Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Star-Struck: Hollywood Costumes & Designers, 1932 – 2006 exhibit in Dallas

Dracca

One of the Regulars
Star-Struck: Hollywood Costumes & Designers, 1932 – 2006 exhibit in Dallas

I went to visit my parents this last week/weekend and saw a really fun exhibit.

Anyway, there were some BEAUTIFUL dresses. All but two (one 'gone with the wind' dress and one 'my fair lady' dress and hat) were original. Those two they had to reproduce for some reason.

Here is the info from their official site. It is at the womens museum in fair park (state fair is going on at the moment).

If you are in the area go take a look if you can, it really is worth it.

SPECIAL EXHIBITS

Star-Struck: Hollywood Costumes & Designers, 1932 – 2006
September 28 – October 28, 2007

Mary Rose, the curator of the famous Marilyn Monroe Exhibit at the Museum during the State Fair of Texas 2006, brings her knowledge and expertise with authenticated Hollywood memorabilia to produce this astonishing exhibit of famous costumes worn by our most captivating “leading women.” The exhibit, Star-Struck will premiere at The Women’s Museum: An Institute for the Future, just in time for the State Fair of Texas, September 28 through October 28, 2007. Fans will be Star-Struck all over again when viewing major movie stars costumes from favorite films spanning the years 1932 to 2006. A retrospect of costumes worn by Claudette Colbert, Elizabeth Taylor, Audrey Hepburn, Julie Andrews, and Barbara Streisand’s finest moments on film combined with a jolt of such pop culture divas as Kate Winslett, Gwyneth Paltrow, Nicole Kidman, Reese Witherspoon and the Dreamgirls is not to be missed! A spectacular array of 50 original designer’s sketches will accompany the costume collection. Many sketches are Academy Award winning or nominated films from 1965 to 2006, from “Sound of Music” to Hollywoodland. Various movie posters and film clips will make this walk of fame as memorable as a visit to Groman’s Chinese Theater.

This exhibit is a once in a lifetime experience unless you saw parts of it in Japan last year. Following its exhibition at The Women’s Museum, it will go back to its various owners around the country. The span of the actual garments worn by or designed by such living legends will attract tourist from the youngest pop star follower to the Gone with the Wind generations.

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
Aww! Bit far to travel from Australia to look at garments!

But I'd love to see some of those! I saw one of Kate Winslets "Titanic" dresses once - it was beautiful!

texasgirl

One Too Many
My mom and I are going to see this when the fair is over and the crowds will be better. Did they let you take pictures?

Dracca

One of the Regulars
texasgirl said:
My mom and I are going to see this when the fair is over and the crowds will be better. Did they let you take pictures?

I am not sure on pictures, I didn't take my camera because I didn't know the exhibit was there, we were just visiting my parents in Dallas for the weekend and decided to go to the fair and until I got the fair handout listing exhibits I had no clue there was anything there that I would want to carry a camera around all day for in that crowd. I really wish that I had once I saw it but by then my camera was at their house in Richardson and we were in the middle of fair park. :(

I would call them and just ask.

You are probably smart to not go during the fair. The only day we had to go was that friday and later in the day, as I had lunch with my friend before we headed that way so it put us at about 3:30 getting there. It was high school day AND Friday night. There were gang unit police everywhere, I mean like groups of 50 of them, helicopters with search light circling and a very big crowd, one of those where on the midway you just have to hold on to the people you are with to not get lost. I had not been since I was a kid but I honestly do not remember it being that bad inside the fair. It was nuts.

anabolina

A-List Customer
Darn. I was at the Fair on Friday (same time you were there Dracca, strange) and we didn't go anywhere near the Women's Museum. You're right, there were a lot of police there. Me and my perhaps guy got there at 2 though and left around 7:30 and we certainly noticed the build up of police as it got later in the day. I've never seen that many police in one place. Maybe someone tipped them off about some gang violence or something.

Now I kinda feel like I need to go again. I would wait until the Fair ends to avoid the cost of parking and admission, but its ending in only a couple of weeks and the Fair is a lot of fun... hmmm, got to consider.

Dracca

One of the Regulars
anabolina said:
Darn. I was at the Fair on Friday (same time you were there Dracca, strange) and we didn't go anywhere near the Women's Museum. You're right, there were a lot of police there. Me and my perhaps guy got there at 2 though and left around 7:30 and we certainly noticed the build up of police as it got later in the day. I've never seen that many police in one place. Maybe someone tipped them off about some gang violence or something.

Now I kinda feel like I need to go again. I would wait until the Fair ends to avoid the cost of parking and admission, but its ending in only a couple of weeks and the Fair is a lot of fun... hmmm, got to consider.
Wow that is amazing that we were out there at the same time and didn't even know!

texasgirl

One Too Many
Well, we went to this exhibit last weekend and it was fabulous! They wouldn't let us take pictures though :( But I am bored at work and thought I'd try to remember some of them and find pictures to post:

Scarlett O'Hara's BBQ Dress- the hoops (or whatever made this dress so big) on this were crazy!
Color20BBQ20Picture.jpg

Audrey Hepburn's My Fair Lady- the hat was so enormous- I don't know how Audrey didn't topple over!
untitled-3.jpg

Reese Witherspoon as June Carter Cash
ScreenHunter_01Nov021633.jpg

Dreamgirls- these were sequined on every spec!
untitled3.jpg

The Titanic Flying Gown- I didn't remember much about this one in the film, but it was spectacular in person
untitled1.jpg

There were several others but they are escaping me at the moment, but I thought ya'll would enjoy these. I really wish I could have taken pictures of the detailing on these dresses, just amazing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GilbertHit