Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Star Trek

Did you saw the trailer for final Picard - Season 3?

Ouch!! And they even gave the USS Titan an Enterprise 1701 A-like design. Haha, can't be more goofy!

Man, Trek is sooo dead...

Well, I've finally seen the first eight episodes (season 1) of Star Trek: Picard. I'm enjoying it, but it has problems that I can't discuss openly without revealing too much. On the other hand, improved technology makes the visual effects very believable, and the show's "streaming" delivery system means the writing is at more of an adult level. This is not to say there's a steady stream of cursing and/or sex, but rather the scripts haven't been "dumbed down" like they were for the broadcast shows. This isn't your kiddies "Star Trek", but I think that works in it's favor.

The most clearly evidence that they recognized their misconstruction, was the (expectable) need of re-introducing Q to keep the story going. Otherwise, they could have stopped the show, immediately. What should have been without the answer to Picard's and Q's relationship in reference to TNG "All Good Things"?

And now a further season, bringing back TNG crew and whatever is there available of Starfleet...

PS:
Remember Nemesis. ;)

Last edited:
Nemesis isn't just the worst Star Trek movie; it's one of the worst movies I've seen period. As far as re-introducing Q, as far as I know he was one of the favorite recurring Trek "villains" and the back-and-forth between he and Picard is always fun. I haven't seen season 2 yet, so, please, no spoilers.

I read just this morning that Paramount has given the green light to a third season of Picard, so I'm hoping they won't screw it up.

I like the addition of the tagline "The Final Season". No ambiguity, no, "Will there or won't there?" discussions about subsequent seasons, no guessing games, Paramount is telling the fans, "This is it." And it seems they've brought back the characters that the fans want to see reunited, though I wonder if Colm Meaney, Wil Wheaton, and/or Denise Crosby will perhaps have surprise cameo appearances.

Back to the Pegasus Project.

What I don't get. WHY some people in Starfleet Command and Admiralty would really cover Eric Pressman's illegal things, if it's clearly against the Treaty of Algeron??

I mean, yes, some people in Starfleet see the treaty as a shame, but it's an OFFICIAL treaty! And Starfleet isn't an classic army.
Why would you do so, risking your career, risking serious interstellar trouble?
Where were Federation Secret Sevices, all these years?

Last edited:
Reactions: BGR

Edward

Bartender
Well, I've finally seen the first eight episodes (season 1) of Star Trek: Picard. I'm enjoying it, but it has problems that I can't discuss openly without revealing too much. On the other hand, improved technology makes the visual effects very believable, and the show's "streaming" delivery system means the writing is at more of an adult level. This is not to say there's a steady stream of cursing and/or sex, but rather the scripts haven't been "dumbed down" like they were for the broadcast shows. This isn't your kiddies "Star Trek", but I think that works in it's favor.

Yes, every Star Trek series has its own vibe and does its own thing: I'm rather enjoying that this show has been allowed to be different than the others - darker. The third series has been excellent thus far imo - better than the first two (which I did enjoy).

I like the addition of the tagline "The Final Season". No ambiguity, no, "Will there or won't there?" discussions about subsequent seasons, no guessing games, Paramount is telling the fans, "This is it." And it seems they've brought back the characters that the fans want to see reunited, though I wonder if Colm Meaney, Wil Wheaton, and/or Denise Crosby will perhaps have surprise cameo appearances.

Yes, this is something I've noticed seems to be characteristic of streaming. A lot of traditional television (especially in US network shows) was built on a model of keeping something going as long as it kept ratings high enough, which in practice often meant overstaying a show's welcome, and dwindling audience figures down to the renewal red line reflecting a slide into poor quality, the shark having been vaulted. Streamers seem much more ready to embrace the idea of a "limited season" in the vein of an 'extended movie'. Of course, that has its downside too - see Netflix, who never knowingly let a popular show get a second or third season if they can help it, the theory being that more, new shows will better sell the platform.

Back to the Pegasus Project.

What I don't get. WHY some people in Starfleet Command and Admiralty would really cover Eric Pressman's illegal things, if it's clearly against the Treaty of Algeron??

I mean, yes, some people in Starfleet see the treaty as a shame, but it's an OFFICIAL treaty! And Starfleet isn't an classic army.
Why would you do so, risking your career, risking serious interstellar trouble?
Where were Federation Secret Sevices, all these years?

Two reasons. 1] It serves the story..... and, in universe, 2] even in the far future the nature of some humans is to be corrupt and behave unlawfully if they think it works to their advantage and they can get away with it.

BGR

New in Town
I've also enjoyed Star Trek: Picard. This third season is building up nicely, and it's good to see some of the classic characters making their appearances. Worf, in particular, has really evolved. Looking at the teaser preview, it appears we'll see Moriarty again. Since holodeck characters don't appear to be off the table, I'm hoping Jean-Luc will make one more Dixon Hill appearance again. Cheers!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Sorry if it's already been mentioned here, but we have recently discovered Center Seat: 55 Years of Star Trek, and are almost through the first (and only?) season of it. I actually can't absorb it fast enough.

Narrated by Gates McFadden, and featuring many of the actors and behind-the-scenes folks who made the shows and movies possible.

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sorry if it's already been mentioned here, but we have recently discovered Center Seat: 55 Years of Star Trek, and are almost through the first (and only?) season of it. I actually can't absorb it fast enough.

Narrated by Gates McFadden, and featuring many of the actors and behind-the-scenes folks who made the shows and movies possible.

Where can I see this? To what streaming service do I need to subscribe? Regretably, i Hesitate to sign up for ever more steaming services because I already have enough that I rarely watch. Sigh.

Jon Crow

One of the Regulars
I've always been a Trekkie, I actually like the Enterprise with Jonathan Archer, has anyone seen these jackets for sale around? This is one of my faves, the Kirk red suede bomber
Anovos Star Trek The Original Series movie era bomber jacket.png

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The old broadcast-television network production model was based on the goal of doing enough episodes to make the series salable in local syndication after the network run ended -- there was no formal threshold for this, but it was generally considered that a program with less than 100 episodes available would be a difficult off-network sell because most reruns were "stripped" -- shown five times a week -- by the local stations that bought them. A 100-episode run would give you 20 weeks without repeating, which was considered the minimum that veiwers would tolerate. This rule was never hard and fast, and there were a number of 1960s series that defied it -- Star Trek TOS and "Gilligan's Island", both of which had less than 100 episodes, played in after-school time slots thruout the '70s and made a lot of money doing so. But generally speaking, the goal for a producer was to keep their show in production at least five years, to build up that backlog for syndication. Anything after this was considered to be pure gravy.

This model had both up and down sides. The longer a show ran the more the latter seasons were likely to be mediocre as actors dropped out, writers moved on, and ideas were exhausted. But these long runs also meant more opportunity for world-building and character development -- and this is borne out in Berman-era Trek, where many of the best episodes are built around characterization rather than plot.

The modern streaming model, though, built around these 10-episode every-season-a-movie plot arcs, doesn't really allow this. When you've only got ten episodes in a season, you don't have time to do much but move the plot forward. There's no place for the kind of "Barclay on the holodeck" or "O'Brien Must Suffer" filler episodes that gave Berman-Trek some of its best moments. I've followed "Picard" right along, and I can't help but wish there were opportunities to do low-consequence character episodes like that.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Tiki Tom - The Center Seat is currently available on Amazon Prime.

I watched most of it a few weeks ago. It's okay, but how much you get out of it mainly depends on your own Trek history.

For me - as somebody who watched from the first broadcast in 1966 and was an original hardcore fan, one who read all the major books and magazines, and followed all the series and movies (and backstage production details) religiously until things petered out with ST: Nemesis and ST: Enterprise (*) - there was very little in this series that I haven't already known for decades.

But if you're a more casual fan, there's a lot to enjoy here... though don't expect depth. The series' coverage and detail is on about the same lightweight level as most History Channel shows.

(* I absolutely detest the rebooted "Abramsverse" films. And I haven't watched any of the recent streaming shows, so I have no opinion on them. Personally, I'm pretty Trekked-out.)

Last edited:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Although a fan since TOS went into syndication the first time (I was not old enough to watch TOS in its prime time first run years], I'm not hardcore about much of anything, and am enjoying CS very much. :)

My own opinions of the various serieses basically coincided with the historical narrative of them described throughout CS, even down to the whys and individual aspects of each series that either made it, limited it, or broke it. The only show where my views differed from what CS described was DS9. I could not, and still cannot watch any of that show.

At this moment, we just (last night) finished the CS episode that traces the history of the spaceships of the Star Trek universe, of course focusing mostly on the Enterprise. The last two episodes focus on the series Enterprise, and then the actors' reflections on their experiences. We will probably watch those tonight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points