Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spectator Shoes

GHT

I'll Lock Up
In the Aloha/Hawaiian shirt thread is a picture of the burlesque shirt that I'm wearing tonight. These patent leather spectators are just perfect to finish off, the look.
Just out of curiosity, I've heard it said that a smear of petroleum jelly, keeps patent leather shoes, both in good condition and, stops them from cracking. Does anybody know if this is true, or just another myth.
shoes 19.jpg

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
I would refrain from any petroleum on any shoe for any reason. Unless of course, you can't get a foot in our out and need to grease something up! Hah! True patent leather does need some moisture from a good conditioner. If you cannot find any Cadillac or Bick1, I will see what else should work for you and post here later.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
In the Aloha/Hawaiian shirt thread is a picture of the burlesque shirt that I'm wearing tonight. These patent leather spectators are just perfect to finish off, the look.
Just out of curiosity, I've heard it said that a smear of petroleum jelly, keeps patent leather shoes, both in good condition and, stops them from cracking. Does anybody know if this is true, or just another myth.
View attachment 49656

They are made of plastic, not leather. No product will moisturize or save them. The permanent creasing in patent is as bad as it gets.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Does anyone have a pair of SJC spectators that could compare the fit to either Allen Edmonds or Remix shoes?
What is it you want to know? I have a pair of Simon's spectators but I don't have any AE's or Remix. If it's the fit that concerns you, here's a tip. Often US & UK imperial sizes differ, for example size 10 in one country would be too big or too small in the other. Find out what your shoe size is in metric, it's the same the world over. I do the same with hats. By the way the SJC shoes fit perfectly.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Two pair of NOS Weyenberg and one pair of NOS Roblee shoes have that 130 factory stamped into the inside foot bed of the shoes. Now what happens in the shoe industry, one name brand shoe would get more orders then what they could meet, so they would "farm it out" to another approved union shop. I think the Weyenberg shoes were mostly made in Brockton, Mass. and there is a good chance those spectators are Weyenberg. But Roblee also made some spectator shoes that were the mesh and leather like yours. Cookie picked up a pair of Roblee shoes a while back on eBay, we had actually been bidding on the same shoe (I was not aware he was bidding while I was) and I think the shoes sold for a fairly hefty price, I stopped bidding when it was close to $300.00 I think?

Yeah i ended up selling them NOS after some TLC to a guy in Vegas. Isshi got me a nicer pair in an Adelaide shape so I did not need two.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Yeah i ended up selling them NOS after some TLC to a guy in Vegas. Isshi got me a nicer pair in an Adelaide shape so I did not need two.

Wow, those were some nice shoes, Cookie! But you did get some nice ones from Isshi as well! Your spade soles all rock!

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
[URL=http://s1140.photobucket.com/user/LoveMyHats2/media/IMAG4250_zpscwhbtc05.jpg.html] [/URL]
[URL=http://s1140.photobucket.com/user/LoveMyHats2/media/IMAG4251_zpsustjqm08.jpg.html] [/URL]
[URL=http://s1140.photobucket.com/user/LoveMyHats2/media/IMAG4258_zpswbcw50fk.jpg.html] [/URL]

Some sky blue and cream Art Deco hand made from Italy. Not super sure how old these are, but they are in near new condition, I put some red sole protectors on the soles to help from getting too much wear on them. The color of blue just does not come out well on my cheapy cell phone!

PeterGunnLives

One of the Regulars
I was looking at that same listing on ebay. The soles are a little thick for my taste, though.

I like the Ben Shermans. The linen probably breathes nicely. But the bottoms have a bit too much grip, as I like to use specs as dancing shoes.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Not necessarily. While synthetic coating is used today, linseed oil lacquer was in the past.
You are correct. We have two pairs of vintage patent leather. When you look real close to the surface you can actually observe where the coatings lap over one another. I do keep them conditioned and with shoe trees with a bit of over kill on pulling them tight, and I get almost all of any creasing out.

PeterGunnLives

One of the Regulars
I'm not sure if I should post a new thread for this...

I have a pair of Stacy Adams black and white spectators from the nineties. Back then their stuff was nicer; these were made in Spain.
Anyway, as an adolescent back then, I didn't know much about shoe care, and for the most part I left them on shoe trees stretched out too far, causing the leather soles to flatten too much. Any ideas on getting the curvature back into the soles?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112