Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Steampunk, Dieselpunk, etc.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Heh

Steampunk.

time-traveler.gif

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
CharlesB said:
No idea what this is a bout or based upon but it looks pretty awesome.
It’s based on a role-playing game set in an apocalyptic far future (kind of a poor man’s Warhammer 40K but I still enjoyed it).

Slim Portly

One Too Many
Doran said:
I just a moment ago won these brass goggle-type sunglasses on Ebay, coming all the way from Tibet. They seem Steam Age. I imagine wearing them in a Chinese opium den around 1895.[/IMG]
Very nice. I just grabbed these off the 'bay. Sadly, they were described by the seller as looking like something John Lennon would wear. Oddly, the word steampunk wasn't mentioned anywhere.

They are NOS safety glasses manufactured by Cesco in 1969, with leather nose bridge and side shields. I assume that if they are safety glasses then the lenses must be quite sturdy and possibly with some sort of coating, but after I get them I'll see if I can do some further research.

19500464472.jpg

19500464444.jpg

19500464451.jpg

shortbow

Practically Family
I am consistently amazed at the great information and cool stuff that I've unearthed in the short time that I've been a member here, but by nothing so much as what is discussed/illustrated in this thread. Until today, I'd never heard of this word/mov't/style, most modern stuff is just dreck to me, but this is something that if I were a younger and more technology oriented guy would engage me with vigor. Lots of it is quite Decoish, no? Anyhow, anybody got a link or something to Steampunking a M70 Winchester?

CharlesB

Suspended
My best friend is off to Iraq. In the mean time his fiance and I are looking at 2bedroom lofts in the city and are going to have it all set up for when he returns.

We are thinking of making the living room a steam punked verson of like Sherlock Holmes' study

shortbow

Practically Family
Well Story, I guess great minds think alike. After I posted that, I was up casting flys on my favourite lake and it occurred to me that lots of those early Enfields and other turn of the century guns were in the groove. Ie. Krag, Vetterli, those big British revolvers, early auto pistols etc. Still, as I have this M70 that I recently rebuilt into a carbine, I'm going to keep thinking on the subject and snooping around the Steampunk sites (two million plus when I googled it) and cogitate on what I can do with it. Guess some brass would be a good place to start.... With a cool old single shot, one of those long old time brass scopes would be just the ticket as a jumping off place.

Story

I'll Lock Up
STEAMPOWERED EVENTS, INC. BRINGS THE FIRST EVER STEAMPUNK CONVENTION TO THE SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA

Written by Editor Choice

Sunday, 06 July 2008

Imagine a world where steam power and clockwork mechanisms are the cutting edge of technology. A neo-Victorian setting, with Charles Babbage’s great Engine running calculations, inventors competing to outdo each others’ greatest works and Ferdinand von Zeppelin’s airships flying overhead. SteamPowered Events, Inc. announces Steam Powered: The California Steampunk Convention 2008, October 31st through November 2nd at the gorgeous Domain Hotel in Sunnyvale, California.

The weekend’s activities include the Steampunk Ball, a Victorian fancy-dress ball; a costume competition with cash prizes; steampunk machinery workshops and demonstrations; presentations and panels on both fictional and non-fiction works and applications; and a much-anticipated performance by Abney Park, the #1 Steampunk band in the nation. (((I wonder where the "White Ghost Shivers Band" ranks in this authoritative list.)))

Confirmed appearances include Hieronymus “Jake” Von Slatt, proprietor of the amazing Steampunk Workshop; Ann VanderMeer and Jeff VanderMeer, editors of the new anthology, “Steampunk” and Chris Garcia, Assistant Curator at the Computer History Museum in Mountain View, CA. which is currently hosting a full-scale Babbage Engine.

Theatrical reenactment troupe “La Legion Fantastique” will provide educational and thematic support and in-character encounters with such notables as Captain Nemo, Phileas Fogg, and perhaps even Jules Verne himself.

There will also be a Gamer’s Room, an Art Gallery and a Dealer’s Den with Steampunk-themed clothing, jewelry, books, and all manner of gadgets for sale.

Steampunk is a genre of Fantasy/Science/Speculative fiction that became prominent through the 1980’s and 90’s, and has recently seen a resurgence of interest. Steampunk attempts to re-invent the history of Europe and America, roughly covering the 1830’s through the 1930’s, with a neo-Victorian aesthetic. The “first wave” of Steampunk fiction came from authors such as Jules Verne and H.G. Wells. Greatly influenced by Cyberpunk, the genre grew into a second iteration through such authors as Michael Moorcock, James P. Blaylock, Neal Stephenson and Michael Chabon. The most well known “second generation” Steampunk novel, widely accepted as the epitome of the genre, is “The Difference Engine” by William Gibson and Bruce Sterling.

The California Steampunk Convention is a celebration of all things Steampunk and a chance for fans, authors, inventors and the general public to experience the excitement and the possibilities of an alternate reality. The convention is open to all ages - come join the fun.

Tickets are on sale now at: http://www.steampunkconvention.com

For media information, please contact:

Ariane Wolfe

Event Coordinator

SteamPowered Events, Inc. ariane@steampunkconvention.com

350 Townsend Street #407

San Francisco, CA 94107

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters