Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson chatham help!!

1930_Italian

New in Town
Hey all,
I jsut bought a brand new Stetson Chatham in Grey. It is a beautiful hat, but after I handled it, my finger tips were covered in a dark gray film. I then took a white cloth, and rubbed down the hat...and the cloth is grey.

It doesent seem to have effected the color of the hat itself...is this just becasue the hat is new?? Should I be concerned about getting the hat wet? Any help would be appreciated.

Semper Fi,
Joe

fallbackdown82

New in Town
I wouldn't sweat it. I have the same hat, it never seems to have any issues when it gets wet, and I have gotten it soaked. I haven't notice any change in its color. I hear Stetsons can taper a bit after time, however I like my Chatham more and more as I wear it.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
It's my understanding that there was a period recently where Stetsons were powder dyed. My Stetson Temple also had this problem. I've since given it a coat of water repellent and that seems to have helped the problem.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Over half a year of constant rain exposures mine has slightly changed its colour. By slight I mean it's still the same shade of grey but when comparing it to a brand new hat you can notice that it has a mottled colour. The powder used in the dye is used to even out the colour, hence it may over time become slightly mottled.

Mine has certainly survived a lot of rain over the past year and survived it all very nicely. The brim needs flanging now, however my Chatham currently sits in my wardrobe since having been usurped by my Federation (for aesthetic and durability reasons).

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Joe,
If you don't already own one (or more), you need a hat brush. IMHO if you brush it a bit, you'd probably get any "loose" dyed fibers will to either float away or brush them tighter into the hat, a win/win.
I have a brush for dark hats and another for light hats. Remember to brush counter clockwise on the top, and the reverse on the under side of the brim.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner