Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Steampunk, Dieselpunk, etc.

staggerwing

One of the Regulars
A. G. Geiger said:
The audio equipment that my company manufactures is not quite steampunk. It is more 1936 futuristic. Here's some pictures:
masteringcompressorhc5.jpg

gama34light.jpg

mco2.jpg

I don't even know what these do, but I want them!

Edward

Bartender
LocktownDog said:
Love that keyboard! Would like to see someone come up with a laptop that resembles an old portable typewriter.

Hells, yes. it's gorgeous. a laptop in that style would be stunning. I would be happy to live with a little added bulk for the sake of the design, though I can see the danger being that it would be overly expensive to get it made... unless they were able to produce it in a way that you could buy it once and it was upgradeable (laptops typically aren't IME).

ETA: I love the audio equipment above.... so much classier than a contemporary look (which will date badly too).

Matt Noir

One of the Regulars
panamag8or said:
Here is a link to a FL thread, including an appearance by the fellow that created the keyboard. You should see some of his other creations! It also features some cool deco-inspired computer components.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=15102

I am fairly certain the person that made those deco PC's (SlipperySkip) is not the person who made the Steampunk Keyboard on the Steampunk Workshop site.

Regards,

Matt

Story

I'll Lock Up
check out SPACE 1889

http://www.heliograph.com/space1889/

Lester Dent's Zeppelin Tales Now Available!
Lester Dent's Zeppelin Tales Cover Lester Dent penned many pulp adventures before he created Doc Savage in 1933 under the house name Kenneth Robeson. Lester Dent's Zeppelin Tales collects five airship-themed stories published from 1930 to 1932, and includes material restored from Dent's original manuscripts!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I saw a piece on one of the historical channels about the fire brigade in ancient Rome. They had 7 to 8,000 slaves who became free after 7 years as firefighters. They were well trained and had manual pumps that could send water as high as a 6 story building, which is what Rome mainly consisted of. The point being, in every age people have had a lot more technical ingenuity that we ever give them credit for. So how about Rome-punk? Or Egypt-punk? Or even Upper-Paleolithic-punk?

Starius

Practically Family
A friend of mine asked me the other day to make him a steampunkish looking spotlight in photoshop for a project of his. I don't know if this is anything like what he had in mind, or of its all that steampunk-like, but this is what I have so far:

Spotlight-preview.jpg

I'm still gonna play around with it more, add more details. Maybe some kind of pipe tubing or something.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Story said:
http://www.heliograph.com/space1889/

Lester Dent's Zeppelin Tales Now Available!
Lester Dent's Zeppelin Tales Cover Lester Dent penned many pulp adventures before he created Doc Savage in 1933 under the house name Kenneth Robeson. Lester Dent's Zeppelin Tales collects five airship-themed stories published from 1930 to 1932, and includes material restored from Dent's original manuscripts!

Wonderful news! Thanks for posting this!

Richard

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Starius said:
A friend of mine asked me the other day to make him a steampunkish looking spotlight in photoshop for a project of his. I don't know if this is anything like what he had in mind, or of its all that steampunk-like, but this is what I have so far:

Spotlight-preview.jpg

I'm still gonna play around with it more, add more details. Maybe some kind of pipe tubing or something.
Try looking at the early arc light street lights in London from about 1851. They were about 40 or 50 feet in the air. The arc is so powerful it would blind anybody any closer. It was a clever idea that was a little ahead of its time.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arc_lamp
http://www.acmi.net.au/AIC/MAGIC_LANTERNS.html
Basically, I think what you're trying to pre-invent was already pretty well invented by the time you're setting it in. But don't let that get in your way!

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Ok, I've seen Steampunk fashion & movies. We all have. But when did the termcome into play?
"Cyberpunk" was around in the `80s w/ th WilliamGibsonNovels. When was "steampunk" first coined?

btw, heres one of my favorites

chitty_wings.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Chitty I'd never have thought of, but yes I can see it coming within the steampunk genre. (Oh, now there's a mental image I didn't need - Dick Van Dyke in Westwood bondage trousers :eek: ).

Salv

One Too Many
MrBern said:
Ok, I've seen Steampunk fashion & movies. We all have. But when did the termcome into play?
"Cyberpunk" was around in the `80s w/ th WilliamGibsonNovels. When was "steampunk" first coined?

The term "Steampunk" seems to have been coined by K W Jeter in the late 80s, to describe his "gonzo-historical" books, and those of Tim Powers and James Blaylock, from the late 70s and 80s. That's according to the wiki anyway http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk#Origin

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Edward said:
Chitty I'd never have thought of, but yes I can see it coming within the steampunk genre. (Oh, now there's a mental image I didn't need - Dick Van Dyke in Westwood bondage trousers :eek: ).

Did you ever see that photo in Vanity Fair of Dick Van Dyke and Mary Tyler Moore in leather bondage gear? I couldn't find a copy online--interesting idea but, ultimately, just...wrong!

Edward

Bartender
imoldfashioned said:
Did you ever see that photo in Vanity Fair of Dick Van Dyke and Mary Tyler Moore in leather bondage gear? I couldn't find a copy online--interesting idea but, ultimately, just...wrong!

Arrgghh! There is something more disturbing than Dick Van Dyke's cockernee accent! :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy