Spectator Shoes

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Matt Deckard, Mar 29, 2004.

1. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

In the Aloha/Hawaiian shirt thread is a picture of the burlesque shirt that I'm wearing tonight. These patent leather spectators are just perfect to finish off, the look.
    Just out of curiosity, I've heard it said that a smear of petroleum jelly, keeps patent leather shoes, both in good condition and, stops them from cracking. Does anybody know if this is true, or just another myth.
    shoes 19.jpg

2. LuvMyMan

LuvMyMan Vendor

I would refrain from any petroleum on any shoe for any reason. Unless of course, you can't get a foot in our out and need to grease something up! Hah! True patent leather does need some moisture from a good conditioner. If you cannot find any Cadillac or Bick1, I will see what else should work for you and post here later.

3. Giftmacher

Giftmacher One Too Many

What do you say? It's modern, yes, but quite nice. Price circa $37. I didn't take it yet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

So unusual, I really like them. I've never seen work boot soles on a spectator shoe before, you would be hard pushed to wear them out. And those laces, amazing. Lovely shoes.

Giftmacher likes this.
  5. toobacat

toobacat One of the Regulars

Does anyone have a pair of SJC spectators that could compare the fit to either Allen Edmonds or Remix shoes?

6. PeterGunnLives

PeterGunnLives One of the Regulars

Lately for new spectators for my jitterbugging outfits, I have gotten into a brand called Messico (they're actually too stiff compared to true dancing shoes, but I make do). The shoes are handcrafted in Mexico, and are more affordable than some other brands. Alas, they don't have black/white.

http://www.zappos.com/messico-capuchino-tan-white-leather

7. Isshinryu101

Isshinryu101 One Too Many

They are made of plastic, not leather. No product will moisturize or save them. The permanent creasing in patent is as bad as it gets.

8. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

What is it you want to know? I have a pair of Simon's spectators but I don't have any AE's or Remix. If it's the fit that concerns you, here's a tip. Often US & UK imperial sizes differ, for example size 10 in one country would be too big or too small in the other. Find out what your shoe size is in metric, it's the same the world over. I do the same with hats. By the way the SJC shoes fit perfectly.

9. cookie

cookie I'll Lock Up

Yeah i ended up selling them NOS after some TLC to a guy in Vegas. Isshi got me a nicer pair in an Adelaide shape so I did not need two.

LuvMyMan likes this.
  10. shadowrider

shadowrider One of the Regulars

11. LuvMyMan

LuvMyMan Vendor

Wow, those were some nice shoes, Cookie! But you did get some nice ones from Isshi as well! Your spade soles all rock!

12. LuvMyMan

LuvMyMan Vendor

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some sky blue and cream Art Deco hand made from Italy. Not super sure how old these are, but they are in near new condition, I put some red sole protectors on the soles to help from getting too much wear on them. The color of blue just does not come out well on my cheapy cell phone!

13. shadowrider

shadowrider One of the Regulars

Not necessarily. While synthetic coating is used today, linseed oil lacquer was in the past.

14. PeterGunnLives

I was looking at that same listing on ebay. The soles are a little thick for my taste, though.

I like the Ben Shermans. The linen probably breathes nicely. But the bottoms have a bit too much grip, as I like to use specs as dancing shoes.

15. LuvMyMan

LuvMyMan Vendor

You are correct. We have two pairs of vintage patent leather. When you look real close to the surface you can actually observe where the coatings lap over one another. I do keep them conditioned and with shoe trees with a bit of over kill on pulling them tight, and I get almost all of any creasing out.

16. fiftyforfifty

fiftyforfifty Sponsoring Affiliate

17. Isshinryu101

Isshinryu101 One Too Many

not in that pair.

18. PeterGunnLives

I'm not sure if I should post a new thread for this...

I have a pair of Stacy Adams black and white spectators from the nineties. Back then their stuff was nicer; these were made in Spain.
    Anyway, as an adolescent back then, I didn't know much about shoe care, and for the most part I left them on shoe trees stretched out too far, causing the leather soles to flatten too much. Any ideas on getting the curvature back into the soles?

19. cookie

cookie I'll Lock Up