Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Starched Shirt Question.

TCMfan25

Practically Family
Is it acceptable to wear a starched bib shirt for everyday dress? I do not like the translucency of normal white shirts, I was watching "Secret Agent" (1936) and Robert Young was wearing one with a tie and spear collar.

Qirrel

Practically Family
If you are thinking from a historical perspective then yes, it was the norm until around the turn of the century. Getting thicker shirts would also solve your problems. From a contemporary perspective I guess it wouldn't make a huge difference to the way people perceive you if you were already a wearer of vintage.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Getting thicker shirts would also solve your problems.
Royal oxford is a good choice for the more modest among us.....or you can have your shirts made with a double-front; that's what I do with my voile shirts. Of course the simplest solution would be to wear an undershirt which will have a mitigating effect on that dreaded translucency.

Hap Hapablap

One of the Regulars
I can't picture the scene in the movie. I have seen it a million times, but can't envision it. Where about is this?
The wardrobe of that movie is oddly anachronistic. It is supposed to take place during WWI, but you wouldn't know it by the suits. John Gielgud's DB looks like it came out of his closet in 1936. I guess they didn't try too hard back then, unless it was a costume period piece.

TCMfan25

Practically Family
I can't picture the scene in the movie. I have seen it a million times, but can't envision it. Where about is this?
The wardrobe of that movie is oddly anachronistic. It is supposed to take place during WWI, but you wouldn't know it by the suits. John Gielgud's DB looks like it came out of his closet in 1936. I guess they didn't try too hard back then, unless it was a costume period piece.

Young is laying on his Hotel Room Bed speaking to Madeleine Carroll, he had no jacket on, but a starched bib shirt, spear collar, and regular necktie.

I have tried to find a photo of the scene, but it has proved impossible.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Young is laying on his Hotel Room Bed speaking to Madeleine Carroll, he had no jacket on, but a starched bib shirt, spear collar, and regular necktie.

I have tried to find a photo of the scene, but it has proved impossible.

This scene?

Young.jpg

TCMfan25

Practically Family
Unfortunately, I am not in Finland :(.

The Vintage Shops I have visited all have Vintage Shirts, yet seemingly never in my size.

To the deep abyss of The Bay I must venture, in seek of thick Vintage shirting! :p

drummer4hire

New in Town
you can also help the problem by wearing grey undershirts, as the reflect the right amount of light. that, and they tend to add a richness to your shirts' color, or make whites seem whiter.

Rathdown

Practically Family
you can also help the problem by wearing grey undershirts, as the reflect the right amount of light. that, and they tend to add a richness to your shirts' color, or make whites seem whiter.
Or you can have your shirts made to order and specify a heavier weight cotton, and period collars and cuffs. Starching also helps cut down on transparency.

You might also consider avoiding undershirts with brightly coloured logos emblazoned across the chest... ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn