Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Steam shaping a snap brim ?

The Mick

New in Town
I have a Stetson that has been slightly misshaped during moving. The brim in the rear of the hat has been pushed upward. I have never shaped a hat before but it seems a minor task given some advice. it is a felt with a snap brim. Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you.

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hi Mick,

Either steam or water would do. In case the problem is near the flange area - the "break" between crown and brim - be easy, because you could destroy the springiness this area has.

Mav

A-List Customer
Full kettle, stove, steam. Keep it away from the sweatband, and it's a piece o' cake. We overworry these things.

The Mick

New in Town
This is my first "nice" hat other than a leather western. So this will be my first go at it. Sounds as if it should go okay. I'll give it a go in the morning and report back. Thanks

The Mick

New in Town
I just came to realize the wife got rid of the tea kettle for an electric one. So I'm unsure what to do. Would the steam from the electric kettle be enough? It wouldn't have any pressure or real direction.

jwalls

Vendor
Now I feel guilty. I picked up a Jiffy Steamer at a yard sale today for $8.00. Got it home and tried it out to see if it was going to have to be rebuilt. It worked fine. It is not going to replace my two larger ones but it will be easier to carry around to other venues.

Bustercat

A-List Customer
I'm new to the felt hat world, but I've found a cheap clothes steamer works great.
Just get it hot and damp and mold it. As it cools it holds shape and stays where you put it.

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Also, if your clothes iron has a steam button or vertical steaming feature that works too. It's not a concentrated stream like the one produced from a proper kettle, but I've used my iron with more than favorable results.

enrique

New in Town
If I take some steam, or water, to the front of my new campdraft to pull the brim down slightly (leaving it rolled) to get a little more of a western cowboy shape out of the brim -- does it effect the 'snap' in the brim any way? Will the shape I leave it in be the new "unsnapped" look? (As in if I wanted to will it be fine to snap it down). Is messing with the shape of the brim about the same as messing with the crown, try it and if you dont like it put it back and try again.

Sorry for all the noob questions. My previous felt hats have been wide brim resistols cowboy hats and I let others shape them for me and I have never had a snap brim hat.

g.durand

One Too Many
enrique--if I understand correctly what you want to do, if you steam the brim while pulling it down into a western shape in front it will probably cause the brim to remain that way. Steam basically sets the stiffening agent that is added to the felt. To get it back into the shape it is now you would need to iron and steam the brim on a hat flange shaped the same as the one that Akubra used, or one similar.

If I take some steam, or water, to the front of my new campdraft to pull the brim down slightly (leaving it rolled) to get a little more of a western cowboy shape out of the brim -- does it effect the 'snap' in the brim any way? Will the shape I leave it in be the new "unsnapped" look? (As in if I wanted to will it be fine to snap it down). Is messing with the shape of the brim about the same as messing with the crown, try it and if you dont like it put it back and try again.

Sorry for all the noob questions. My previous felt hats have been wide brim resistols cowboy hats and I let others shape them for me and I have never had a snap brim hat.

Remember you are messing with a bound edge snap brim so working the ribbon material along with the felt brim is involved. Depending on how snuggly the binding was applied will be a factor on your brim shaping. I've seen a good many bound edged westerns but they aren't flanged like a snap brim. I've also seen a few OR's with "western curled" brims as well, so know it can be done.

enrique

New in Town
enrique--if I understand correctly what you want to do,

Just to be clear, what I want to do is pull the front brim of the hat -- with the roll up -- down about the width of the ribbon, maybe a little less. When I do it with my fingers it is enough to reduce the roll in front slightly and looks better on me IMO. I am probably making a bigger deal out of this than neccessary, but I did not want to undo something (even slightly) that is not easily redone.

And after reading gt's posting -- am I correct in understanding that bound edge snap brims are -- more or less -- designed to be worn as is -- either snap up or snap down -- and not as individualized as the crown of the hats?

Last edited:
Felt hats have been & can be re-blocked & re-flanged. That was part of regular hat wear back in the day. What you can do on your own is up to you & your creativity & capabilities which is hard for others to answer. I have used a steam iron, handkerchief & the edge of an ironing board to rework many brims. Like not pinching a crease to tightly, as long as you don't "break" a brim, you should be okay.

g.durand

One Too Many
OK, now I understand. I just tried it with my Campdraft (without steam) and it won't stay that way. It's almost new and the memory of the shape in the felt makes it snap back up. Steam would probably set it, though. Just remember if you steam it into that shape you may not get it back to the curl that it came with, but that may be your preference. And remember gtdean's advice about the bound edge affecting what you can do--every hat has its quirks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner