Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Steampunk, Dieselpunk, etc.

lord_k

One of the Regulars
Sam Van Olffen Interview

Here's an interview of Sam Van Olffen, a prominent Steampunk / Dieselpunk artist:

I’m more interested in the past as a way to understand the present and how in less than one century we all became “citizens of the age of the ephemera” as Alvin Toffler said pertinently. The lost civilizations, the great conflicts, men, discoveries, etc., whole those new quantic waves that were shaping the face of humanity. Needless to say it was more impressive than… Facebook!

(Jacksondeep.com)

Courtisane.jpg

Sam Van Olffen blog

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Personally, I'm more inclined to think we've just forgotten the ephemera of the earlier times. After all, that's the definition of "ephemeral" isn't it?

Still, eve the ephemera of the earlier time had more style.

-Dave

Here's an interview of Sam Van Olffen, a prominent Steampunk / Dieselpunk artist:

I’m more interested in the past as a way to understand the present and how in less than one century we all became “citizens of the age of the ephemera” as Alvin Toffler said pertinently. The lost civilizations, the great conflicts, men, discoveries, etc., whole those new quantic waves that were shaping the face of humanity. Needless to say it was more impressive than… Facebook!

(Jacksondeep.com)

Courtisane.jpg

Sam Van Olffen blog

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I found out about this on Sunday by reading about it in the paper. I didn't have time to go anyway, but little or no advertising.

http://www.kansas.com/2010/11/13/1587714/steampunk-fans-descend-on-old.html

Men traded in their cowboy hats for brass-framed goggles Saturday at Old Cowtown Museum, which for a day transformed into a world powered by steam.

The Emerald City Steampunk Expo was a one-day festival put on by Wolfmoon Productions, a scaled-down version of a three-day event planned for next year.

Steampunk is a growing movement that draws on science fiction and an alternate take on Victorian times, where flying ships and time machines exist.

The re-imagined late 1800s is technologically advanced, but everything is powered by steam, hydraulics, gears and cogs.

Saturday’s event was Wichita’s first steampunk convention. The Emerald City Steampunk Expo was originally planned to be three days and take place at Cowtown and the Hyatt Regency Wichita, but was scaled down to one day at Cowtown, said Randy Stuhlsatz of Wolfmoon Productions.

The steampunk movement started decades ago, but “it’s just now, forgive the pun, picking up steam,” Stuhlsatz said.

Steampunk enthusiasts dress in elaborate costumes featuring goggles, jewelry fashioned from watch parts and cogs and gears, and structured garments such as corsets.

It’s sort of Renaissance Faire-meets-“Mad Max.”

Michelle Grantz said she was drawn to the subculture because of the costumes. The Wichita resident said she’s a costume designer who finds steampunk “playing on my love of history, really.”

In this world, technology is advanced but not in the ways to which we are accustomed. There are computers, yes, but they run on 1800s technology.

Cowtown described the cornerstone of the steampunk movement as “taking modern inventions — the Internet, weaponry, clocks — and re-imagining how they would look had they been created with Victorian technology and materials.”

Grantz’s father, Ron Parker, also attended Saturday’ s event. He volunteers at Cowtown and donned goggles and pins made of gears to support his daughter’s interests, as well as Cowtown.

“Anything that helps the museum,” he said.

Teddie Barlow, assistant curator for Cowtown, said as many as 600 people might have stopped by during the day.

“It’s a perfect venue” for a steampunk convention, Barlow said of the museum, which gives visitors a peek at life in the 1870s.

Barlow noted that the convention was the first in the steampunk movement held at a venue such as Cowtown. The conventions typically are held at hotels.

Next year’s Emerald City Steampunk Expo is set for Nov. 4 to 6. Events on Nov. 4 will be at Cowtown, and events Nov. 5 and 6 are scheduled to be at the Hyatt.

Another one-day event is being considered for March, Stuhlsatz said.

Reach Deb Gruver at 316-268-6400 or dgruver@wichitaeagle.com.

Read more: http://www.kansas.com/2010/11/13/1587714/steampunk-fans-descend-on-old.html#ixzz15SQkLnrN

http://www.oldcowtown.org/

Later

CharlieB

A-List Customer
Steampunk is one type of retro-futurism "the future as seen from the past, or the past as seen from the future"

The other major flavor, that is probably a better fit with this forum is called "Ray-gun gothic". Think "the Rocketeer" or "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow". The Golden Era equivalent.

I love this quote (attributed to many people)

"The future isn't what it used to be".

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
MikBravo's description of Dieselpunk is very good. Ray-gun Gothic is more Art-Deco/Streamline Moderne, much cleaner, typically, in looks. Think Forbidden Planet instead of Mad Max.

In my opinion....both of these ideas are still dieselpunk. Just different asthetic manifestations of it.

Dieselpunk is in a simple way, the retro-future powered not by steam but diesel. It's one click of time -forward- from steampunk, where the powering force is steam.

Just like steampunk has a whole slew of different visual manifestations (cowboywestern, airship piraty, nemo and the nautillus, etc...) so too can dieselpunk have many different visual looks with one underlying force, the diesel.

Unless you verge into a totally different -overriding- force for a particular pseudo-time, then its still dieselpunk..

I like to think that someone out there could well be doing nuclear-retro-future stuff....and -that- would be different.

People get caught up in categorizing the visuals, and forgetting that there is an underlying force that helps determine what is -possible- for any particular scenario.

CharlieB

A-List Customer
In my opinion....both of these ideas are still dieselpunk. Just different asthetic manifestations of it.

Dieselpunk is in a simple way, the retro-future powered not by steam but diesel. It's one click of time -forward- from steampunk, where the powering force is steam.

Just like steampunk has a whole slew of different visual manifestations (cowboywestern, airship piraty, nemo and the nautillus, etc...) so too can dieselpunk have many different visual looks with one underlying force, the diesel.

Unless you verge into a totally different -overriding- force for a particular pseudo-time, then its still dieselpunk..

I like to think that someone out there could well be doing nuclear-retro-future stuff....and -that- would be different.

People get caught up in categorizing the visuals, and forgetting that there is an underlying force that helps determine what is -possible- for any particular scenario.

If you read my original post, that is precisely the point I was making. All are retro-future, i.e., "the past as seen from the future, or the future as seen form the past". One is in the Victorian era, one the Gold Era, and one in the imagined future. Then names simply signify the look of a particular period in time.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
If you read my original post, that is precisely the point I was making. All are retro-future, i.e., "the past as seen from the future, or the future as seen form the past". One is in the Victorian era, one the Gold Era, and one in the imagined future. Then names simply signify the look of a particular period in time.

yes...thats the difference between steam and diesel.

But you were differentiating between raygun gothic..etc....and to me..those are still dieselpunk...not some other seperate thing. Those are visual manifestations of -dieselpunk-....

CharlieB

A-List Customer
yes...thats the difference between steam and diesel.

But you were differentiating between raygun gothic..etc....and to me..those are still dieselpunk...not some other seperate thing. Those are visual manifestations of -dieselpunk-....

Either way, here is a site that has a lot of good ray-gun gothic imagery.

http://shop.webomator.com/retropolis.shtml

Last edited:

$ally

One Too Many
I am cast in a western fantasy series named Western X that will air Dec 9th on KoldCastTV.com
It isn't steampunk, but this seemed like the place to post. I appear briefly in episode 6 as Rose Woode.

$ally

One Too Many
Western X will premiere episodes 1-3 beginning Thurs Dec 9th. You can watch the series online via the website or through KoldCastTV.com at any time after Dec 9th.
http://westernxtheshow.com/
Approximate runtime is 30 minutes. Be warned, this web series is NOT intended for children.

Last edited:

JAZZmann

New in Town
I've heard of steam and dieselpunk. I found the FL by following links from dieselpunk sites. I can't find very much on atompunk type subculture. Anyone have any connections/links?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ