Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spectator Shoes

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
I'm not sure if I should post a new thread for this...

I have a pair of Stacy Adams black and white spectators from the nineties. Back then their stuff was nicer; these were made in Spain.
Anyway, as an adolescent back then, I didn't know much about shoe care, and for the most part I left them on shoe trees stretched out too far, causing the leather soles to flatten too much. Any ideas on getting the curvature back into the soles?
I do not know if you can?????

Hambone87

New in Town

Attachments

• IMG_1259.JPG
    IMG_1259.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,042

VintageEveryday

A-List Customer
The only wingtips I own are a soft leather pair with a flat rubber sole by Ralph Lauren. I've swapped out the skinny, waxed leather laces for more '40s period appropriate flat pair, and changed the milk chocolate brown to a more rich, "mellow brown" like you see in real '40s shoes, by using Kiwi liquid show polish. Only issue is that there are some small dirt stains in the creases. How do i remove those from ivory/cream colored leather without leaving a noticeable stain from whatever cleaning product i use??

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
I'd love to get into some nice Specs. I just love the look, and have no idea what I'd even wear them with. Cream, beige or tan pants? Chinos, corduroy, khakis, worsted wool/linen???

Brown/cream, black/cream, oxblood/cream??? The endless possibilities overwhelm.

VintageEveryday

A-List Customer
I'd love to get into some nice Specs. I just love the look, and have no idea what I'd even wear them with. Cream, beige or tan pants? Chinos, corduroy, khakis, worsted wool/linen???

If you wear two tone shoes, treat the shoe as if it were a solid color based on whatever the dominant color is. If it's brown and white, treat it as brown. I wear whatever colors I typically wear with brown. Spring should allow for wool and thin corduroy. I wear it, and I'm fine in the spring. Summer, definitely linen, cotton and very thin wool. Traditionally you don't wear them after labor day, but I wear them in early fall, with thin wool, thin corduroy etc and I think it's fine.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up

IMO: Specs can be worn at any season. I agree with Vint.Everyday's comments that you should pair them with attire as if it was a solid color. Which color? I say decide on the season. White for warm weather and the other color potentially for other season. Buttttt, at times the shoes can be the focus. Pairing them emphasizes the outfit. What about the time you are just emphasizing the shoes? Go with it. I have adapted the same attitude with wearing a fedora as to specs. Wear the hat and not let the hat wear you. Wear the shoes and not let the shoes were you. The spectators draw more attention then derbies or oxfords.

I like the emphasis of a spec shoe. Not everyday, but they are fun in a wardrobe. Check out the many posts on this thread for the incredible variety of shoes available to wear. Many are unbelievable.

How about blue and cream?

i-8NBKbqM-M.jpg

How about brown and cream?

i-4bQ5mc5-XL.jpg

Last edited:

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
I'm not sure if I should post a new thread for this...

I have a pair of Stacy Adams black and white spectators from the nineties. Back then their stuff was nicer; these were made in Spain.
Anyway, as an adolescent back then, I didn't know much about shoe care, and for the most part I left them on shoe trees stretched out too far, causing the leather soles to flatten too much. Any ideas on getting the curvature back into the soles?

No idea what this means. The sole should be totally flat. The toe is sticking up a bid, that is called "toe spring" and is a sign of a poorly constructed shoe.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
SBG is a PRO!

IMO: Specs can be worn at any season. I agree with Vint.Everyday's comments that you should pair them with attire as if it was a solid color. Which color? I say decide on the season. White for warm weather and the other color potentially for other season. Buttttt, at times the shoes can be the focus. Pairing them emphasizes the outfit. What about the time you are just emphasizing the shoes? Go with it. I have adapted the same attitude with wearing a fedora as to specs. Wear the hat and not let the hat wear you. Wear the shoes and not let the shoes were you. The spectators draw more attention then derbies or oxfords.

I like the emphasis of a spec shoe. Not everyday, but they are fun in a wardrobe. Check out the many posts on this thread for the incredible variety of shoes available to wear. Many are unbelievable.

How about blue and cream?

i-8NBKbqM-M.jpg

How about brown and cream?

i-4bQ5mc5-XL.jpg

Mormonopoly

Familiar Face
Wow, amazing find on those Church's. I would guess 1940s, maybe early 50s. Definitely the oldest Church's I've ever seen. Are you sure the suede is worn down, or did someone just put white polish on it? If so, you might be able to get it off, and get the suede back to looking like suede.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Scored these at a tag sale today for $1 a pair. They had the original laces, I just took them out to clean/condition the shoes.
IMG_20170520_184353.jpg

IMG_20170520_184416.jpg

IMG_20170520_184431.jpg

IMG_20170520_185040.jpg

IMG_20170520_160800599.jpg

IMG_20170520_185022.jpg

IMG_20170520_184617918.jpg

IMG_20170520_184642006_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170520_184652709.jpg

IMG_20170520_184708513_HDR.jpg

I'm guessing 50's at the latest, any other opinions? Both are Church's with the same markings and both have suede white uppers. The suede wore off mostly on the red pair so it appears as just white leather.

Spiffy shoes!

Wear them with pride. Best, Eric -

PeterGunnLives

One of the Regulars
No idea what this means. The sole should be totally flat. The toe is sticking up a bid, that is called "toe spring" and is a sign of a poorly constructed shoe.

The soles on my shoes used to be shaped like this:
http://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/m...e-oxfords/SF1635.html?dwvar_SF1635_color=1635

To me, that's how a dress shoe is supposed to look. Whether that is actually "correct" in classical shoe-making or not, a mild upward curvature (not severely curled like some elf shoe) seems to be industry standard for a lot of dress shoes. And it is more ergonomic, since without it you won't walk naturally, as your toes are hitting the ground too soon.

Now on my spectators, the toe portion is completely flat on the ground due to the stretching out from the shoe trees, but that's not how they were when I first got them. Walking in them does not feel natural. Anyway, instead of worrying about it further, I just decided to replace them with a pair of Johnston & Murphy black & white Conards. I like the broguing.

Last edited:

sola fide

One of the Regulars
I have been looking at spectator shoes for summer, but actually like cap toes instead of wingtips. White body with colored toes works best for my taste. I really like the these Ralph Lauren Purple Label Shoes Spectators Edward Green, they have a nice shape

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ