Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Steampunk, Dieselpunk, etc.

Shearer

Practically Family
RE: the Dalek
I saw some Dalek cuff links somewhere on the internet yesterday. I want to say BoingBoing or Neatorama... perfect gift for the geeky Fedora Lounger!

imoldfashioned: the monogoggle you posted a while back - that's Alex CF, isn't it? How I want one of his "kits." He's got a Frankenstein kit for sale on eBay... I think the auction is still up. Pity I can't post the link here, but I think it pops up with a simple "steampunk" search.

Anyway, back to topic: I just got these boots for my Dances of Vice/Halloween costume. I'm in love with them!

boots2.jpg

Shearer

Practically Family
If it all comes together, an Aviatrix (or Aviatress, or Aviator-ette as I like to say ;) )

And if it doesn't all come together, I might have to borrow an Ike jacket for DoV :confused:

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Starius said:
A friend of mine asked me the other day to make him a steampunkish looking spotlight in photoshop for a project of his. I don't know if this is anything like what he had in mind, or of its all that steampunk-like, but this is what I have so far:
Spotlight-preview.jpg

I'm still gonna play around with it more, add more details. Maybe some kind of pipe tubing or something.
Starius! So what did the final product look like???

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Shearer, it was Alex CF; I love everything he does. Also, are those fabulous boots the pair made by Mudd? I tried those on but they didn't fit my @#(!^ calves (as is, sadly, usual). Whatever brand they are they look great!

I can't tell you how desparate I am to go to that DOV party--it looks so cool and they're going to have a paper moon (where the heck do you see that, I ask you?)! I just got a killer steampunkish suede coat that would be perfect to wear too. But I'm kicking off a crazy spate of travel with a trip to NYC on 10/23, so I just don't think I can make another trip on 10/20. Please give a full report (with pictures!).

Story, that riot wheel is amazing. I'd love to commute in that!

Starius

Practically Family
dhermann1 said:
Starius! So what did the final product look like???

I've made some modifications and changes since that version, but admittedly haven't finished it yet, I think. I haven't talked to my friend who requested it as much lately... I should get back on that.

Shearer

Practically Family
imoldfashioned said:
Shearer, it was Alex CF; I love everything he does. Also, are those fabulous boots the pair made by Mudd? I tried those on but they didn't fit my @#(!^ calves (as is, sadly, usual). Whatever brand they are they look great!

I can't tell you how desparate I am to go to that DOV party--it looks so cool and they're going to have a paper moon (where the heck do you see that, I ask you?)! I just got a killer steampunkish suede coat that would be perfect to wear too. But I'm kicking off a crazy spate of travel with a trip to NYC on 10/23, so I just don't think I can make another trip on 10/20. Please give a full report (with pictures!).

Story, that riot wheel is amazing. I'd love to commute in that!

They're actually Rockports, which is great because it means I won't be wrecking my feet per usual with inappropriate shoes! I saw the pair made by Mudd (that I think you posted?) a few pages back... they would have been PERFECT! And about half of what I paid for my boots :rolleyes: But I'm happy as I can wear these out and about all the time, and I feel I got my money's worth.

Please post a picture of your coat if you can! I'd love to see it... I went through a lot of grief finding a coat for my costume and am still not 100% happy with what I've got, but I'm out of money and time to get anything else.

It's too bad you can't make it to DoV this time around, but perhaps we can meet up in the future - and find a photo studio with a paper moon! :D

Oh, and I hear you about Alex CF. He has some verrrry interesting Alice in Wonderland prints for sale on his site.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Shearer said:
Oh, and I hear you about Alex CF. He has some verrrry interesting Alice in Wonderland prints for sale on his site.

I had to go check his deviantart page - Carroll meets Lovecraft, all the way.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Shearer said:
They're actually Rockports,

Please post a picture of your coat if you can! I'd love to see it...

Rockports are even better--the Mudds looked good but they weren't the best quality. I've got a pair of Rockport shoes that are over a decade old and still as good as new.

I'll try to get a picture of the coat tonight--I got it for nothing at some cheezy outlet store that a friend dragged me into when I was in Maine--I didn't expect to find anything of interest but there was my coat. It is sage green suede with whipstitch details and frog closures. I'm planning to add some touches of my own too, after I can stop sewing for the QM event that is. I'm really happy with it. I've got my eye on a leather flight helmet to go with it--hopefully someone will take the hint and get it for me for Christmas.

Alex's Alice pictures are completely bizarre--I love them. The guy sure has an imagination. DeviantArt is one of my favorite sites, I get lost in there on a regular basis.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Boy, do I need to replace lightbulbs in my place! I could barely find a spot with decent lighting and now that the sun is setting at 6:45 forget about natural light. Hopefully you'll be able to get some idea of what this looks like in spite these really lousy photos!

I'll take some pictures me in the thing next time I wear it; I am not fit for human consumption this evening.

spcoat.jpg

The front of the coat--it's green suede with hand warmer pockets and cotton "shearling" lining that shows on the collar and when you roll up the sleeves. Seaming at the waist and along modified princess lines that has whipstitching detail. I love how wide the "shearling" collar is--it feels very luxurious.

spback.jpg

The back, showing the princess seaming with the whipstitch detail.

spdetail.jpg

Closeup of the whipstitching, snap and frogs. This photo is closest to the actual color of the garment--really more of a moss green than a sage green; it also came in brown.

spcollarup.jpg

Collar up! I had to lighten this photo considerably to show any detail at all.

With multiple discounts I paid about $35 for this coat.

Eventually, I'd like to add a throat tab, some brass accessories, maybe replace the fastener part of the frog closure with some funky metal pieces? Like I said, I'll play when my creative mind isn't clogged with QM projects.

Shearer

Practically Family
imoldfashioned said:
Boy, do I need to replace lightbulbs in my place! I could barely find a spot with decent lighting and now that the sun is setting at 6:45 forget about natural light. Hopefully you'll be able to get some idea of what this looks like in spite these really lousy photos!

I'll take some pictures me in the thing next time I wear it; I am not fit for human consumption this evening.

The front of the coat--it's green suede with hand warmer pockets and cotton "shearling" lining that shows on the collar and when you roll up the sleeves. Seaming at the waist and along modified princess lines that has whipstitching detail. I love how wide the "shearling" collar is--it feels very luxurious.

The back, showing the princess seaming with the whipstitch detail.

Closeup of the whipstitching, snap and frogs. This photo is closest to the actual color of the garment--really more of a moss green than a sage green; it also came in brown.

Collar up! I had to lighten this photo considerably to show any detail at all.

With multiple discounts I paid about $35 for this coat.

Eventually, I'd like to add a throat tab, some brass accessories, maybe replace the fastener part of the frog closure with some funky metal pieces? Like I said, I'll play when my creative mind isn't clogged with QM projects.

I really love the green colour of that coat, and I think it would look superb with some metal doodads on it. Part of the reason I like steampunk so much is poring over all the DIY gadgets and clothing of the genre.

I can't sew a lick, and it never even occurred to me to just add things :eusa_doh: Thanks for the idea! I just bought a 3/4 length skirted pea coat and now I'm thinking it might not look so bad with some brass collar tabs. Hmmm... hmmm...

Shearer

Practically Family
Diamondback said:
Ummm, Miss Shearer, once it's all together and on you are gonna get pics for us loser geeks to drool over--er, I mean "us gentlemen of the Lounge to admire", right?;) :D

I am sure there will be a wide array of embarrassing/unflattering/startling pictures to choose from! :p

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Diamondback said:
Ummm, Miss Shearer, once it's all together and on you are gonna get pics for us loser geeks to drool over--er, I mean "us gentlemen of the Lounge to admire", right?;) :D

Dont worry, I'll be sure to get some good pix of us together.
Should I put them on ebay or start my own Shearer-cam website with a paypal option?

Shearer

Practically Family
MrBern said:
Dont worry, I'll be sure to get some good pix of us together.
Should I put them on ebay or start my own Shearer-cam website with a paypal option?

:eek: :eek: :eek:

(We can go halvsies on the profits, right? Hey, a girl's gotta earn money for new saddle shoes somehow.)

Camille

Familiar Face
I played around some with steampunk way back when I was in the electronica/EBM-scene. In Sweden (and northern Europe, I think) it's rather different from the rest of the world. Lots of uniforms and flirting with steampunk and militaria.

For those of you that's computer-geeks, I really recommend a rather old game called Arcanum. The steampunk-setting is just so amazing!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcanum:_Of_Steamworks_and_Magick_Obscura

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo