Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spectator Shoes

Edward

Bartender
I've been wearing my black/white wingtip brogues all week - I've missed them all Winter and decided to hang convention and get them out now.

I bought mine from www.violetpromotions.co.uk for a reasonable price of approx GBP75; they've had a reasonable amount of wear since 2003 and are still going strong. Some of my favourite shoes.

Edit:

Alas, I have just discovered Violet Promotions ceased trading on the 8th of last month. :( Anyone know of a comparable source in the UK? There are some nice options on eBay, but they're nearly twice the price. Eep!

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
I just scored on the spectators below. $3 from Goodwill. They are Bostonians, hardly used with nice clean leather and canvas. Also got the saddleshoes for $3. I'm so excited! :D

dressshoes.jpg

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Warbaby -- great quote, always love to read the deeper history of this sort of thing! Thank you. Josephine: Yes, those are spectators. Thunder: Marvelous find! I love thrifting too.

Josephine

One Too Many
Doran said:
Josephine: Yes, those are spectators. Thunder: Marvelous find! I love thrifting too.

Ooo! Cool, thank you. I plan on putting them up for sale and want to find out more about their style, etc. so I can describe them accurately.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Josephine said:
Ooo! Cool, thank you. I plan on putting them up for sale and want to find out more about their style, etc. so I can describe them accurately.

Those are pretty cool little numbers. Vintage?

Josephine

One Too Many
thunderw21 said:
Those are pretty cool little numbers. Vintage?

I think so, I bought them at an estate sale. They were made by the Freeman Shoe Company (went out of business in 1992). The only bit I can read on the inside quarter is "COMB 324 C3", and on the insole "It's a Freeman Shoe. Master Fitter". They have been reheeled (Cat's Paw heels). Tony McNally said they are likely 40's to early 50's. The woven part is interesting as it's open with no backing.

They came with these spreaders in them:

Spreader.gif

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Josephine said:

a GOOD IDEA WOULD BE TO PUT THEM HERE FOR SALE...imho

Josephine

One Too Many
cookie said:
a GOOD IDEA WOULD BE TO PUT THEM HERE FOR SALE...imho

I will. :) I have no idea of their worth though. I'll likely put them up on eBay.

I just checked eBay and there is a Freeman pair that are very similar to mine and the seller wants $110!! :eek: I don't think mine are in as good of a shape though.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Josephine said:
I will. :) I have no idea of their worth though. I'll likely put them up on eBay.

I just checked eBay and there is a Freeman pair that are very similar to mine and the seller wants $110!! :eek: I don't think mine are in as good of a shape though.

what size are they? please, please, please 9.5EEE! :p

kschurch

Vendor
Love my Allen Edmonds!

I love Allen Edmonds shoes. I have many pairs, but the spectator models are some of my favorites. Shown is the "Belmont" in black and brown and the "Broadstreet" in a kind of a cordovan color.

The pair on the far left is an interesting pair of shoes. They are "Nike Air Zooms." About a decade ago, Nike issued these shoes in very limited supply as golf shoes. I bought them and immediately had them resoled into street shoes. Of course Nike didn't manufacture them, they are Italian made I believe. Nike just branded them. Too bad Nikes don't look like this today!

Unique, to say the least.

Cheers,

Church

Picture007.jpg

Picture001.jpg

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Josephine said:
I also have no idea of their size! :( The size has been worn off the quarter panel. I can measure the outside of the sole for you.

If they are 12.5 inches long by 4.25 inches or more and 11.5 inside they are size 10.5/11 US. That crosshatching finish with the non-leather part is very unusual. All the ventilated specs were made by the same company - O'Sullivans - for all the other companies who badged 'em.

Josephine

One Too Many
Brian Sheridan said:
what size are they? please, please, please 9.5EEE! :p

Brian, I posted a link to the eBay auction for my shoes over in the Classifieds, along with the dimensions of the shoes:

Outside length: 11 1/8 inch
Outside width: 4 1/4 inch
Inside length: 10 1/4 inch - This inside length is only to the back of the insole; it does not include the bowing out for the heel.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Josephine said:
Brian, I posted a link to the eBay auction for my shoes over in the Classifieds, along with the dimensions of the shoes:

Outside length: 11 1/8 inch
Outside width: 4 1/4 inch
Inside length: 10 1/4 inch - This inside length is only to the back of the insole; it does not include the bowing out for the heel.

Thanks for measuring!
Anyone have an idea of what that translates into for size?

jjunner

New in Town
I am finding the bourbon and bone McClains at less and less stores... are they on their way out? That is to say - should I stop procrastinating and buy them already since they will be very hard to get soon?

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
jjunner said:
I am finding the bourbon and bone McClains at less and less stores... are they on their way out? That is to say - should I stop procrastinating and buy them already since they will be very hard to get soon?

The bourbon and bone combo has been discontinued, in favor of a black and white version. For this year, anyway. It'll probably change again in a season or two. The only place you'll be likely to find the bourbon/bone combo now is at AE outlets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy