Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Gun Club Catera

HalD

New in Town
Hi; Although I am a new member, I have been lurking for a while, enjoying the hat info. In the avitar, I am wearing a custom "Gus", I had made by the Jackson Hole Hat Company several years ago out of a 4x fur blank. It sure gets the looks.
I am looking for a more casual hat to wear while photographing and I was wondering is any member has any comments on the Stetson Catera?
Cheers,
HalD

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
It's a cowboy hat, 3 1/4" brim, downturned front and back. (I did find one vendor that showed it turned up on the sides.) It's a 4X, and should be fairly nice. Have you seen and touched one?

StetsonCatera.jpg

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
The Standard Fedora Lounge Response: It does look very nice, but have you considered that there are a whole bunch of similar Akubra models that are probably better made for around $50 less?

(Nothing against Stetson hats, I've owned and still own several, but those Australians make a better product for a fairer price nowadays.)

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
What we need is a "side by side" test." My budget is a bit strained, at the moment, but if I could find a "patron" to cover the cost of the two items, I would be happy to do all the work. :D :D :D :D

ScottyBlues

Familiar Face
Great hat!

I looked at one of those at a local shop, but I wound up buying the Diamond Jim. The style is very similar, except it is black and has a braided leather hat band.

I think you'd be very happy with that hat.

One question: when does a fedora become a cowboy hat. The crown on the Catera is not unlike what many fedoras sport. Likewise, I've seen fedoras with downturned brims and brims this wide. Is it the hat band? It just seems like this hat is so like a fedora, but it obviously has a cowboy vibe. Any thoughts?

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
ScottyBlues said:
One question: when does a fedora become a cowboy hat. The crown on the Catera is not unlike what many fedoras sport. Likewise, I've seen fedoras with downturned brims and brims this wide. Is it the hat band? It just seems like this hat is so like a fedora, but it obviously has a cowboy vibe. Any thoughts?

It's sometimes hard to say. All man made categories are inclined to have fuzzy boundaries. Europeans have had brim widths of 3", or more, throughout most of the last century (especially in Italy). Yet, they don't think of them as "cowboy" hats.

At best, words like "FEDORA" just give us a general idea of what is being discussed. NOTE: This is the FEDORA LOUNGE, but we also discuss "newsboys" and "pith helmets." :D :D :D :D

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
This is my Stetson Gun Club that I picked up on e-bay a couple of months ago. It doesn't seem to have any other named style---just Gun Club. It is 4-X, but when it comes to Stetsons, I'm not sure what that means. I think it once meant 40% beaver fur felt, but I'm pretty sure that is no longer true.

In my mind it is more of a fedora and less of a "cowboy hat". Indeed, It seems to go a bit better with my suits than it does with this flight jacket.

1-1.jpg

JackiesTesters064.jpg

Atticus

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Atticus Finch said:
...It is 4-X, but when it comes to Stetsons, I'm not sure what that means. I think it once meant 40% beaver fur felt, but I'm pretty sure that is no longer true.

Stetson's (HATCO'S) official response is "We have never told anybody our X formula, and we are not about to do so, now." (That's a paraphrase, you understand.)

We've gotten that response, both here in the Lounge (One of their employees was a member, for a while.), and at their outlet store, in Garland, Texas.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Colby Jack said:
I really like the Dune model...Looks kinda like an Open Road....:eusa_clap

I agree, the Dune is very snazzy looking.

You know, I was seriously considering getting a Dune last year to be my new hiking lid... But instead, I ended up getting two Akubra country hats for essentially the same money - the lined Stockman for winter and the ventilated Cattleman for summer.

After all... Two hats are better than one! (Sorry.)

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
I have that exact model--the Catera--and love it. Great looking. Had to have it shaped to fit, though. Although not a true Western hat (despite the maker), I still wear it riding quite a bit.

HalD

New in Town
Go with the flow!

Thanks every one for your input. I ordered an Akubra Riverina from Outback Trading. No matter, that for that price (47.95) I can bash it like I want and join all the others on the lounge that have ordered it.
Thanks for all the input.
Cheers,

ptjoe

Familiar Face
A nice hat you may like as an alternative to the Catera is Akubra's Lawson.
I also am a fan of Stetson, but the Akubra's are better priced and I think today better made than Stetson, one man's opinion.
Try looking at the Lawson, it may be to your liking.
It comes with a bound edge and a really sharp braided hat band as well as a 3" brim.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner