Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson 3X Longhair Dress hat - 1920s?

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
rlk said:
Is there a line of stitching near the edge of the raw brim?

No stitching - it looks that way in the pic, but there's nothing there.

mayserwegener said:
This one?

4288560791_986f1f5370_o.jpg

Yes, that's it. Very weird hat - is that a woman?

M_Jones

One of the Regulars
Oh man, Scott, I have been waiting for this thread! :D

:eusa_clap :eek: :eusa_clap :eek: :eusa_clap :eek: :eusa_clap

That hat is beautiful, wear it in health, but please, wear the thing. It is too nice to sit on a shelf or in a box. I am glad that the size worked out for you-nice gamble.

Regards,
Hollis

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
M_Jones said:
...That hat is beautiful, wear it in health, but please, wear the thing. It is too nice to sit on a shelf or in a box. I am glad that the size worked out for you-nice gamble.

Regards,
Hollis

Thanks Hollis - I wear all of my hats publicly, except the Tom Horn Stetson which is worn only at home in my boxers while reading.

Thanks jtl. I think a bunch of us spotted it, but the incorrect size (56cm) kept it down to a mere $196 :eusa_doh: Hopefully more of these will show up for others - I promise to stay away from the long-hairs for a while.

ScottF said:
Yes, that's it. Very weird hat - is that a woman?

Looks like a man to me (suite, hair cut, event, surrounded by other men). The felt finish appears to be a very plush black velour. The brim flange is pretty extreme and snapped down. Would be interesting to see what it looked like with a open crown.

M_Jones

One of the Regulars
ScottF said:
...I think a bunch of us spotted it, but the incorrect size (56cm) kept it down to a mere $196 :eusa_doh:...

Now who in their right mind would be willing to drive up the price that high for a 56cm hat that is fuzzy, and old, and in great shape.....:whistling

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
As requested, resurrecting this for input from pre-1940 fedora enthusiasts' thoughts.

Does anyone else have examples of pre-1940 Stetson 3X fedoras? (sweatband/liner logos similar to this one, as opposed to the round ones)

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
As requested, resurrecting this for input from pre-1940 fedora enthusiasts' thoughts.

Does anyone else have examples of pre-1940 Stetson 3X fedoras? (sweatband/liner logos similar to this one, as opposed to the round ones)

I guess this is an area that will evolve slowly, based upon any discoveries that Loungers make regarding some fairly rare hats.

With regard to the particular logo in question, my working hypothesis is that, at some point, it was dropped by Stetson in favor of the "medallion" style logo throughout the 40's and 50's (at least, as far as dress hats were concerned). I believe that the rectangular 3X logo resurfaced in the 60's -- but, to the best of my knowledge, its use was in conjunction with western-style hats (I include The Open Road in this category), and not dress hats (but, I guess we'll have to put this to the test).

Gotta say, Scott -- that 3X of yours is an absolutely incredible find. Congrats!

Cheers,
JtL

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
jimmy the lid said:
I guess this is an area that will evolve slowly, based upon any discoveries that Loungers make regarding some fairly rare hats.

With regard to the particular logo in question, my working hypothesis is that, at some point, it was dropped by Stetson in favor of the "medallion" style logo throughout the 40's and 50's (at least, as far as dress hats were concerned). I believe that the rectangular 3X logo resurfaced in the 60's -- but, to the best of my knowledge, its use was in conjunction with western-style hats (I include The Open Road in this category), and not dress hats (but, I guess we'll have to put this to the test).

Gotta say, Scott -- that 3X of yours is an absolutely incredible find. Congrats!

Cheers,
JtL

Thanks Jimmy. I agree, but it's interesting that we don't see the 'pre-medallion' rectangular logos often; in fact, I can't remember seeing any, even in western Stetsons. I would love to find when that transition to the medallion style took place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24