Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Fifteen 3X quality

Levallois

Practically Family
I know the whole X-thing has been discussed before but I saw this hat that has "Fifteen" on it but also 3X. This looked like an older hat (pre-1960s) and I'm guessing "15" is a reference to the price and 3X is the beaver content, or is it vice-versa? I need opinion about what kind of overall quality are we talking here? Thanks!

John

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
when you see a hat called Stetson fifteen or twenty , I believe this reflected the original price that the hat cost . I have seen hats that were called Stetson forty and Stetson one hundred as well . Dobbs and Knox also named their hats as Stetson .

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have seen a Resistol 100 that was also marked (in
the liner) "Kings 50" and carried a (vintage) $50
price sticker inside the sweat band.

As has been discussed before, these names/numbers
were not used consistently from year to year or
company to company.

But I would be glad to pay $100 for a Cavanagh 100
in size 7 1/2 or 7 5/8. If you should come across one,
let me know...

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
The best I own is a Stetson 40 that I paid a lot for because it was a 7 1/2 and it fit my fat head .Most of the hats I've seen are small sizes . I guess years ago ,many people had smaller heads.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
The number "15" "25" or "100" or whatever, is the price the hat originally sold for. The X rating applies to the supposed quality of the hat and no longer has anything to do with beaver content. It is only good for comparing hats made by the same manufacturer and even then it seems there is a wide varience.

fedoralover

varga49

One of the Regulars
besdor said:
The best I own is a Stetson 40 that I paid a lot for because it was a 7 1/2 and it fit my fat head .Most of the hats I've seen are small sizes . I guess years ago ,many people had smaller heads.

Heh Heh....I thought I was the only person who couldn't find larger sizes! after almost a year...I now have about 8 hats in size 7 1/2 or larger..the rest...the other 40 or so!!..are smaller but still nice!..well nice to look at anyway!

Not sure where to put this, so I'll revive this old thread to archive my Stetson Fifteen 3X Beaver Quality homburg.
Note dated sales slip!

fifteen1.jpg

fifteen2.jpg

fifteen8.jpg

fifteen6.jpg

fifteen7.jpg

fifteen5.jpg

fifteen3.jpg

fifteen4.jpg

tommyK

One Too Many
It's nice to contribute something here as I've learned so much;
My Stetson Fifteen

6 inch crown 3 inch brim

It's got all the bells and whistles, wind trolley, sweatguard behind sweatband
2014-08-14125547_zps57fc320e.jpg
Base on the style and dimensions I'm guessing it's from between the end of WWII and 1952 as it's got the stars in both the liner and the crest on the sweatband (let me know if I'm off here)
_DSC1144_zpse3ea44a6.jpg _DSC1142_zps96c947c7.jpg

Other details
_DSC1143_zps2101a704.jpg

_DSC1141_zps05274f52.jpg
_DSC1148_zps25d7fc43.jpg _DSC1149_zps60e434f8.jpg

_DSC1146_zpse9898fb6.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters