Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spring Loaded Collar Button HELP

kpreed

One of the Regulars
I was just gifted a set and have no-idea how to use them correctly. Regular Collar Buttons work great for me, but these are new for me. Can somebody help please? Thanks.
st.jpg

Rathdown

Practically Family
I guess that is why it is so alien for me, I will keep using the regular collar buttons. Thanks
Question about shirt studs: Why did the set only have three Studs?
Because in the pre-war era trousers were worn higher at the waist and only three studs were visible. Now that trousers are worn lower, a fourth stud is necessary.

Trombone

Familiar Face
Pardon me if I'm stepping over everybody, but I recall on a thread somewhere here that those would be formal waistcoat buttons. Formal Waistcoats have 3 buttons don't they?

Trombone

Familiar Face
I'm making a contrast between Shirt Studs and Waistcoat Buttons because whenever I've seen Waistcoat buttons, they have had the posts that attach them, unlike shirt studs, most of which I've seen have the small flat disk behind them. Did your buttons come with any others, maybe cuff links and shirt studs?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Pardon me if I'm stepping over everybody, but I recall on a thread somewhere here that those would be formal waistcoat buttons. Formal Waistcoats have 3 buttons don't they?

Detachable buttons for waistcoats are larger in size than shirt studs -- nearly twice as large, in fact. The small stud that this thread erroneously called a "spring loaded collar button" is definitely a shirt stud, not a waistcoat button.

Before the 1930s, single-breasted formal waistcoats had four buttons. Beginning in the '30s, it became more fashionable for them to have only three buttons.

Last edited:

kpreed

One of the Regulars
I'm making a contrast between Shirt Studs and Waistcoat Buttons because whenever I've seen Waistcoat buttons, they have had the posts that attach them, unlike shirt studs, most of which I've seen have the small flat disk behind them. Did your buttons come with any others, maybe cuff links and shirt studs?
The Set came in a case with places for the two Cuff Links and the three Shirt Studs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats