Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sterkowski hats...opinions/experiences wanted please

g.durand

One Too Many

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Richard--I was looking at these last night myself. A quick search of thread titles here turned up nothing. At that price I think it would be worth a try. It might well make a good beater.

I might try and drop them a line, and see if they do navy ones (blue is a big gap in my collection). At that price the only competion is the Tonaks from the HatCentre.

eirikp

New in Town
A question: I am researching to buy my first hat, and I came across a brand called Sterkowski. The hats are made from rabbit felt, but they are significantly cheaper than fur felt hats from the well known brands. What are your views regarding the quality of the Sterkowski hats? And if interior, why?

Mickey85

New in Town
Any experience with Sterkowski?

Hi guys,

I've been perusing ebay for a new hat, and stumbled upon sterkowski hats. Doing a google search of the forums, I didn't come up with much. I've noticed that most of their hats are wool, and I already have more than enough of those, but am wanting an every day felt hat to complement my stetson (Saxon) that, for sentimental reasons, isn't about to be a daily hat. I found a few of the sterkowskis that say they are 100% rabbit felt, or rabbit wool felt (whatever that means), and was wondering if anyone had experience with them. Are they legitimately felt, or are they some kind of wool?

Daz

New in Town
Hi all,

I thought I'd jump straight in as a new member and seek some advice regarding my potential purchase of a Sterkowski. I was hoping that someone may have bought one of these and would be able to advise me of the general quality/feel/fit etc. The hat I'm thinking about buying is made of Rabbit felt, is a fedora with the following spec: Brim size: 6 cm / 2.4 inch, Crown height: 12.5 cm / 4.9 inch and is apparently handmade. Seems a lot of hat for the money, though if they are any good I will be keeping that info "under my hat".

Terry "The Hat"

Practically Family
I've been noticing them a lot on Ebay too and wondered what quality they were. I'm more into the proven classic hats and don't hardly ever order anything new anymore except for my Akubras which are still a great deal and great quality.

Never heard of 'em before now. Went to their website. Fifty-five bucks for a rabbit fur hat is hard to beat. It has a leather sweat (rare at that price) and looks like a good hat for the money, although if you find yourself developing anything approaching the levels of obsession you'll find among the people here, you'll begin noticing the ways in which it doesn't measure up.

It is undoubtedly a much better value than what is being sold at a fairly new chain of hat stores here in the states, which is a cheap wool hat priced at more than double that Sterkowski.

ingineer

One Too Many
I have a wool cap made by him, seems to be of high quality,warm,just not my style.
For a first hat, probably a decent choice at that price.
cap was Despatched quickly.
next fur Went with a new Akubra instead
Note that he is also on Etsy as well.
Please do let us know if you receive one, that is what this forum is for.

Richard

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I recently got a flat cap (tweed) made by them, and it's very high quality. i'd buy from them again, in a heartbeat.

fedoracentric

Banned
I am glad to see this company making moderate priced fur felt hats. Just as we need those companies that make the best of the best, we also need lower price point fur felts so that others who aren't will to pay out $200 or more can get the bug.

Daz

New in Town
I am glad to see this company making moderate priced fur felt hats. Just as we need those companies that make the best of the best, we also need lower price point fur felts so that others who aren't will to pay out $200 or more can get the bug.

I agree wholeheartedly. I'm thinking for the money it's worth taking a gamble and ordering one.

Lt.hats

A-List Customer
Daz, Ditto to Richard's comment, please and thank you for a review if you purchase one. I have also been eyeing the Sterkowski fedoras for the past few weeks. They look too good for the price, but their reviews on ebay are pretty positive. They seem to sell a wide range of hat types, and they are now on Amazon as well. (but with no reviews yet.) I'm definitely thinking of buying the grey fedora and will post a review if (when) I get one.

Lt.hats

A-List Customer
:). I couldn't help myself, I just placed my order for the Sterkowski fedora in gray from eBay. I'll post a full review and photos when it arrives. FYI, the price has gone up about ten dollars in the last two weeks.

Metatron

One Too Many
They are an old company with a rather nice story:
''Our company was founded in 1924 by anna sterkowska. It worked for 15 years. Small manufacture was ruined during the war. Founder of new manufacture, working under same name was zygmunt sterkowski, anna's son. Coming back from captivity in Germany he found a sewing machine in a ditch near the road. In a ruined warsaw, such a machine was a real treasure. It allowed to establish first a small manufacture, than a big factory. Through years of incessant work and it's better and worse days this manufacture was shrinking and growing till today. All founder family members working in the manufacture as well as employees have passed tests for master/apprentice craftsmanship papers in polish craftsmans guild (they still exist in poland).''

I recently got a flat cap (tweed) made by them, and it's very high quality. i'd buy from them again, in a heartbeat.

Could you post a picture? I like the look of their products but there aren't many pics of them being worn, which is the defining factor of course...

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I see that most of their nicer hats don't go larger than 7 5/8. We Martians are beginning to feel discriminated against.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112