Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spotted an interesting hat at a Japanese thrift shop

boushi_mania

One of the Regulars
So, this evening, riding my bike home from work, I stopped in a secondhand shop in Sayama in order to scout out possible finds. (As I detailed in another thread, it's how I got a very nice 1950-ish peacoat for cheap.)

This time, I saw, sitting among the usual crop of sewn wool stingies, an actual fur-felt hat. It was a tan or tawny color, with a lowish C-crown and a stingy brim.

IMG_0132.jpg

It was dusty, but the felt was extremely soft, and the interior of the hat was in good condition, with an intact sweatband and liner with little-to-no visible damage. The brand would appear to be "Fuji", based on the writing in the liner, which was accompanied by "Kitton" in a cursive script. Not sure if that's the name of the model, or what.

IMG_0135.jpg

There was no size tag, as far as I could tell, but it was too small for my head, which meant it has to be a 7 1/8 or smaller. If I had to guess, I'd say 7 or 6 7/8.

Since it was so small, I didn't bother picking it up, but if someone else here is interested, I could still grab it—here's why:

IMG_0133.jpg

(I'm actually a little bit horrified that they went right through the felt to attach the price tag, but that'd be easily covered by a good brushing... right?)

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Fuji hats are made by a comapny I have written a thread on. Fujiico I think is the spelling in English, or Fujico - in any case they have a thread. They also make the Knox hats in Japan under license. Their Kiton brand is a notch below their Knox offerings, and a grade above their own label. They have a website (in the thread), and they are Japan`s original felt maket now diversified into automotive carpets, filters and the like. Looks old, but they still make this hat currently for CA4LA and others. Nice find though!

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
daizawaguy said:
Fuji hats are made by a comapny I have written a thread on. Fujiico I think is the spelling in English, or Fujico - in any case they have a thread. They also make the Knox hats in Japan under license. Their Kiton brand is a notch below their Knox offerings, and a grade above their own label. They have a website (in the thread), and they are Japan`s original felt maket now diversified into automotive carpets, filters and the like. Looks old, but they still make this hat currently for CA4LA and others. Nice find though!

That is what is so great about this place; someone knows something about almost everything! D-guy is our man in Japan!

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
boushi_mania said:
(I'm actually a little bit horrified that they went right through the felt to attach the price tag, but that'd be easily covered by a good brushing... right?)

Yes. I bought an old Resistol that was given the same treatment and the hole has since closed up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy