Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Steam to fit?

FormerDATT

New in Town
I have a new out of the box Stetson Rancher. It is a 7 3/8 which is my size. I think though I may be a long oval. The hat fits but it's just not right. Back in my Marine days when boots were leather, we would soak them in warm water, dump them out, and wear all day to conform a better fit. It worked with boots. Will this work with a hat? Might I steam the inner hat until quite moist and then wear for a long period, like outside for a few hours? I have read here about protecting the leather liner/band. I have a streatcher but again, it's my head shape not the size which needs ajustment. Any comment would be appreciated. Thanks!

DougC

Practically Family
I'm sure someone who know better than me will pipe up--don't steam the inside. Go around the outside where the brim and crown meet. OR have it reblocked into a long oval. By the way, I like that Rancher hat! what color?

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I have a new out of the box Stetson Rancher. It is a 7 3/8 which is my size. I think though I may be a long oval. The hat fits but it's just not right. Back in my Marine days when boots were leather, we would soak them in warm water, dump them out, and wear all day to conform a better fit. It worked with boots. Will this work with a hat? Might I steam the inner hat until quite moist and then wear for a long period, like outside for a few hours? I have read here about protecting the leather liner/band. I have a streatcher but again, it's my head shape not the size which needs ajustment. Any comment would be appreciated. Thanks!
If you are a Long Oval, you probably would want to take (or mail to ) a hatter or hat shop to have it re-blocked to fit a Long Oval head shape. Did you buy it at a brick & mortar store or from a web retailer? You might be able to return it for exchange for a LO blocked hat. I would not do anything on your own if it is a new hat and any of these possibilities are available to you.

Stetson are notoriously round these days = no longer offered in Long Oval & Extra Long Oval.
Steaming the crown around the base then wearing it is the best way to get it to conform next to sending it off to have it reblocked.
Ranchers are pretty stiff too, so it'll take a good bit of wearing to see any effect.
Cool water on the sweat then letting it dry on your head can help. Make sure to recondition the leather since drying takes oils out of the leather.

FormerDATT

New in Town
Gents, thanks so far for all the fast replies. The Rancher was "new old stock" from EBay. I have not the patience with sending it off. I will not steam the inside as some have cautioned. I will steam the outer brim/crown area and wear for a long while. Maybe that one comment re Stetsons being more round is really applicable with me. I feel contact in some areas but not uniform all around my head.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran