought that a vintage tragic like u needed a pair of spades....especially NOS...nyuk nyuk nyuk! letting you near isshi could involve a triple bypass...so best not to have anything to do with him...;)

HeyMoe

Practically Family
I had a pair of old Florsheims that I found at goodwill a while back for a few bucks. As I had not been wearing them and was bored out of my mind over the weekend I decided to see what I could do with them. After spending the better part of an hour stripping the shoes with acetone, I found some leather dyes that I had kicking around and made a pair of DIY Spectators. It is hard to tell in these photos but the colors are vanilla and chocolate brown. While they are not 100% perfect (I do have some trim work to do), they are more than good enough IMHO to wear to work and to wear when driving my 1939 Dodge Sedan as I would have the arse if an expensive pair got scuffed or worse. They also let me see if I like the style before dropping a ton of cash on some new ones!

IMG_0623.jpg

IMG_0621.jpg

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
I had forgotten all about this incident, but a few months ago, I went to a local supermarket, and there was a donation man outside the doors. He complemented my shoes, but he had something else to say. He said that he had a pair of shoes in the same style, made in England. I don't know if he was telling the truth or not, but if he was, I wonder what company made them.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
I had forgotten all about this incident, but a few months ago, I went to a local supermarket, and there was a donation man outside the doors. He complemented my shoes, but he had something else to say. He said that he had a pair of shoes in the same style, made in England. I don't know if he was telling the truth or not, but if he was, I wonder what company made them.

why is this fascinating?

Probably because the poor guy lives in a little armpit town where the odds of meeting a fellow aficionado of vintage couture are phenomenally stacked against him

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Sorry, I don't get it either.

Retro Spectator said:
He complemented my shoes, but he had something else to say. He said that he had a pair of shoes in the same style, made in England. I don't know if he was telling the truth or not, but if he was, I wonder what company made them.

Why should the guy lie about having such shoes and why would it matter? Well, probably his shoes were made by some English shoemaker. How can anyone answer this?

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
The reason he might be lying would be to make conversation, but he probably wasn't lying. I was just wondering where he might have had his shoes made, as he seemed to be insisting they were a custom order.

Last edited:

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
I do indeed know of Allen Edmonds. However, I am looking specifically for spectator shoes with completely white tops, like the one I posted. This variety seems very difficult to find interestingly. The Walk-Overs seem good then I guess, but an issue that arises is the fact that the sellers may be dishonest, or scammers. I have had that happen in the past, and the fact that they are pretty expensive.

Last edited:

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
http:/[URL=http://s1140.photobucket.com/user/LoveMyHats2/media/bbobbooss_zps3b9c9d49.jpg.html] [/URL]

These shoes right here are a bit on the rare or odd side of things, more pictures to come later....however these are NOS two toned spectators, you can see the nice suede on them....they are in perfect condition. What makes them rare is the fact they are made by Foot Joy...but.....have a Bostonian label on the inside and bottom of the soles! I have to think these were "farmed out" to Foot Joy to make them under the Bostonian label....the pattern and "last" on these shoes are the desired "REX" last and these are that style of wingtip/saddle shoe that Foot Joy would do. There are nice as they are exactly 11D in size, and for those that have not yet owned Foot Joys, they are some EXTREMELY well made and confortable shoes. These are all leather lined and padded so that when a person walks in them, they tend to not hurt your feet at all. My Husband LOVES vintage Foot Joys.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy