Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson fedora repair BEFORE and AFTER story

DickWhitmanMM

New in Town
hugestetsonbanda.jpg
I was--as some of you know--looking for a '50s Stetson fedora size 71/2 to 7 5/8. Well, I found one, of all places, the Goodwill outlet in Sodo dist of Seattle. It was in pretty bad condition but, like Charlie Brown and the tree, I was determined to nurture it back to life. Fedora Lounge regular TONYB referred me to "Conley Hats" - a small but venerable hat repair shop in the Madrona neighborhood. I was charged a total of $72 ($44 to clean and block and $28 to replace the sweatband) and all in all I'm pretty happy with his work. Anyone in the Seattle area in need hat repair (He LOVES vintage fedora's!) should contact him.
Anyway, here are the BEFORE and AFTER pics. The Stetson is from the late '40s apparently...the inside sweatband is (was) stamped 272940 if anyone here can verify the manuf. date that'd be cool....

Delthayre

One of the Regulars
Dooley knowt'd

That looks like a very excellent renovation. It's always nice to learn of hatters who are still working and even more so those who do good work.

The hat, especially after its repair and cleaning, looks wonderful. I think that you have gotten your money's worth all around.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Looks terrific. The old felts are well worth refurbishing. It's good to know the gentleman at Conley Hats enjoys working on them.

You might want to post his contact information and/or phone number for others in the Pacific Northwest who could use his services. It's always good to support reputable local and regional craftsmen.

THanks for posting.

DickWhitmanMM

New in Town
Good point CARTER-- and again, props to Tony for steering me in the right direction: Conley Hats, sir ALEXANDER CONLEY is at 1112 34th Ave. (just south of East Union Street on 34th). His phone # is (206) 322-1868.
*He makes custom-made hats as well, very cool guy, he said he's 73 but looks and acts ...er..late 50s.

Yeah, I was pretty stoked. All in all the '40s Fedora cost me under $75. It's a little more rewarding to have my fedora as a personal reclamation project as well...

I'd still like to know what the headband stamp indicates..anyone know? or the "model" of my fedora?

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Are you sure he didn't just switch hats?

Seriously, I am amazed. the price is not cheap in comparison to a smaller hat bought used, but for a quality hat in that size, in that condition when done, you would be hard pressed to find one for any less, plus there is something to be said for reclaiming it.

You were very lucky to find a hat in that size in any condition, let alone for next to nothing. I imagine most dealers would not even pick up something like that, hence, the outlet store final resting ground.

I wonder if he can resize a hat along the way?

Great job, Eric.

DickWhitmanMM

New in Town
haha. 100% truth-- it's the same hat. And yes, Alex does hat resizing.
I basically lucked out here-- I was willing and able to pay good money for a vintage Fedora once I found one in my size and era preference. And a chance-encounter at Goodwill (dragged in by my GF) led me to this.
The hat looked like a hobo-hat when I found it...
The pictures are impressive yes, but actually truth be told, in person you can detect some of the 60+ wear on the hat, and some of the staining is still there if you inspect it closely. The hat works well at night put it that way.
I misplaced the hat size tag but I do recall it being BLACK with gold lettering and diamond-esque shaped.

BTW. He gave me a cool vintage (very old) MALLORY hat box to take home with, the top is loose. If anyone wants it, to match their MALLORY hat I'd gladly swap it for a Stetson hat box.

Justdog

Practically Family
Work

[Anyway, here are the BEFORE and AFTER pics. The Stetson is from the late '40s apparently...the inside sweatband is (was) stamped 272940 if anyone here can verify the manuf. date that'd be cool....[/QUOTE]

Awesome restoration great care.:eusa_clap

TopGumby

One of the Regulars
If that hat could talk...

I'm sure it would buy you a drink! I hope you get another half century of use out of that hat.

If there is such a thing as positive hat Karma points, I think you earned a bunch.

carter

I'll Lock Up
DickWhitmanMM said:
...I basically lucked out here-- I was willing and able to pay good money for a vintage Fedora once I found one in my size and era preference. And a chance-encounter at Goodwill (dragged in by my GF) led me to this.
The hat looked like a hobo-hat when I found it...
The pictures are impressive yes, but actually truth be told, in person you can detect some of the 60+ wear on the hat, and some of the staining is still there if you inspect it closely. The hat works well at night put it that way.

BTW. He gave me a cool vintage (very old) MALLORY hat box to take home with, the top is loose. If anyone wants it, to match their MALLORY hat I'd gladly swap it for a Stetson hat box.

Paying good money for a vintage hat is fine but resurrecting a hobo-hat is something special indeed. It takes a good eye to spot a diamond in the rough and a good man to be willing to rescue a classic. Look at it this way, no hat will always be perfect if worn by it's owner. What it will have is character. You. my friend, have a hat with character because you could see good bones beneath that hobo-hat. My hat's off to you and your new lid! :cheers1:

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Dick Whitman (or should I call you "Don"?;) ) --

That is a fabulous restoration job, and I hope you are truly enjoying your lid. The liner logo is one that I generally associate with the mid-60's, although it might have been in use as early as the late 50's. I doubt, however, that your lid dates to the 40's. The nature of the size tag is also more consistent with a later lid.

This is not to take anything away from a great score. Wear it in good health!

Cheers,
JtL

Splitcoil

One of the Regulars
Nice!

I've already emailed Mr. Conley about a little work on a lid of mine. That looks great. May you wear it in health.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy