Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Steampunk, Dieselpunk, etc.

Feraud

Bartender
Hmmm not sure I am enjoying this surge in mainstream steampunk aesthetic.
I am seeing one too many vintage timepieces cannibalized for parts and stuck on to any inappropratiate common item.
A steampunk enhanced mechanical item is interesting but steampunk earrings, cufflinks, belt buckles, etc. make no sense.

Do not get me started on that disgusting steampunk taxidermy.

Warbaby

One Too Many
I really like the Steampunk aesthetic, but I'm with you in my loathing for things simply decorated with odd bits of clockwork and brass. If it's got gears, I expect them to do something; if it's got brass tubing, something better be flowing through it.

I think mobile phones would be a lot cooler if they looked like this field telephone from the late 20s-early 30s. The antenna is a particularly nice touch.

Mobile Phone_1930s.jpg

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
Warbaby said:
I think mobile phones would be a lot cooler if they looked like this field telephone from the late 20s-early 30s. The antenna is a particularly nice touch.

Mobile Phone_1930s.jpg
Lets see someone try and talk on that while they're driving.lol

Story

I'll Lock Up
Warbaby said:
The antenna is a particularly nice touch.[/IMG][/CENTER]

That reminds me of something else ... ever see the SOUTH PARK episode, where Cartman is kidnapped by Aliens? lol

Slim Portly

One Too Many
Warbaby said:

Mobile Phone_1930s.jpg
I'm pretty sure Sprint has something like that. It comes with an Alexander Graham Bell ringtone. "Watson, come here! I need you!... Watson, come here! I need you!..."

RIOT

Practically Family
Story said:
http://gothamist.com/2008/05/22/telectroscope_t.php

Telectroscope to London Unveiled at Brooklyn Bridge /The Telectroscope, London's window on New York

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...lectroscope,-London's-window-on-New-York.html

tele1_673233c.jpg

Simple green striped pullover gives him a Jules Verne-ish look.

The Telecroscope. I went by it over the weekend, the lines it drew for a 5 minute glimpse through the other side was stunning. I had to pass, however it did look incredible. Definitely something out of Jules Verne's imagination.

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/telectroscope/home.php

zaika

One Too Many
RIOT said:
The Telecroscope. I went by it over the weekend, the lines it drew for a 5 minute glimpse through the other side was stunning. I had to pass, however it did look incredible. Definitely something out of Jules Verne's imagination.

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/telectroscope/home.php

i'm kinda new to this thread...but holy cow!!! that is the coolest thing EVER. :eek: he should set up a whole bunch of those things around the world. lol

RIOT

Practically Family
heh..

The NYC-London FL'ers should try and set up a Coffee-Tea meet-up at the Telecroscope sometime before it closes. Though I am in hopes that it stays there permanently. ;)

Lolly B

New in Town
Okay I have never even heard of steampunk until this past week. I think there may be something addictive about it since I am now googling the heck out of it.

One thing I picked up on is that I have some old watches that the guts would make really nifty pendants.

Anyone see the movie "Hellboy"? That clock work man/machine was definitely steampunk and one of the creepiest, fascinating things (and obviously memorable since that movie was from 2004) that I can ever remember seeing.

So to answer the op's question: yes.

I deem steampunk cool until I get bored with it. lol

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just a moment ago won these brass goggle-type sunglasses on Ebay, coming all the way from Tibet. They seem Steam Age. I imagine wearing them in a Chinese opium den around 1895.

S2222.jpg

Story

I'll Lock Up
Although Otlet’s proto-Web relied on a patchwork of analog technologies like index cards and telegraph machines, it nonetheless anticipated the hyperlinked structure of today’s Web. “This was a Steampunk version of hypertext,” said Kevin Kelly, former editor of Wired, who is writing a book about the future of technology.

Otlet’s vision hinged on the idea of a networked machine that joined documents using symbolic links. While that notion may seem obvious today, in 1934 it marked a conceptual breakthrough. “The hyperlink is one of the most underappreciated inventions of the last century,” Mr. Kelly said. “It will go down with radio in the pantheon of great inventions.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/17/s...14280000&en=29db901ce982d83e&ei=5070&emc=eta1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo