Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Beaver 100 7 3/8

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
It doesn't get any better than this 1960s Stetson Beaver 100. Like the 7X Clear Beaver, this hat is made of 100% beaver. Unlike the 7XCB, this one was Stetson's most expensive, regular production hat - its name was its price. Only the most skilled and experienced hatters at Stetson were permitted to work on the 100s. This is Open Road styling in the best, regular production hat Stetson ever offered. (They offered some special, limited run hats for celebrities, baseball players, and the like.)

Based upon the 1964 figures at thepeoplehistory.com $100 was a sizable chunk of change. Here's an excerpt:

How Much things cost in 1964
Average Cost of new house $13,050.00
Average Income per year $6,000.00
Gas per Gallon 30 cents
Average Cost of a new car $3,500.00
Loaf of bread 21 cents
United States Postage Stamp 5 cents
Average Monthly Rent $115.00
Ticket to the movies $1.25

So, think about this hat as one month's rent payment, and consider that the price at which this one is listed is probably half -or less- of that. Then consider when you're going to see another one of these in this large size.

Let's talk about felt. The felt is tied with my 7XCB as the smoothest I've ever touched. To me, it feels warm to the touch. That's right, this hat gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling. If I could fit my 7 1/2 head comfortably into this 7 3/8 hat, you'd get to keep all of your rent. Unfortunately, it's just too snug for me.

The felt is in great condition. There are some different colored hairs in there, which tends to happen with un-dyed felt. It's not a defect, it's the nature of, well, nature.

There are a few small marks on the liner, probably from a long lost sweat guard behind the sweatband. The marks can be seen in the photos.

The sweat is supple, and easily flipped out without incident.

The brim is 2 3/4" and the crown is right about 5 1/2".

THIS LISTING DOES NOT INCLUDE A HAT BOX OR CASE.
The hat will be shipped in a cardboard box, wrapped well.

DSC_0017-2.jpg

DSC_0012-3.jpg

DSC_0013-1.jpg

DSC_0016-2.jpg

DSC_0015-1.jpg

DSC_0006-3.jpg

I removed the feather and pin, but they ARE included with the hat. After this photo was taken, I steamed the ribbon to shape it to the hat.
DSC_0019.jpg

Here's what I learned about the shop where this one was sold:

I know what you mean. I have been jonesin' bad for a Stetson OR from the Morris Menswear store in the lobby of the Chicago Union Stockyard Inn. That's where, from 1865 on, having sold their herd the Texas cattle Tycoons flush w/ $$$, would get themselves new togs, hat included.

DSC_0014-1.jpg

$325 plus shipping.

I'll ship anywhere in the world.

PM with interest or questions.

Last edited:

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Moan...

Oh man, Cowboy, yer' killing me! I am guessing being a Lefty doesn't preclude a healthy profit margin, eh? ;)

No appy-polly-loggies required, that is worth every cent yer' asking. I only wish I were worth as much! Would you consider trade(s) or just greenback dollah' on the barrel head?

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Remember, the lady who sold it to me got it at a garage sale for $5. Percentage wise, she marked it up far more. ;)

Trades would be really limited, as I'm not looking for much. Feel free to PM me with a trade offer, as long as it's in a 7 1/2 or bigger. There's no harm in trying.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Price drop!

special-sale.jpg

$285 + shipping = right about $300 for a US buyer

Again, I'll ship anywhere.

ideaguy

One Too Many
Is the hat a Long Oval or Regular? And how stiff/soft is the body of the hat? I've found the best quality felts to have a bit of sizing in them- and I'd like a softer, easily formed crease/brim...very interested in the hat.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
What are you going to do with that leather case?

I'm tired of juggling oranges, and it seems like a challenge. ;)
Who couldn't use another hat box. One of my less stately hats will feel like a lottery winner in a 100 case.

Is the hat a Long Oval or Regular? And how stiff/soft is the body of the hat? I've found the best quality felts to have a bit of sizing in them- and I'd like a softer, easily formed crease/brim...very interested in the hat.

There's no indication that it's anything other than a regular oval.
As to stiffness, here's what I wrote in another thread:
In terms of the hand of the felt, it's identical to my 7X Clear Beaver. I had my wife feel the 25, CB, and 100, and she had the same opinion I did - the 25 was obviously different, but the other two were indistinguishable. Stiffness is a different story. While this one isn't as stiff as the only other 100 I've handled (I think that one was petrified) pushing the cattleman's crease out caused a few loud pops, whereas the CB is like clay.

I've never had much luck shaping the brim of an OR, regardless of the quality level. In my experience, OR brims are stiff. When I want a floppy brim, I wear a Borsalino.

Canadian Cowboy

One of the Regulars
Not abuse,Every good hat should be with its mate in the matching case as you do have it complete.
As I said I may be interested as a set.
What is the true inside circumference?
B.R.,C.C.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran