Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spice Suggestions

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was inspired by this photo to create a dish I call "Stir Fry Sophia" (Prawns) as the person in the photo seemed to be deep in thought seeking wisdom as if that tree were the tree of Knowledge. Sophia means wisdom in Greek.

6e56db0d.jpg

As much as I love to cook I am always looking for new ways to spice up my meals.

First I shelled and deveined the prawns;

15922d6b.jpg

Then I sliced up scallions, mushrooms, red peppers and broccoli;

8b3678aa.jpg

When I stir fried the prawns in sesame oil I added red pepper, black pepper, bay leaf and paprika;

5642a83c.jpg

bd31d974.jpg

I steamed the broccoli and stir fried the other vegetables adding the slightest dash of teriyiaki sauce. Then I mixed the vegetables and added sesame seeds.

64e426ca.jpg

I added two bags of
2427.jpg
as a base.

In the future I can make my own fried rice or bake a loaf of bread depending on the mood of the meal.

After two hours of preparing and cooking this meal I feel as if I know exactly what that person were thinking.

My question is how does this dish sound and does anyone have any suggestions for different spices or a preference for rice, homemade bread or noodles?

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Carlisle Blues! that dish you have prepared looks positively SCRUMPTIOUS

Simply delicious! :eusa_clap :essen:

(I don't see how can you improve on perfection, but another suggestion also could be to marinate the prawns in a mixture of honey, soy sauce, a bit of garlic and grated ginger.)

Edit to say that the mixture that i suggested here is not to be added on top of your ingredients, this is a different prawn dish for another day. :)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Looks delicious, CB!

I might add a little ginger and basil, and place on a mound of steamed brown rice.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
You can do a very nice bhuna style dish with prawns which should also satisfy your spice cravings.

rumblefish

One Too Many
I always stir fry in peanut oil when using sesame. I put the sesame oil in at the the end of frying to preserve it's flavor.

I also sometimes toast the sesame seeds.

Carlisle Blues said:
When I stir fried the prawns in sesame oil I added red pepper, black pepper, bay leaf and paprika;

Then I mixed the vegetables and added sesame seeds.

My question is how does this dish sound and does anyone have any suggestions for different spices or a preference for rice, homemade bread or noodles?

You're not asking because you'd change the dish? This one is what you made it and it seems great to me.
Use a different group of ingredients and spices as you see fit for other recipes. Looks and sounds like you came up with a good one!:)

Carlisle Blues

Tomasso "
icon14.gif
Looks delicious, CB!"

Thank you Tomasso for the nice compliment!!!!:D :D Yes the ginger and basil over brown rice is an option that I have not considered very tasty and I would use fresh basil.

Binkie Smoked Paprika: the peppers are dried, slowly over an oak burning fire for several weeks. The result is a sweet, cool, smokey flavor. That would go very well with fish.

Brooksie Basmati rice is known for its fragrance and delicate flavor which would go very well is a seafood dish. I think it would add another dimension to the flavor of the prawn.

Smithy Bhuna style I find that very interesting because they way I cook is a bastardized version. Discovering how the base of the dish is made is tantilizing.

Thank you all for your suggestions I am getting hungry.....:essen: :)

Carlisle Blues

rumblefish said:
I always stir fry in peanut oil when using sesame. I put the sesame oil in at the the end of frying to preserve it's flavor.

I also sometimes toast the sesame seeds.

You're not asking because you'd change the dish? This one is what you made it and it seems great to me.
Use a different group of ingredients and spices as you see fit for other recipes. Looks and sounds like you came up with a good one!:)

I see regarding the peanut oil......Good idea. I think this is a great recipe I will keep it!!!

Thanks Rumblefish
icon14.gif

Carlisle Blues

HadleyH said:
Carlisle Blues! that dish you have prepared looks positively SCRUMPTIOUS

Simply delicious! :eusa_clap :essen:

(I don't see how can you improve on perfection, but another suggestion also could be to marinate the prawns in a mixture of honey, soy sauce, a bit of garlic and grated ginger.)

Edit to say that the mixture that i suggested here is not to be added on top of your ingredients, this is a different prawn dish for another day. :)

HadlyH thank for the wonderful compliment!!!!

The marinate you suggested I will do. I will mix in Octopus and substitute Teriyaki for Soy. I also may prepare rice for that dish!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

The suggestions made and the enthusiasm exhibited makes me want to cook this all over again............and that is one of the reasons I love to cook. Watching others enjoy what I spent time doing for them. Nothing but inspiring a total labor of love!!!!!!!!!!:D :D

Medvssa

One of the Regulars
Garlic and parsley, optional a bit of cognac, and you have gambas al ajillo ;)
Simple but pretty good.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
HadleyH said:
...marinate the prawns in a mixture of honey, soy sauce, a bit of garlic and grated ginger.

That is a great way to go. When I have done this I have also added fresh lime juice and a drop of Liquid Smoke. The tangy citrus plays against the sweetness of the honey. Yum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner