Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Steampunk, Dieselpunk, etc.

Story

I'll Lock Up
from 'London on the Cheap', LATimes March 6th

A day in the English city doesn't have to be expensive. Take in a few sights, hoist a pint, go to the cinema, enjoy a 'fry-up.' Spend 24 pounds or less.
By Marc Landas
11:31 AM PST, March 06, 2009
http://travel.latimes.com/articles/la-tr-ultimatelondon8-2009feb08

10 a.m.: It may sound a bit morbid, but a trip to any of London's Magnificent Seven Victorian cemeteries can be uplifting. The architecture and landscaping are stunning, particularly if you're fortunate enough to visit on a misty morning. If you must choose one, Highgate Cemetery (Swain's Lane, Highgate; admission: 3 pounds [$4.30]) represents the best bet with its stunning Lebanon Circle Vaults, Egyptian Avenue and the Terrace Catacombs. It's a great snapshot into the Victorian obsession with occult Egypt.

Wil Tam

Practically Family
I agree

Lareesie Ladavi said:
I find it funny...This steampunk thing isn't anything new, they just slapped a commercial label on it. It's cute, but Old school goths were wearing edwardian with a punk twist, years ago.

yup ... seeing it evolve after an especially good comic-con whereas the ladies & gentlemen had some incredible looking costumes that everyone wanted to emulate and work into their everyday lifestyle ... that started a fashion boon amongst the goth/punk community, soon a lot of the boys & girls wanted to look and dress like their favorite anime character.

I dig it when they start to adapt it making it unique to their personality

----------------
Now playing: Roxy Music - The Bogus Man
via FoxyTunes

CopperNY

A-List Customer
Steampunk can look like crap with gears/goggles on, or something truly interesting.

one of my wife's Livejournal friends just did this amazing (i think) Zouave-inspired outfit:

3355137650_4b59f94cca.jpg

Story

I'll Lock Up
Steampunkish reading

On June 9, 1865, Charles Dickens was on a train with the woman who may have been his paramour and her mother, when it ran off the rails and plunged into an abyss. Dickens was left hanging over the edge, and readers will be as well in this cleverly plotted and cunningly composed novel. Sure, at 784 pages, there are really two or three "normal" books stuffed into this cabinet of wonders. But each of them is a one hell of a gripping tale, and Simmons' architectural skill manages to get all the rooms under one tin-plated, roof replete with chimneys belching smoke into the skies and underground labyrinths that lead straight to hell.

Author Dan Simmon's website
http://www.dansimmons.com/news/news_items.htm

Amazon reviews
http://www.amazon.com/Drood-Novel-Dan-Simmons/dp/0316007021

Tiller

Practically Family
As some have said I don't like the general name Steampunk. Most of the whole punk movement I'm not crazy over. Some of the stories are good, others I think don't have the best of messages, well others still are just preachy.

That said I like Victorian and Edwardian styles, and would enjoy seeing them become mainstream again. Atleast people wouldn't be wearing pajamas out in public lol. Although I don't see it happening, it is a nice dream.

irb

Familiar Face
Tiller said:
As some have said I don't like the general name Steampunk. Most of the whole punk movement I'm not crazy over. Some of the stories are good, others I think don't have the best of messages, well others still are just preachy.

I'd certainly agree with you there. There is a disturbing trend with regards to tacking "-punk" onto the end of nouns to create new genres; I think it misses what punk was.
I'd elaborate but this probably isn't the place for that particular discussion.

Tiller said:
That said I like Victorian and Edwardian styles, and would enjoy seeing them become mainstream again. Atleast people wouldn't be wearing pajamas out in public lol. Although I don't see it happening, it is a nice dream.

For what it's worth I tend to offer the terms 'Neovictorian' or 'Technovictorian' but nobody'll listen to me (and that's usually a good idea. *grin*)

Haversack

One Too Many
"Technovictorian" I'll have to remember that. Its more succinct than the alternative phrase "Gas Lamp Fantasy" favoured by the creators of Girl Genius. I too harbour a distaste for the "-punk" fashion. To me, the phrase conjures up images of soft rotten wood, or underage catamites.

Haversack

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The thing about the genera to me is this abuse of its DIY philosophy.

Let me explain.
I get sick of people deconstructing something, slapping some non working gears on it and calling it 'Steampunk'. If you are to liken it to the era, craftsmen/women were masters in their trade. A watch maker would craft a watch and know its inner workings. A shoe maker, clothes maker and the like. So you wouldnt get this 'home made' look that takes away from the ascetic.

Now Im seeing a lot of advanced hobbyists in a specific field crafting items that look great for the genera, giving it a level of sophistication that I think it lacked.

Yay

LD

Gaige

One of the Regulars
CopperNY said:
Steampunk can look like crap with gears/goggles on, or something truly interesting.

one of my wife's Livejournal friends just did this amazing (i think) Zouave-inspired outfit:

3355137650_4b59f94cca.jpg

She looks great! Very unique... I love it.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Anyone who loves alternative versions of London a la Neil Gaiman or Alan Moore should get their hands on Albertopolis Disparu, a short story available for free at the Science Museum. It's a densely-laden tale of secret machines, converted turrets and tunnels and Edwardian techno-espionage, played out over the rooftops and catacombs of Exhibition Road. Any eight-page story that references Michael Moorcock and ends with a fleet of Zeppelins attacking Imperial College with plasma weapons is a winner with us. You can pick up a copy from the listening post room at the Museum, or download a PDF (we hear rumours that the green cab shelter opposite the V&A also has free copies). The campaign starts here to persuade the author, Tony White, to turn this into a full-length novel.

http://londonist.com/2009/04/weirdly_brilliant_steampunk_thing_a.php

Update on the steampunky MUTANT CHRONICLES movie
http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2009/04/0...flies-high-in-the-mutant-chronicles-dogfight/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0490181/synopsis

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk