Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Steaming out crinkles

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Does anyone have any advice as to steaming out the crinkles in delicate fabrics?

I have no idea how to do this? I have a number of items that need some TLC and ironing really isn't an option as they are so intricate etc.

Any advice would be most welcome as I would hate to ruin something by doing it wrong.

(pity this doesn't work on the wrinkles on my face too!!!!! :p :p )

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I suggest wrapping the head of the steamer with a white cloth to prevent it from sputtering and leaving water spots on the garment.

Otherwise, steam from inside the garment, gently pulling the wrinkles out as you go. Make sure you move fairly quickly, because it is easy to burn yourself (I work at a bridal shop and steamed many a gown.)

Grace

Vendor
I agree with jitterbug. I steam everything from the inside of the garment-it seems to work much better.

And do be careful! I was up underneath a satin 40s gown steaming the skirt, and I brought the steamer head to my knee for a split second, a fraction of a split second, and gave myself the the worst burn I've ever had!! I still have scars...can't wait til swim suit season haha

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
And do be careful! I was up underneath a satin 40s gown steaming the skirt, and I brought the steamer head to my knee for a split second, a fraction of a split second, and gave myself the the worst burn I've ever had!! I still have scars...can't wait til swim suit season haha

I have done the same, but luckily not burned myself too badly. If you are working with a long garment, make sure you don't let the steam build up inside (keep the steamer head moving fairly quickly), as it will burn like the dickens!

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Thanks for the advice ladies!!

What if you don't have a "steamer" I have a very good steam iron is this any good, I don't know if you can use those vertically etc or do I need to invest in a new piece of kit?

Etienne

A-List Customer
Steaming

You could look at travel steamers. I have one from ages ago that uses a bit of salt with it and you hold it vertically--it was about $5 when I first got it. Also, if you have to use a regular iron, put a pressing cloth between the iron and the fabric--a thin piece of cotton works well, and hold the iron above the fabric and press the steam button. Hope this helps!

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Also if you can have the garment hanging up I've found the creases many times will just fall out with gravity. Just watch your hands, cause I second on the burn aspect with the other ladies, swore a blue streak when I got it too close to my wrist once!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner