Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stars And Their Cars

⇧ Cool things about this:
  • Looks like the dog could slide over and drive if asked
  • That car
  • The of-the-period nonchalance of his pipe and scarf
  • That plane

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
While it wasn't his, I always liked John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara with the Stutz Bearcat, in The Wings Of Eagles. Johns beast movie, where he showed he could actually act!
1914%20Stutz%20Bearcat%20john%20wayne%20Maureen%20Ohara_zpszz9d6tas.jpg
2E49CEF200000578-3311130-image-m-36_1447128146328_zpstai39gqm.jpg

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Carroll Shelby, Jim "Chaparral" Hall and Gary Laughlin asked Chevrolet for three 1959 Corvette chassis sans bodies, stop me if you've heard this one! As you all know, the top Chevy brass said "sure why not." The three Texans in turn sent them to Carrozzeria Scaglietti in Maranello, Italy, the couch-builders for Ferrari. What came out the other end were three of the most beautiful cars of all times. Sadly, some one in Chevy decided to pull the plug, there is a lot of finger pointing, but no hard evidence of who did it. Of course, the first two men went on to become automobile legends! As for Scagliette, one beautiful car after another!
2015-09-01_20-31-49_zpsylq6gyp5.jpg
2013-01-corvette-turns-sixty-09_zpswyegumkz.jpg
1959_Scaglietti_Corvette_Italia_18_zpswe88wmz8.jpg
1959_Chevrolet_CorvetteScagliettiCoupe5_zpsh8kkzguc.jpg

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
I've long had an interest in Rover cars, which haven't been made as such for decades. As a matter of fact, my signature "BlueTrain" comes from an advertising campaign from the Rover Company in the 1930s. A Rover sedan beat the Blue Train to the South of France, which was a thing to do in those days, I suppose, and they made a big deal of it, promoting their car as the "Blue Train Rover."

I've owned two Rovers, one of which was a V-8 and a really fast car, as well as "real" Land-Rover, meaning a 1965 4-cylinder short-wheelbase model that was not at all a fast vehicle. I've only heard of two stars who had Rovers. One was Bill Crosby, who mentioned it somewhere. The other one was Grace Kelly, who died from a crash while driving her 1971 Rover 3500, same model I had. Queen Elizabeth also used to drive a Rover and the family still favors Land-Rovers and Range Rovers, I understand.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I've long had an interest in Rover cars, which haven't been made as such for decades. As a matter of fact, my signature "BlueTrain" comes from an advertising campaign from the Rover Company in the 1930s. A Rover sedan beat the Blue Train to the South of France, which was a thing to do in those days, I suppose, and they made a big deal of it, promoting their car as the "Blue Train Rover."

I've owned two Rovers, one of which was a V-8 and a really fast car, as well as "real" Land-Rover, meaning a 1965 4-cylinder short-wheelbase model that was not at all a fast vehicle. I've only heard of two stars who had Rovers. One was Bill Crosby, who mentioned it somewhere. The other one was Grace Kelly, who died from a crash while driving her 1971 Rover 3500, same model I had. Queen Elizabeth also used to drive a Rover and the family still favors Land-Rovers and Range Rovers, I understand.
rover.jpg
The former owner of my MG was selling the car to help finance his next purchase, a Rover P2. A beautiful car, similar to this one. Curious though, the colour is so reminiscent of the MG.
rover-p2.jpg
j-o-q.jpg

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
Interesting! The two cars look quite similar, don't they? I do not believe I've seen either of those models in person. In fact the last Rover saloon car I saw was, I think, a P4, a not particularly attractive model. But I saw a relatively rare but relatively recent Land-Rover on Saturday, a late model long-wheelbase 3-door. I always thought the Discovery model was attractive because it actually looked like a Land-Rover but they're starting to become rare around here now. Lots of Range Rovers, though. They're all way too expensive for me now.

Nice paint jobs on both those cars, by the way.

HadleyH1

One Too Many

"Janet Gaynor and Douglas Fairbanks, Jr., admire the 1938 Phantom Corsair Cord 810, which looks a bit like a submarine. This was a prototype, never a production model. The auto was featured as “The Flying Wombat” in the David O. Selznick film, The Young in Heart (’38) starring Gaynor and Fairbanks. Hence, the promotional photo. The prototype, the only one that was built, is on display at the Harrah Collection in Reno Nevada."

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab

"Janet Gaynor and Douglas Fairbanks, Jr., admire the 1938 Phantom Corsair Cord 810, which looks a bit like a submarine. This was a prototype, never a production model. The auto was featured as “The Flying Wombat” in the David O. Selznick film, The Young in Heart (’38) starring Gaynor and Fairbanks. Hence, the promotional photo. The prototype, the only one that was built, is on display at the Harrah Collection in Reno Nevada."

Possibly an inspiration for the Batmobile, I'd guess. The first Batman appearance in Detective Comics was in 1939.

:p :D

1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112