Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Dune Western Adventure Fedora, 7 1/2 Indiana Jones NIB

Flick

Practically Family
You'd be hard pressed to find beaver fur in a 4X Stetson these days...

So when Stetson states on the sweat that the XXXX is authentic, Xs traditionally meaning beaver content, that's a lie?

P1010404.jpg

So when Stetson states on the sweat that the XXXX is authentic, Xs traditionally meaning beaver content, that's a lie?

Please show me any documented evidence that since the 1980's whoever made Stetson hats definitively stated an X means beaver content, especially when lately a 2X is 100% wool. I have a few Gun Club models & would not claim any contained beaver. All marked 4X.
4X is about the lowest rating in Stetson Western. Not sure you'd see beaver in a 6X. Bunny & Hare fur is good bet...

Flick

Practically Family
Please show me any documented evidence that since the 1980's whoever made Stetson hats definitively stated an X means beaver content, especially when lately a 2X is 100% wool. I have a few Gun Club models & would not claim any contained beaver. All marked 4X.
4X is about the lowest rating in Stetson Western. Not sure you'd see beaver in a 6X. Bunny & Hare fur is good bet...

I agree with you. As you state, there certainly is no evidence of beaver in the hats that the Stetson corporation states have beaver content within. But that leads me to the conclusion that the Stetson corporation is deliberately lying to us in order to reap our business, trading on it's (formerly) good name and reputation, but creating inferior products. Not that I believe a well constructed bunny hat is inferior, witness Akubra. But the stating of Beaver content, a superior material, while not including it, is lying. Of course, the recognition of this then leads us into current economics which leads to current politics, the avoiding of is sancrosynct at the FL.

Now when an individual does it, as say, a mention of Indiana Jones in the hopes of increasing interest in his sale, somewhat as the corporation does deliberately with its allegation of beaver content, even if inadvertent by the individual, a 'trial' is initiated by the local fedora bureau of investigation, although I understand that the corporate behavior is on trial as well, as obviously referenced by the above thread by gtdean48.

Note, please that I'm not complaining about this, in fact, I am grateful for the help in defining the objects that I am selling. And I love the dreamy atmosphere of yesteryear created by FL, despite my belief and concerns that it no longer reflects the truth of what we live in todays world regarding the above referenced problems between corporate personhood and the real live person.

He's teasing....lol!

Thank you for your intercession, but I don't believe he is teasing. I do believe he is trying to be helpful, mainly in the interest of the FL, but also of the correct usage of the FL by members, specifically within the classified section.

Last edited:
They let you think X means what you chose for it to mean but never reveal what it actually means.
Not a lie technically. It is a quality rating system. So 4X is less than 6X so 6X will cost more.
X rating on wool hats, X rating on straw hats,... Plenty on the subject here in the Lounge....

Flick

Practically Family
Yeah, the current trend of X rating on wool hats just grates me the wrong way. Just think, 70 years ago they would have hysterically laughed at the reference of a 'Premium XX Wool Fedora'.

And yes I realize I am preaching to the choir.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
I would say that gtdean48 knows more about any hats then what I do. It does make sense however that some of the new stuff out there with all the XXX's can't mean as much as it did at one time. I have never been able to figure what is going on when they put those X's on a straw hat!?!

To some degree it is clearly that the more X's may mean some what a better quality. But in the Vintage department, I can think it safe that if you have a hat made before 1960 and it has some extra X's on it, it more than likely would attest some beaver in it.

We all are searching for hats, for one reason or another. I've been real lucky to find some killer hats for not so bad a price for myself and my Husband.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Yeah, the current trend of X rating on wool hats just grates me the wrong way. Just think, 70 years ago they would have hysterically laughed at the reference of a 'Premium XX Wool Fedora'.

And yes I realize I am preaching to the choir.

My Husband says they use the XX on a wool hat for some very intense reasons...it is where you aim your 12 gauge at....lol!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran