Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stalin, Lenin and Russian Clothing in general [Greeting, by the way]

BlueCrow

New in Town
Well, I finally get to post here. I live in Argentina, and I have worn hats for the past five years or so; this later led into an interest in vintage clothing, and I soon began wearing vintage suits and the like. Yet, I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m quite fond on the clothes of the ?¢‚Ǩ?ìlower-classes?¢‚Ǩ? and of other countries than the United States at the time as well. My like for vintage attire does not start in the 30s, but in the turn of the century (In short, I prefer the First World War rather than WWII). Anyway, since I reckon you do not have the time or desire to keep reading about myself, I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ll get to the point.

First of all, keep it clean, this is no place for political discussions; and furthermore, I did not post the thread to talk about historical figures or whatsoever. I do not intend to offend anyone with this topic.

Stalin, Lenin and Russia at the time:
(I am referring to this two figures, for the pictures I am going to post are of them, but I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ve got no idea if this clothes were widely used or not)

I would love to know what type of garments they wore. Starting from this two Jackets.

Stalin_Lenin.jpg

Lenin-and-Stalin.jpg

So far, that is all I am looking for. I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢d appreciate it if anybody could give me some information about them, for I dig this kind of outfit. Further info on the russian clothing will also be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Lenin's "business" suit -- in the second picture above -- was typical of those made a year or two before WWI began. The jacket was boxy, thick (serge or flannel, probably) and somewhat long. The sleeves were roomy. The trousers were tapered, with 2 inch cuffs. Lenin typically wore a white dress shirt with a semi-soft attached collar. The collar had eyelet holes for a collar pin to go through. Lenin's tie was wide. Just before 1920, ties were either narrow knits or wide, scarf-like, thick silks. Lenin preferred the latter, which explains why his tie knot was so bulky-looking.

Stalin's jacket appears to be an adaptation of the (pre-revolution) Russian soldiers' summer uniform, but don't hold me to it.

Mycroft

One Too Many
Stalin's I beleve is variation on a Russian General's suit. Welcome to the lounge and I am huge World War I fan and amiture(SP) historian. Great to have another WWI fan on the fourm.

matei

One Too Many
If you are into that Brejnev/Politburo look, and you ever have the chance to visit Russia or Eastern Europe, try to track down an older tailor and have them make you a suit.

It sounds daft but you can get lucky.

I posted about this some time ago. I had several suits made by a local (to us anyway) tailor in Bucharest who made suits for party members. Not only was the material top shelf (a story in itself), but the workmanship is solid. They are my favourite suits. A bit boxy compared to today's offerings, but unique. I feel like a real Party boss whenever I don one of these suits.

I've since been back and had two more done. Saddly, the wool that we used is no longer produced... Once in a while you'll come across a bolt of it, but by and large it is gone. The factory now produces fabric for export, and often does so with imported wool... :confused: No where near as thick or resistant as the old stuff.

BlueCrow

New in Town
Thanks to everyone for the replies and warm welcomes. I look forward to posting at the forums.
So far, what I got was quite useful. I guess it's too bad I won't be going to Eastern Europe soon.
Oh, and Veronica Parra, you seem to know a lot about the subject...

BlueCrow

New in Town
Mycroft said:
My friend's father's factory makes Mao suits, I will try to get hold of him for info if you want it.

Some info might be useful, but I'm not in the position of buying anything right now.

@DanielJones, thanks; I've tried to search around the internet, but got few results.
Anyway, I got to know of a place that imports (and sells) all sorts of Russian military items at a local "Weapon Expo".

RedOctober

New in Town
I apologize for grave-digging this post, but I am actually looking for the same type of thing, specifically the Lenin style suit. Problem is I am unable to get a tailor to custom make something for me, so I was wondering if anyone had further advice. Are their any places online I could find something similar? Thanks!

Jovan

Suspended
Custom clothing online can be a tricky proposition; there are many threads on it here -- both of success and failure -- if you're interested. Additionally, our member Indy Magnoli has an online business of custom clothing made in vintage styles. I am honestly way too tired (and need to sleep in a second) to look up all those threads, but hopefully one of our resident magicians can make specific thread links pop up our of thin air...

My Pop's Closet

New in Town
Where can I acquire a Cherkesska coat, the kind that were worn by Don Cossacks? Wikipedia provides that only the Kuban and the Terek hosts wore such a coat, but I have old B&W photos of Don Cossacks wearing it. I'd like to have one, since both of my grandfathers were Don Cossacks.

jgilbert

One of the Regulars
Stalin had this great looking overcoat, hidden buttons and long! It stopped just above the ankles. All the photos are in black and white so not sure of the color

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
His coat was seemingly just a Russian enlisted-man's style greatcoat. The color could have been anything from grey to brown. The Russians didn't change the style until the end of the USSR, so you can buy postwar versions that look identical for about $30.

RedOctober

New in Town
My friend has one of those coats, it cost about $40 and another $50 or so to ship frmo Ukraine. Know of any good sites other than Trident to purchase these from? I'm actually looking to get one of those as well, to replace my current Soviet Navy greatcoat that is getting a bit old and worn.

jgilbert

One of the Regulars
Vladimir Berkov said:
His coat was seemingly just a Russian enlisted-man's style greatcoat. The color could have been anything from grey to brown. The Russians didn't change the style until the end of the USSR, so you can buy postwar versions that look identical for about $30.

The coat I am thinking of was close fitting above the waist and from the waist down was wider so when he walked the coat could stay completely button. I think is was also longer.

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters